C/D drives 2016 Camaro SS

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

Re: C/D drives 2016 Camaro SS

Post by kevm14 »

I think they did this specifically to try to fix what they may perceive as a sales issue. It's not totally uncommon to do this mid-life but I don't think the 5th gen did. Then again it sold pretty strongly the entire time. If the Camaro was selling at the levels they wanted, I'd bet they wouldn't have released this cheaper model.

A 2017 1SS is $37,900. I think your argument shouldn't be that it is easy to get into the high 40s...it is with a 2SS and MR shocks, yes. Then again, a 1SS with MR shocks STILL comes in under $40k. Anyway, the argument should be that a 1SS still has too much equipment for a base model SS and there should be a cheaper version with less stuff. It comes with:
In addition to the 1LT features, the 2017 Camaro 1SS includes:
6.2L 455hp V8 engine
20-inch aluminum wheels with summer-only performance run-flat tires†
Brembo performance 4-wheel disc brakes
HID headlamps with LED signature lighting accents
Chevrolet MyLink† with 8-inch diagonal color touch-screen display
Uplevel instrument cluster
Mechanical
6.2L V8 Direct Injection engine
455 hp @ 6000 rpm
455 lb-ft of torque @ 4400 rpm
6-speed manual transmission
SS and ZL1® models include Active Rev Matching
Includes 3.27 rear axle ratio on LS and 2LT models
Includes 3.73 rear axle ratio on SS and ZL1 models
3.73 rear axle ratio Requires the 6-speed manual transmission.
External engine oil cooler LS and 2LT Coupe models require available Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package or V6 1LE Track Performance Package.
1LT Coupe models require the available Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.
Engine coolant, auxiliary LS and LT Coupe models require the 2.0L Turbo engine and the available Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.
Cooling system, extra capacity LS and 2LT Coupe models require available Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package or V6 1LE Track Performance Package.
1LT Coupe models require the available Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package.
Driver Selector Mode up to 4 modes available for various driving conditions - Snow/Ice, Tour, Sport and Track (SS and ZL1 models only)
Limited-slip rear differential
2LT Coupe models require available 6-speed manual transmission or V6 1LE Track Performance Package
LT Convertible models require the available 6-speed manual transmission
Rear differential cooler LS and 2LT Coupe models require the available V6 1LE Track Performance Package.
Cooler, transmission oil
Battery rundown protection
Rear wheel drive
Electric Power Steering Small, tight proportions and quick steering ratios contribute to a nimble, controlled feeling.
Brembo® 4-piston front and rear, performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc brakes
Fueling system, capless
Dual-outlet stainless steel exhaust with bright tips
Interior
Chevrolet MyLink® Radio1 with 8" diagonal color touch-screen
AM/FM stereo with seek-and-scan and digital clock 
Bluetooth®2 streaming audio for music and select phones
Voice-activated technology for radio and phone 
Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™3 capability for compatible phones
LS and 1LT models require the available Technology Package
1 MyLink functionality varies by model. Full functionality requires compatible Bluetooth and smartphone, and USB connectivity for some devices.MyLink on Camaro® does not include CD player. 
2 Go to www.my.chevrolet.com/learn to find out which phones are compatible with the vehicle.
3 Vehicle user interfaces are products of Apple and Google and their terms and privacy statements apply. Requires compatible smartphone and data plan rates apply. Apple CarPlay is a trademark of Apple Inc. Android Auto is a trademark of Google Inc.
6-speaker audio system Camaro® comes with a standard 6-speaker audio system.
Audio system feature, USB ports, 2 and auxiliary input jack
OnStar® 4G LTE and built-in Wi-Fi® hotspot1
Connect to the Internet at 4G LTE speeds
Includes OnStar Data Trial for 3 months or 3GB (whichever comes first)
1 Available 4G LTE Wi-Fi requires compatible mobile device, active OnStar service and data plan.  Visit www.onstar.com for details and system limitations.
SiriusXM® Satellite Radio1
Welcome to the world of SiriusXM®.1
Enjoy your 12-month trial subscription to the All Access package with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, exclusive talk, entertainment and news
Plus, listen on the app and online — it’s included with All Access, so you’ll hear the best SiriusXM has to offer, anywhere life takes you 
1 If you decide to continue service after your trial, the subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Fees and taxes apply. To cancel you must call us at 1-866-635-2349. See our Customer Agreement for complete terms at http://www.siriusxm.com. All fees and programming subject to change. © 2015 Sirius XM Radio Inc. Sirius, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of Sirius XM Radio Inc. All rights reserved.

Bluetooth for phone
Antenna, integral rear window
Antenna, OnStar and SiriusXM Satellite Radio, fin-type (Body-color.)
Seats, Cloth front Sport bucket (STD)
Seat adjuster, driver, 8-way power
6-way power-adjustable passenger seat Easy-to-reach controls move the seat fore or aft, raise or lower it, adjust the angle of its cushion and ease the seatback up or down.
Seat, rear, folding
Carpeted front floor mats These durable-pile front floor mats are designed for the interior of your Camaro®.
Dead pedal, driver
Steering wheel, leather-wrapped, flat-bottom
Steering column, manual rake and telescopic
Speedometer, miles/kilometers
Enhanced Driver Information Center
Includes an 8" diagonal reconfigurable color display
Requires the available Convenience and Lighting Package on 2LT
Compass display
Air conditioning, single-zone automatic climate control
Power outlet, 1 located on center console
Windows, power with driver and passenger Express-Down/Up
Door locks, power programmable with lockout protection
Keyless Open and Start includes 2 remote transmitters that enable automatic door unlock and open by touching door switch
Cruise control, electronic with set and resume speed, steering wheel mounted
Mirror, inside rearview manual day/night, frameless
Visors, driver and front passenger vanity mirrors, covered, illuminated
Trunk release, power
Defogger, rear-window, electric
Glovebox, lockable
Cup holders, 2 front
Lighting, front reading lamps
Leather-wrapped shift knob
Exterior
20" bright, 5-spoke, Silver-painted aluminum wheels1
Front wheels are 20" x 8.5"
Rear wheels are 20" x 9.5"
1 These wheels are paired with summer-only tires. Do not use summer-only tires in winter conditions, as it would adversely affect vehicle safety, performance and durability.  Use on GM®-approved tire and wheel combinations. Unapproved combinations may change the vehicle’s performance characteristics. For important tire and wheel information, go to www.my.chevrolet.com/learn/tires or see your dealer.
245/40ZR20 front and 275/35ZR20 rear blackwall, summer-only run-flat tires1 LS and 2LT Coupe models require the available V6 1LE Track Performance Package. 1 These wheels are paired with summer-only tires. Do not use summer-only tires in winter conditions, as it would adversely affect vehicle safety, performance and durability.  Use on GM®-approved tire and wheel combinations. Unapproved combinations may change the vehicle’s performance characteristics. For important tire and wheel information, go to www.my.chevrolet.com/learn/tires or see your dealer.
Rear stanchion spoiler
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with LED signature
Include automatic exterior lamp control system
LS Coupe and 2LT Coupe models require available RS Package or V6 1LE Track Performance Package
LS and LT Convertible models and 1LT Coupe models require the available RS Package
Power-adjustable body-color outside mirrors
Wipers, front variable-speed, intermittent with washers
Safety
StabiliTrak, stability control system with brake assist includes traction control
Daytime Running Lamps, LED
Air bags, dual-stage frontal, thorax side-impact and knee, driver and front passenger, and head curtain side-impact includes Passenger Sensing System (Always use safety belts and child restraints. Children are safer when properly secured in a rear seat in the appropriate child restraint. See the Owner's Manual for more information.)
OnStar® Guidance Plan1 for 3 months Includes Automatic Crash Response, Stolen Vehicle Assistance, Roadside Assistance, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Advanced Diagnostics and more (trial excludes Hands-Free Calling). 1 Visit http://www.onstar.com for coverage map, details and system limitations. Services may vary by model and conditions.
OnStar® Basic Plan1 for 5 years Includes select mobile app and Advanced Diagnostics features, including Dealer Maintenance Notification. 1 Basic Plan available for 5 years from the date of vehicle delivery, and is transferable. Does not include Emergency, Security or Navigation services.
Teen Driver mode
Activate customizable vehicle settings associated with your key fob to encourage safe driving behavior
When engaged, this feature is able to limits certain vehicle features, such as preventing certain safety systems from being turned off
An in-vehicle report gives you information on your teen's driving habits and helps you continue to coach your new driver
Rear Vision Camera1
When you shift into Reverse, an image appears in the color touch-screen display, giving you a view of the area behind your back bumper
Helps detect certain stationary objects behind the vehicle while traveling in Reverse at low speeds
1 Safety features are no substitute for the driver’s responsibility to operate the vehicle in a safe manner.  The driver should remain attentive to traffic, surroundings and road conditions at all times.  Read the vehicle’s owner’s manual for more important safety information.
Safety belts, 3-point, all seating positions includes front seat driver and front passenger safety belt pretensioners
LATCH system (Lower Anchors and Top tethers for CHildren), for child safety seats
Trunk emergency release handle
And here's what the 1LT comes with that the 1SS includes (unless superseded by a 1SS-specific component, listed above):
The 2017 Camaro 1LT features:
2.0L 275hp turbocharged engine
18-inch aluminum wheels
Cloth power 8-way driver and power 6-way front passenger seats
Rear vision camera
8-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission
Remote vehicle starter system
Air conditioning, single-zone
Power windows with driver and passenger express up/down
Power door locks and Remote Keyless Entry
Power mirrors
Tire inflator kit
Floor mats
LED daytime running lamps
Full folding rear seat (coupe only)
Chevrolet MyLink†
OnStar Guidance Plan† (standard for the first six months, trial excludes Hands-Free Calling minutes), includes Automatic Crash Response and Turn-by-Turn Navigation
SiriusXM† Satellite Radio with a trial subscription of the All-Access Package for 12 months
Bluetooth® wireless technology† for select phones
USB port† and auxiliary jack
Illuminated sunvisors
6-speaker sound system
Halogen projector-beam headlamps
Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
I'm not sure how much cheaper this model will be, or what it could even be called. "0SS"? Or what is left off. I think we need to see that before declaring anything.

A 1SS 1LE is $44,400 so again not sure why you "need" to get into the high 40s just to drive an SS...
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I posted. With an automatic trans it is 40K. No other options checked.

Per my previous posting, it is $39,490 - base 1SS w/auto trans.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

If the Camaro was selling at the levels they wanted, I'd bet they wouldn't have released this cheaper model.
That is the whole point. They aren't selling, because they are too expensive. It isn't because they don't have the performance, these are the best performing Camaros ever.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think it's a combo of a lot of things. Smaller car than even the Mustang. Visibility a turn off to all but die-hard Camaro fans who would never, EVER cross shop a Mustang or Challenger. Styling isn't quite as hard hitting as the 5th gen was in 2010, though I really don't think the Mustang's euro styling is that great, either. And the price. I think it's all that stuff combined.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

It made the 10Best again!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-l ... tp#image=6

Some good quotes:
A reputation is a hard thing to live down. Perception often lags reality, and the reality is this: Camaros are among the most sophisticated driver’s cars in the world. And three consecutive years on the 10Best Cars list proves that this Chevy isn’t just great at attacking a corner, it has also turned one. —Rich Ceppos
The sweet spot in the lineup is the SS, with its bellicose 455-hp 6.2-liter V-8. It’s a Corvette with jump seats.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

When I was in my Uber in Huntington Beach, a gen 6 Camaro SS was next to us. I joked that he should race it in his Civic.