General 99 Ram thread

Non-repair car talk
Bob

Re: General 99 Ram thread

Post by Bob »

That reminds me of when I registered my $1 Corsica. At the time, the taxation part happened at the town office, which was separate from the DMV. I remember going to the town office to pay a nickel in tax. I remember the tax person gave me a look, but it was actually legit because that's what I paid for the car.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Wasn't that from the lady with no teeth? And it needed plug wires and that's it?

I think they are onto the $1 thing. I just wish it was clearer what the policy is. If I were the state, the policy would be anything under scrap value is a gift. Maybe. I bet even at $500 ($35 tax) I could have been like "hey, its a Dodge, it needs a transmission.". Oh well. It will take a little longer but I will pay no tax. Which is very close to the 7 cents that I actually owe.
Bob

Post by Bob »

The girl I bought it from had all her teeth. She was a student and needed to make room quickly due to parking issues after she upgraded to a late model Cavalier. During the course of the sale, she complained that the car "never runs when it rains." This was fixed with a cheap set up plug wires.

After beating on the car for a few months, I sold it to a lady with no teeth for $400 (I think). The oil pan was repaired with JB weld following an offroading mishap. Also, I had to replace a CV joint after a brutal roll-back.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That was a 2.8 with 200k right?
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yeah, something like that. I think it had 224k on it when I got it. NVH was similar to the Rondo's 2.7L with 90k, although I am sure the NVH of the 2.8L was probably the same since new.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The 2.8 was never a rough engine (unless it is misfiring) though it did sound a little coarse. I should dig up the video you made.
Bob

Post by Bob »

That video was sweet.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oh my god this is just not a good day for me and this truck.

Got a call from my insurance agent (actually an e-mail, then I called). The company I have car insurance through only does up to 4 vehicles on a policy. The Ram requires a new policy to be written. Supposedly the policies are linked in a way where at least my multi-car discount should apply. The problem? The 6 month policy premium is $368!!!! Recall from the insurance thread that the Ranger is like $100. Apparently they charge another under/uninsured motorist premium - at $109, it is basically the same as I am paying for FOUR cars on my original policy. Ok, so even if you subtract that, it still comes to $259 which is still 2.5x what my Ranger costs to insure.

There are a couple paths here. He is going to see if the under/uninsured coverage can somehow apply from the original policy, which would save $109. But I also asked to quote as if the Ram is replacing the Ranger and see what that cost is. If it is truly like $250, well, then these trucks must plow over vehicles and pedestrians at every intersection because that is insane for an old truck like this, WITHOUT collision. The SRX is $299 WITH collision. I forgot to use this as an example (I kept referring to the Caprice and Ranger).

Other than this, they may remarket my stuff and see if someone can do everything under one policy and the idea is that would be cheaper.
Bob

Post by Bob »

How long are you planning to keep the Ranger?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I don't know. I wasn't expecting the Ram to add significant delta cost to own.

I wanted to get the Ram on the road, inspected and drive it. Make sure it doesn't need anything immediate. Then in the spring I guess I would consider trying to get like $1000 for the Ranger. Or whatever it is worth. It is still a useful truck for someone.