RMW getting Monroe Severe Service

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
Fast_Ed

RMW getting Monroe Severe Service

Post by Fast_Ed »

On the front anyways... I ordered them yesterday. Kinda excited to see the difference.

I assume that a set of four of these shocks will turn this car into a 5 series wagon. I only ordered the fronts. I know where I can find some rears to match, though...
kevm14

Re: RMW getting Monroe Severe Service

Post by kevm14 »

Both Adam and I will tell you the benefits of a matched set on these cars. I drove around for some time with front Bilsteins and original rear shocks.

I am actually very interested in how it will feel. The spring rate on the RMW is fairly...comfortable. So it will have plenty of damping.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Adam can't tell me about the matched set thing.. The rear Monroe's I've got my eye on were originally targeted for installation on the caprice. It only had the fronts.. Not sure what was on the rears.

At any rate (pun?), I'd like to do a matched set on this car. The rears are really really easy, just not sure I'll have the time before this weekend. Interestingly, I have rear air bags installed, so I guess that means I have a variable spring rate back there?

I chose the air bags vice load leveling shocks in the rear with the intent of eventually installing a stiffer shock, like these. I just never thought I would be doing it already.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Fast_Ed wrote: without having to waste all your efforts simply keeping it on the road.
Pun intended?

What do you run on the caprice?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Fast_Ed wrote:I assume that a set of four of these shocks will turn this car into a 5 series wagon.
Maybe a 7-series wagon, with 2 flat tires.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

More like four half flat tires.

If only they offered a 7-series wagon.... with a small block... I'd be in!!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I've actually never driven a car with those SS shocks. Kind of curious.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Fast_Ed wrote:Adam can't tell me about the matched set thing..
Sigh.

Just having the fronts installed made a huge difference on the way that car drove. The rears seemed fine (plenty of damping, 'cause GM), so I never got around to installing them. Then something about rust...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Speaking from when I did my front suspension rebuild and did the front Bilsteins separately from the rear, it does make a difference when you get the rears on. But not as much as the front.