EGR on '96 Roadmaster

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
Fast_Ed

EGR on '96 Roadmaster

Post by Fast_Ed »

Well, the Roadmaster passed safety with flying colors, but failed emissions for the EGR code.

I verified that the caprice EGR was the same part number, and swapped it. Nothing. In checking the vacuum hoses, of course I broke one of the plastic connectors. So I took my spool of vacuum hose, and borrowed a tee from my boost gauge to replace the lines. Nothing, EGR code after second startup, every time.

I went so far as to order a new EGR valve and gasket, but cancelled the order. The code was P0403, EGR CIRCUIT something something. That night, I checked the wiring. Sure enough, one of the two wires running to the solenoid was broken off of the connector. Why didn't I see this earlier? No idea.

20 bucks later for weatherpack connector, and the Roadmaster is back to legal driving status.
kevm14

Re: EGR on '96 Roadmaster

Post by kevm14 »

Ha. Yeah I know you'd been asking but anything that triggers immediately upon start up isn't going to be plumbing or mechanical. So, glad it was an easy (satisfying) fix.

My Caprice threw a low MAP code, AGAIN, upon startup. Then it cleared. Someday I will fix that wiring.
Fast_Ed

Re: EGR on '96 Roadmaster

Post by Fast_Ed »

Yeah, I had that same feeling when it came on that quickly. It seemed like other reports on impala ss forums showed that it would take miles and miles for the code to come back.

Although, a failure in the solenoid could look like this same sort of issue. At any rate, it was a pretty satisfying fix.