M/T: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

M/T: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrol ... 446E4B611F
Purists may insist that the iconic Blazer badge should only be applied to a traditional SUV and not a crossover, but they'll be trampled by consumers happy that Chevy finally competes head on with the Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Compared to those rivals, the 2019 Chevrolet Blazer offers a unique design—that much is clear. But how much substance backs up the 2019 Blazer's style? We drove the new two-row model to find out.
A) I'm not sure those purists would line up with cash to buy a 2 door body on frame SUV, so I call BS on that mattering at all (EDIT: and furthermore, they are also probably not in the demographic for this Blazer, so why should GM care at all whether they approve of the nameplate use??). There is actually no precedent or indicator that a market exists for a 2 door body on frame SUV. There IS a market for "off-road" type pickup trucks, and GM has a good offering in the midsize segment. Aside from the bed, the important aspect is, the pickups also typically have 4 doors. Most people want 4 or more doors on their vehicles, even while they can also be considered frivolous purchases (i.e. a Raptor). Anyway, historically, the vehicle we would be talking about would be a 2 door Tahoe. I do not see that fitting anywhere in the market. The last fullsize 2 door SUVs were around in the 95-96 timeframe, over 20 years ago. SUVs didn't really take off in the first place UNTIL they had 4 doors!!

B) This IS a "Blazer" in the sense of the S-10 Blazer and Trailblazer which, aside from being body on frame, was a midsize family-type vehicle, way more than a K-5 Blazer ever was, with its solid front axle and "modest" interior appointments. The emphasis was on street manners and practicality more than some kind of off-road fashion statement. Just like the new one. Fun fact: "Tahoe" was a trim on the S-10 Blazer before it was its own model.

The S-10 Blazer and Trailblazer, as 4 doors, were around from 1991 to 2009 (probably produced in the 2+ million range total). You would literally have to pretend those years never existed to think that the only Blazer can be in the image of the K-5. I happen to know someone who thinks cars didn't happen in those years so that may not be a coincidence, eh? Ribbing aside, I think my version of history more accurately represents reality in that case, based on the case I've laid out above. Remember, the people who bought those 2 million S-10 Blazers and Trailblazers weren't typically enthusiasts - it was just a family vehicle. So none of those people are chiming in and expressing their supposed disdain (or approval) for the new Blazer. I think all of this context is very important in the age of constant internet outrage.

You COULD, however, at least make the argument "then why use the Blazer name if it is only recognizable by K-5 enthusiasts?" I'd say, because that's not true. People may not have been enthusiasts of their midsize family SUV but they DO remember the nameplate which, turns out, is still worth something. Even if they aren't mashing on their keyboards about it all over the internet.

Anyway, it does resemble the 2019 Camaro inside and out which is interesting.
kevm14

Re: M/T: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrol ... A60D03B07E
How Cruising in a 2019 Chevrolet Blazer in Detroit is Different
Unexpected reactions make us rethink this SUV

Somewhere between Detroit and Dearborn, cruising the potholed I-94 freeway, I saw frantic arms and big smiles coming from a late-model Chrysler 300 in the next lane. Two young guys, baseball caps on backwards and slouched down for the posture you are supposed to adopt in a used 300 in the Motor City, were grinning and giving me enthusiast thumbs up.

Why? I was spending a week in the 2019 Chevrolet Blazer Premier, which has a pronounced hood, high beltline, floating roof and overall badass design that stands out from the cookie-cutter design that plagues this high-volume segment. And in the "D," the reinvention of the Blazer is cool if the antics of those around me are any indication.

Bringing back the Blazer name on midsize, car-based, four-door crossover is a move mired in controversy. The 2019 Blazer is not a body-on-frame SUV, or a two-door, and does not have a removable roof. Purists are aghast that the name, which dates back to 1969 and has not been used since 2005, would return in such an unfitting manner.
Then there are those who don't remember the original truck-based Blazer but recognize the name and think it's cool. Many consumers have been waiting for a midsize crossover to slot between the compact Equinox and full-size Traverse—to them, a right-sized crossover with a cool name is a bonus.

Second proof point: as I was leaving the office one day, I saw a local police cruiser drive through MotorTrend's back parking lot. It slowed as it passed the parked Blazer, then shifted into reverse and backed up for a second look. The cruiser sat there, checking it out, until it noticed my leaving the building, and then it moved on.

After a week in the Blazer, I was seduced by the sporty exhaust note from the 3.6-liter V-6 in our all-wheel-drive Premier tester. The crossover had lots of power at the ready, with its 308 horsepower and 270 lb-ft of torque. The base Blazer has a 193-hp, 188-lb-ft 2.5-liter inline-four-cylinder engine and is front-wheel drive only. Both are mated to a nine-speed automatic transmission.

The five-passenger Blazer—spy shots have captured a three-row version under development—has the same bones as the Cadillac XT5 and XT6 as well as the GMC Acadia. The Blazer has the same substantial feel to it but adds a feisty nimbleness that pairs with the exhaust note like a juicy steak and a nice bottle of Shiraz.

The Blazer is festooned with Camaro design cues. Even though I was in a Graphite Metallic Premier and not the bright red RS that catches the most eyeballs, the SUV's distinctive and sporty look still attracts attention in the Motor City where drivers know their vehicles, especially from the hometown teams.

The 2019 Blazer's interior smacks of Camaro as well. I like the large, in-your-face and intuitive air vents: you turn them to adjust the temperature. The cabin looks more practical than luxurious, with lots of plastic and standard-looking trim and materials even though the Premier, which starts at $43,895, is supposed to be the luxury counterpart to the sporty RS trim. The Blazer Premier's two-tone black and tan is attractive enough and there are heated and cooled seats, heated but plain steering wheel, and easily accessible USB ports for people in both rows. The infotainment screen is nicely integrated into the dash, graphics are crisp, and HVAC and other functional buttons are nicely displayed and intuitive to use.

Both rows are roomy and the rear seat reclines and slides for extra legroom or cargo room, which is important given that the cargo hold is not as ample as much of the competition.

The 2019 Blazer is now on sale and we will see more of them on the road—especially in Michigan where SUVs make sense and many buyers have GM connections for employee pricing. If reactions received this past week are any indication, the Blazer nameplate could become a common sight once again.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-ch ... 949EA661F4
2019 Chevrolet Blazer Premier: Why I'd Buy It - Frank Markus
I’ll take the Camaro of SUVs, please

by: Frank Markus Photos: Manufacturer May 30, 2019

"What SUV should I buy?" It's a question consumers ask themselves every day, but what would technical director Frank Markus drive? Keep reading for the answer, and see other editors' picks here.

We're a DINC couple of a certain (semi-centennial) age, and I'm an engineer who loves cars and gadgetry. My sense of style absolutely precludes ownership of the vast majority of SUVs and crossovers purely because they look too ugly or plain. I'm impatient by nature and prone to running slightly late, so performance is pretty important. We own a lake place, and although we're not boaters, I sometimes need to hitch up a rented trailer for runs to the dump or hauling oversized items around (a 3,500-pound rating gets my jobs done). My Michigan climate—political and weather-wise—make all-wheel drive and a Detroit Three label attractive. Plug all these factors into my Decid-O-Meter 9000, along with a hard price ceiling of $50,000 (dictated by my income and fiscal responsibility levels), and after some grinding and whirring, the slip of paper it spits out reads: 2019 Chevrolet Blazer AWD Premier.

My inner geek kinda wants a hybrid—more so I can play with the gas-mileage optimizing user interface than for the actual money- or climate-savings it promises—but the gorgeous new 2020 Explorer Limited Hybrid, at $55,570 to start with AWD, is too far out of my price range, and it's bigger than I need. We're promised that the forthcoming 2020 Lincoln Corsair will include a hybrid variant, but when, at what price, and will it tow 3,500 pounds? Other SUVs that generally met the criteria include the 2019 Lincoln Nautilus, but its zoomy 2.7-liter twin-turbo busts my budget, and frankly the Chevy's sportier appearance appeals.

Another of my absolute must-haves is an interior that's neither all-black nor gray at all, and the Blazer Premier's Maple Sugar and black offering features piping, stitching, grain, and gloss that belie its Bow Tie badging. Sadly, this color scheme can't be had with my first exterior color choice (Sunlit Bronze), but it pairs fine with Oakwood Metallic. The Premier trim's equipment is pretty comprehensive, but I'm adding $2,165 worth of "Driver Confidence" (wireless charging for my iPhone 8, full adaptive cruise and forward collision mitigation, and Intellibeam lighting, among other things) and another $185 for the cargo compartment shade and net. No thanks on the top-heavy sunroofs, ride-killing 21-inch rims, or pricey entertainment systems.

For $49,145 ($47,145 after local cash allowances) I end up with a ute that—at 6.1 seconds to 60 mph and 14.7 seconds through the quarter mile at 95.5 mph—is a wee bit quicker and better handling than my beloved Hemi-powered 2018 Dodge Durango 4 R/T long-termer, and it's 4/3 mpg city/highway more efficient to boot. It's also a shade quicker if slightly less dynamically adroit or efficient than its chief rival, the racy Ford Edge ST. I'm basically expecting to feel like I'm piloting a taller, easier to see out of, vastly more useful V-6 Camaro—especially every time I go to dial the temperature up or down by spinning the central vent surrounds (so cool). Oh, and I'll be buying and holding for six-digit mileage accumulation—as that's the best way to get your money's worth.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2976 ... 739&src=nl

What a strange world it is these days.

Also I think Bill should go drive a Blazer. Well I know there's always a risk that you might like it...that would be terrible because it would conflict with the narrative that Blazer = K-5 Blazer which I've repeatedly proven is dumb.

Snarky points aside, I have read that the RS is really the trim to get as the base ones kind of suck. The MSRP of the RS is nearly $42k so it would depend greatly upon getting thousands off which is entirely possible.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Yeah, problem is 42K is way too much for me to even consider. For context, they are selling brand new 1SS Camaros for 34K.