Wife's old car (2008 Cadillac SRX)

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Wife's new car (2008 Cadillac SRX)

Post by kevm14 »

Aimed the fog lights. They were pointed too far down. Now they nicely supplement the lower end of the headlights the way my CTS-V does.

My Caprice has better brake feel. I wonder if the SRX will get a set of stainless braided hoses at some point. Or at least a bleed/flush.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Some wetness in the jack storage area (fairly common). Really just damp, but some folks have it so bad that there's standing water. Something to keep an eye on.
Or it could have been from shampooing the carpet (if they did).

Sources that have surfaced over the years:
Fender well seals, tail light seals, rear hatch lights, rear hatch seal, rear hatch pinch weld, rear washer hose, Ultraview panel......and the list goes on.
And some leaks are not really the fault of the vehicle/design at all:
I have a 2004 srx i just purchase it 9/22/10 i had a small spot to come on my headliner at rear .and the jack compartment was fill with water.
after reading some of your post. I call a company call the waterdoctor.

today He found the leak at the gps antenna it had been hit by a automatic car wash brush.He reseal no leaks now. you call locate the waterdoctor.com you have to take the antenna off and seal around the wires coming into the headliner.
Speaking of shampooing, but no:
Just bought my 2007 SRX4 V8 Sport in Jewel Red after Christmas. It had come off a 3-year lease and had been on the dealer's lot for 3+ months. I drove it twice over that time and decided it would make an excellent replacement for out aging family hauler van (2001 Windstar LTD). With only 45,000 miles (75,000 km), it appears to have been well maintained and was very clean without a mark on the body. Sure enough, there was some mild dampness down in the the jack storage bin which had transferred some rust marks into the carpet from the bottom of the jack. After completely cleaning it and fully drying the carpeting, I repainted the jack bottom to resolve the rust and reassembled things. A month later and it is still very dry. The carpeting in general was slightly damp when I took delivery as it had been shampooed some time earlier and just didn't fully dry (sitting on a dealer's lot in winter?). I thought perhaps this was the source of the storage area dampness or this may just be wishful thinking on my part.
My wishful thinking turned out to be just that. The dampess turned to a small pond after several heavy rains last fall. Kept vacuuming it out and using a fan heater to dry the carpeting but the source wasn't found. There were no obvious signs of water in the headliner thankfully. Highland GMC in Aurora brought in a leak detection service and they resealed the body seams at the top of the rear hatch plus repaired the sunroof drains (I assume they were plugged or disconnected) for $257 CDN. Money well worth spending as it has stopped further leaking for now. I was able to get the carpet nearly dry (given it is winter) but really need to lift the carpeting and dry the sound deadening underpad completely. Any DIY's on how the get the various trims off to do this? I don't want to start breaking the back sill or side panels!!!
I want to say the lousy weld is one of the more common causes that won't be too difficult to check for and then seal:
I don't think you have a leak. The dampness probably from what you stated: they detailed the car including shampooing the jack well, dropped the tray back in and closed the lid. There was no where for the moisture to disperse. They may have even did a quick once over shampooing right before you took delivery. I wasn't so lucky with my 07 But the source of the leak was found quickly, faulty pinch welds (translation: holes in the welds) around the hatch.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Holy Shit!!! It is 6000 lbs!

I didn't get that impression from looking at it, but yeah, I guess it is the size of 2 Mazda 3's.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That's a fail, strike 2.

6,000 lbs is the gross vehicle weight. Meaning the car, plus all people and cargo. It cannot exceed that weight.

First HHR cost, now this. Come on Bill!
Bob

Post by Bob »

This is an SRX, not an Escalade.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Well... That is a stupid stat for a build sheet. This is the order/what was delivered. It didn't come with people did it?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Insert Cadillac joke about bodies.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:Some wetness in the jack storage area (fairly common). Really just damp, but some folks have it so bad that there's standing water. Something to keep an eye on.
Or it could have been from shampooing the carpet (if they did).
It rained last night. Motored the 3rd row up and checked the jack well. Dry!

Hope that continues.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

A day after I bought it, I noticed the driver's side marker lamp within the headlight assembly was burnt out. My CTS-V has similar lights. Obviously I missed this when I inspected exterior lighting when I picked it up originally. Whoops.

Brought it back to Barry's today and they replaced the bulb, which did require a bit of labor (I think you have to remove the headlight assembly from the car, and to do that, you have to remove the front bumper cover, same as on my CTS-V). All good now.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I just washed it. Hard to reach the roof.

The body is pretty clean overall. The worst thing on the car is the rear bumper cover which has a few small scrapes.

When I was washing the front bumper area, I noticed the driver's side fog light was loose. It would push in when I pressed on it with the mitt. Naturally I began to curse Barry's but I didn't really know if it was loose before. I did aim the fog lights the other day and didn't notice it then.

I laid down on the ground and took a closer look. Naturally you can't get to anything without pulling the bumper cover. But I did pull two of the plastic rivets to see if I could get my hand up behind to feel around. After studying it for a while, I did notice a few of the plastic push rivets are missing. But then it occurred to me that, maybe, just maybe, the bottom of the fog light assembly is held in place by one of the plastic rivets that goes through the bottom of the bumper.

I put a rivet back in a position that I'm guessing was previously vacant (at least after I got it back from Barry's) and sure enough that holds the fog light in place, so it doesn't push in. Wow. So that's fixed, too. I should order the right ones and replace the missing ones.