Ranger transmission failure?

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

Ranger transmission failure?

Post by kevm14 »

So today we had some family stuff in CT and normally we'd take one car. But I wanted to borrow a table saw from my brother in law, so I took Ian in the Ranger. Jamie went in the SRX with Owen. I had just de-moused and changed the oil so I was feeling fairly confident, especially given the exercise I gave the Ranger with the U-Haul trailers over the past month or two.

Everything was fine cruising down the highway until we came to some traffic nearing Old Lyme. The trans downshifted really harshly and I definitely took notice. Then when traffic moved again, it seemed like it was stuck in 1st gear. I kept winding it up to like 4,000 and letting off trying to coax it into shifting. Eventually I got it to shift, seemingly near 5,000. Yikes. And what it actually did was a very harsh 1-2 and 2-3 right next to each other. Which feels terrible. Slowed down in traffic and it did it again. Great, now the trans is failing, I figure. 91k on it...

Anyway, I drive the rest of the way like this. I figured out at one point that selecting 2nd actually starts it in 2nd (forcing an upshift) which gave me a manual 1-2 shift. So that's something.

Some online researched revealed a few common A4LD issues. I zeroed in on one of them. Apparently this transmission, and the C3 it's based on, uses a vacuum modulator valve (in addition to the TV cable) to somehow control shift points and line pressure. I also learned it has a computer controlled 3-4 shift. Incidentally, the 3-4 shift seemed fairly normal and it would lock up fine. Trans fluid inspection revealed proper level and good condition fluid.

I put the truck up on his lift (handy) and found this:
WP_20160731_15_49_05_Pro.jpg
Well look at that. Rusted and broken vacuum line to the vacuum modulator.

So....I fixed it. With some 1/4 inch vacuum (or fuel) line.
WP_20160731_16_38_03_Pro.jpg
Happily, all is well again. Normal shifting restored, no broken transmission. Drove 1 hour home with zero issues.
Fast_Ed

Re: Ranger transmission failure?

Post by Fast_Ed »

Wow, thats a relief. Nice to have the fix be that easy. Especially when you're thinking broken transmission.