Caprice engine swap?

Non-repair car talk
Adam

Re: Caprice engine swap?

Post by Adam »

billgiacheri wrote: Oh sweet, 17 mpg and 220 HP Perfect!!!
More like 18 mpg and 260 HP.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Here's a nicely equipped, fairly clean LT1 Caprice: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5295819231.html
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Dude. You have no idea how good that timing is.

I was talking about EXACTLY this with Adam today at lunch (not this actual car).

Since I'm as close as I've ever been to this decision, this is a very interesting posting, and is...almost exactly what I want.

Damn. Even has V08 and B4U, so it drives more or less like a 9C1 (minus the extra body mounts I suspect). But the rust thing is key. Miles don't matter. For $2,000...that is so tempting. Wonder if he'd take that.

Would you be able to like drive it for me? And possibly store it at your house until I could come get it?
Adam

Post by Adam »

How....convenient.

I have a whole 9C1 worth of parts that would mostly fit that car (not the stuff slated for the Monte Carlo). This includes a terrible blue interior and some cloth seats.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Here are some parts that may or may not be useful or be an upgrade from a civilian car:

Steering box - the B4U might have the upgraded 9C1 box?
Sway bars - Probably already has these? Did the B4U use the 9C1 suspension with a normal ride height?
Coil springs - so you can hop all the curbs
ABS unit - although retrofitting that into a Monte Carlo would be very interesting
All the interior switch gear
Several non-rusty body panels
Some number of power window motors (I think they all worked)
The windshield (good luck removing that)
Exterior lights
Ticket writing light and harness
Rear Monroe Severe-Service shocks (still in box)
Front Monroe Severe-Service shocks (some miles...)
Rubber floor
AM/FM radio
Gas tank
9C1 drive shaft (not sure if this is a thing. Fun fact, it is on the P71)
Non-engine related harnesses
Air bags (although the air bag light was on last time I looked)
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Fun B4U fact:
1996 Production:
B4U - SPORT PERFORMANCE PACKAGE - 9046 built
WX3 - Impala SS - 33031 built
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

More B4U fun. I do recall these were special even back in the day.
The B4U package isn't "just" a HD towing package, per se--the combination of mandatory items that are in the "spec" end up MAKING B4U a tow-rated vehicle by GM standards. It's semantics--B4U IS tow capable, no matter what additional heavy-duty options were or were not selected that weren't already required in the "must order" list for B4U. Since the car was not delivered WITH a hitch, it's not defined as a tow vehicle, thus the "Sport Performance" name. At least that's my take.

B4U Sport Performance package included:
LT1 engine
GW9 (2.93) axle
G80 limited slip
8.5" wide housing rear axle with 11" drum brakes
(per Compnine, 1996 B4U included these RPO's - all 9046 cars built in 1996):
FE3 suspension (front & rear bars, 12.7 steering gear)
V08 HD cooling - w/mechanical fan & single electric fan
V92 trailer provisions
15" wheels & tires suitable/rated for towing
Not sure if the anti-roll bars and spring rates are 9C1 spec or not. Other than V08 cooling, it's a sweet package for a civilian Caprice. Kind of a nice blend of 9C1 and Impala SS, without the SS price. Call it a 94-96 LTZ if they continued it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote:Here are some parts that may or may not be useful or be an upgrade from a civilian car:

Steering box - the B4U might have the upgraded 9C1 box?
It is 12.7 so I dunno if it's like the 9C1 or even like that 92 Caprice we drove in Middletown. Quick ratio anyway.
Adam wrote:Sway bars - Probably already has these? Did the B4U use the 9C1 suspension with a normal ride height?
Yeah same as FE2 and up apparently on the bars. Still not sure what the spring rates are. It uses FE3 I believe.
Adam wrote:All the interior switch gear
Looks like it needs two of the HVAC knobs...
Adam wrote:Rear Monroe Severe-Service shocks (still in box)
Front Monroe Severe-Service shocks (some miles...)
May want those...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Probably could rename this thread to "Caprice swap" but I digress...

Things to check if you can look at the car:
Exterior
- Curious about how bad the paint is and where it has issues, though I already know it's better than my Caprice.
- I assume the broken antenna is power...
- Pic of the windshield crack
- Pic of any other actual damage (dents, large scratches)
- Really curious about certain spots underneath for rust, like under/behind the rear bumper cover, up in the frame area. I would like to look at the brake lines but that will be difficult. A couple general pics of the rear axle area, as well as the frame rails on both sides (with some of the body also) would probably help.

Interior
- Both power seats
- All 4 windows fully up and down
- Power mirrors (both)
- A/C

Powertrain
- Exhaust ticking when cold and under load, like when accelerating at part throttle
- ANY hesitation at all from a stop
- Any funky trans shifting at part throttle or full throttle is not normal. Unlike modern cars, you will feel the shift a little bit.
- I don't know how to check for leaks but maybe a shot from underneath of the front main seal and if you can reach, a shot of the oil pan/trans pan area

Chassis
- I don't really expect the steering to be tight or the shocks to be perfect but it shouldn't feel broken either.
- I expect the brakes to be fairly good. There will be some dead travel due to rear drums but again it should feel reasonably good and stop straight.

I realized this is a 96 so I can't program it with the tools I have. Kind of a bummer. Will have a 108 limiter...MIke O'D converted to a 95 PCM way back in the day and that would kick me to a dyno test I believe... so, excuse to engine swap sooner??
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think B4U also came with a leather wrapped wheel, but with that cover, I suppose it may have some issues. I hate steering wheel covers.