C/D: Mid-engined Corvette mule spotted

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

Re: C/D: Mid-engined Corvette mule spotted

Post by kevm14 »

I would argue that each design choice in the Corvette was made because it supported the end goal of supreme sports car value. An MR configuration will raise the bar (again) for what is possible under this mission.
You do realize Zora Arkus Duntov, the man who made Corvette what it is today, originally wanted Corvettes to be rear mid-engined right? As long as the small block V8 doesn't go away no one will care where the engine is.
The small block is a core characteristic of the Corvette. However, that has been because it is always the best solution for what needs to be done. Recall the C4 ZR-1 used a bespoke LT5 because they couldn't do what they needed to do with pushrods. It shouldn't seem like they are arbitrarily choosing the small block. They do so for a reason. Same reason that they would choose something else in the future, if necessary. Do I want to see a shift away from the small block in Corvette? Not at all. One may be concerned that even if the "C8" uses a special engine, that it will trickle down and replace the rest of the line over time. But that didn't happen with the LT5 because, again, they got what they needed from the small block. Don't forget it provides key advantages, not just sheer legacy. So you'd have to credit its replacement (if any) with those same things if it has even more advantages.

One thing I'd be careful about if I were chief engineer at GM powertrain is to make sure I didn't lose the tremendous developmental advantage of leveraging engine R&D from Corvette all the way down the line.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I think that maybe if the Corvette had had different overall design cues, powertrains, etc. over the last 60 years, changes at this point in the game would be expected and welcomed, but when something is inherently the same for 60 years, I feel like that is what is becomes. If the Corvette went front wheel drive when just about everything else in the Chevy lineup did in the early 90's, and had a turbo 6 in the 90's since that was big with foreign competitors the MR AWD electric turbo 6 would be just another generation. GM locked the Corvette into an 8 cylinder Rear Drive long hood car for 60 years. To me, that is what it is. If you have a car, and remove everything that defines it except high performance, you could be talking about anything. So they are keeping the Corvette name for sales, that is it really, and anyone that connects to the Corvette name for what it is today will hate it.

If the car is for a new generation of kids to have on the wall, why not give it a new name. This instantly removes the baggage of fat, sixty something, douche, golfer car.

I would compare this to when Ford was going to make the Probe the next Mustang. People that wanted the Mustang didn't want the sleeker, 6 cyl FWD. They wanted a Mustang. Ford made both, and really, both did well. If the Probe was a better performer and a better idea in general, it would have been fine. I bet if it were RWD with a bigger 6 it actually would have excelled.

Just to be clear, I am not saying GM shouldn't do what ever it takes to stay competitive. If they think they need a car with these new attributes I just think they should call it something different. They could actually kill a great car by calling it a Corvette. Look at the 2000's GTO. That is an insanely great car (especially for the money they cost used - 14K for a 6.0), that is a perfect sleeper. It bombed because they called it a GTO and everyone said "That isn't a GTO" so a great car tanked due to expectations of the old name. Also as far as performance, the 2006 GTO had more performance than a 60's GTO did.

At the end of the day this is all opinion, but I think that there is precedent that old names come with baggage.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »