Step One Remove Engine

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
Fast_Ed

Re: Step One Remove Engine

Post by Fast_Ed »

kevm14 wrote:And my final reply:
Agreed on the quirkyness. Though not sure what ergonomic mishap causes the cruise to engage on the contour when you're reaching for the stereo. As far as ergonomic mishaps, both of my cars have the GM unistalk on the left of the steering column. Turn signal, high beams, cruise and wipers baby! To be honest, while most reviews tend to malign this setup, I find it very easy to use with everything in one place. So there you go.
The SAAB has radio controls on the steering wheel. The SVT Contour has cruise control on the steering wheel, as does the Saturn. So I still have this problem. I tend to accelerate the Saturn when I want to turn up radio. It takes a while to notice.

On the handling, I'll just have to sample it on some real roads. I'm sure that'll happen someday.
It hasn't happened yet, but there's still a chance!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Fast_Ed wrote:
On the handling, I'll just have to sample it on some real roads. I'm sure that'll happen someday.
It hasn't happened yet, but there's still a chance!
Getting a sticker is the first step...
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Center resonator should be here today (Bosal). I sprung for a pair of new centric rear rotors because I realized I prefer one inspection to multiple.

And last time it passed despite pouring oil all over.... everything... So I'm hoping this will do it, because nothing has worn out since then!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I don't think my Caprice has ever failed safety, in spite of:
- non-working horn
- non-working parking brake
- various rust
- all kinds of fluid leaks
- tires that had to be below 4/32"

Maybe that's it. It has a working parking brake now. Or I think so. I spent time and money rehabbing that thing some inspections ago because I was worried, but it turns out they don't care on an automatic. I'll just leave it alone.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Well, the Bosal center resonator came in last night. The welds are... well, they exist. I'll try to remember to post pics. It's under the car, so who cares.

But I'm probably not going to the trouble to paint this piece of art. I haven't done an aluminized exhaust, so I guess I'll see what happens.

Maybe it will rust at the same rate as the original rear muffler, and I can finally get that stainless sport catback to complement the 3" stainless downpipe/"race cat" that I installed so many years ago.

The only thing I need now is time and penetrating oil.. Or maybe penetrating oil and time.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

kevm14 wrote:I don't think my Caprice has ever failed safety, in spite of:
- non-working horn
- non-working parking brake
- various rust
- all kinds of fluid leaks
- tires that had to be below 4/32"

Maybe that's it. It has a working parking brake now. Or I think so. I spent time and money rehabbing that thing some inspections ago because I was worried, but it turns out they don't care on an automatic. I'll just leave it alone.
Where did you get those inspections? Tire Prose?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Precarious and sundried locations.

D&M, Tyre Prose...
Adam

Post by Adam »

Found some pics of this repair on the garage camera. Also some random shots of Saab parts. I didn't take these photos.

Oil cap. Notice the overly complex PCV system.
DSCN5729.JPG
Throttle body coolant bypass, I think.
DSCN5730.JPG
Closeup of the PCV system.
DSCN5732.JPG
Back of the engine bay, complete with oil residue.
DSCN5733.JPG
Master cylinder.
DSCN5734.JPG
Oil coating on the steering rack.
DSCN5735.JPG
O2 and bypass hose removed.
DSCN5736.JPG
Fuse box?
DSCN5737.JPG
So many grounds.
DSCN5738.JPG
Exhaust is off.
DSCN5739.JPG
Adam

Post by Adam »

Side of the transmission. Lots of oil here too.
DSCN5740.JPG
All the parts.
DSCN5741.JPG
Engine nearly ready to come out.
DSCN5742.JPG
Engine comes out the side, for your convenience.
DSCN5744.JPG
Pre-rebuild turbo shots.
DSCN5746.JPG
DSCN5747.JPG
DSCN5748.JPG
DSCN5751.JPG
DSCN5752.JPG
DSCN5753.JPG
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

And the car is inspected!! I can now legally drive the saab for two whole years.. Physical ability to drive the car is a factor, of course.

The boost issue continues. I am almost considering a new thread on that at this point, since Step Two: install engine has already been accomplished.