Brief outage early 8/19/23

Power out? How about an inverter connected to your car?
kevm14

Brief outage early 8/19/23

Post by kevm14 »

I think it was in the range of 45 minutes (at 2am) but naturally everyone woke up. It's always disruptive to sleep. After a few minutes I figured it would come back on (routine maintenance) but eventually I heard my phone receive a text and e-mail notification for the outage. I decided to get the generator out and run it so we could actually sleep.

I don't remember when I last run it so I was curious about that Li-Ion starting battery. I turned the fuel on to let it fill the bowl for a moment. Also I found the power switch in the on position so I guess Ian got to it at some point. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to draw any power like this. I pulled the choke out, flicked the rocker to the momentary start position and it cranked strongly and fired up in like 3 revolutions. Excellent.

I did shut the dehumidifier breaker off but left everything else on. Including the window A/C in our master bed.

It ran for a total of 4 hrs and 12 minutes but only needed to run for 45 minutes or so. Meh. It was good to exercise it anyway. We could barely hear it over the HEPA filter and oscillating fan on low.

Final specs:
20230819_064428.jpg

Pretty good line to line balance. if I divide the total energy use by the approx run time, we get an average load of 1.69 kW. Higher than I expected.