Lexus SC400 Timing Belt

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
Adam

Re: Lexus SC400 Timing Belt

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:They could have done as Nissan did with the VQ35 in James' G35x and used dual TBs, dual MAFs and dual air intake boxes. For symmetry.
Another example of Nissan awesomeness.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:So that's compact and light? I'd hate to see large and heavy.
The internet says it weighs about 390 lbs fully dressed and about 490lbs with the transmission. That's a cast aluminum block/heads/intake. I don't know what any other engines weigh except a cast iron big block Chevy engine (about 600lbs fully dressed).

Other fun info from wikipedia:
- Oversquare, 87.5mm bore, 82.5mm stroke
- 6-bolt mains (!)
- Factory hypereutectic pistons
- Steel crank
- Over the engine's life it increased output by ~50hp and ~50lb-ft in some applications.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:Probably too late but B12 Chemtool for cleaning that TB is what you want. Regular carb cleaner is nowhere near as good, depending on how baked on that gunk was.
It was pretty baked on. I used some CRC throttle body cleaner that we had here. Worked pretty good, needed about half a can between the initial cleaning and later soaking.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote:
kevm14 wrote:So that's compact and light? I'd hate to see large and heavy.
The internet says it weighs about 390 lbs fully dressed and about 490lbs with the transmission. That's a cast aluminum block/heads/intake. I don't know what any other engines weigh except a cast iron big block Chevy engine (about 600lbs fully dressed).
390lb fully dressed is actually pretty light. The LS6 is in the same ballpark. Or at least the LS7 is. I don't know what an aluminum LT1 weighs.