99 Ram fan clutch replacement

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

Re: General 99 Ram thread

Post by kevm14 »

I am DONE with this fan clutch. Drove home from the transfer station in 2nd gear and 3000 rpm. Still locked. Idled at 2500 rpm in driveway for two minutes. Still locked.

Time to fix this bullshit.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

And I thought I couldn't get any more annoyed (sinus thing).

Now I can't find where I parked all that info on the different fan clutch part numbers and stuff.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I had to do the original research again.

This was the main thread I recall: http://www.ramforum.com/f61/fan_clutch_issues-36820/

He documents the part number roulette experience he had.

And I think what I will do based on his post is order the FOUR SEASONS 46021 from Rockauto. Which lists it as compatible with the next generation, not mine.

I am taking a gamble with Rockauto as returns get time consuming and pricey. But I am not sure a local parts store can help me if all the application lists are incorrect.

I am also hoping that replacement does not require removal of the giant fan shroud, because some folks say that requires removal of the entire radiator. If that's all true, I take back everything I said about easy serviceability in this engine bay. There is no excuse for that with all this room.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I ordered it. $53 shipped. Comes Friday...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Just delivered. As to when I can install, not sure yet.
kevm14

99 Ram fan clutch replacement

Post by kevm14 »

Finally got around to it.

Ended up having to buy a bigger adjustable wrench. My 10" Crescent wrench didn't get big enough for the giant fan clutch nut. But that's ok, I got a 15" Crescent wrench that opens to more than 1-1/2" which is a legit addition to my tool collection.

Of course you can't turn the nut because the pulley actually turns the entire engine over via the belt. I tried shoving different bolts through the holes on the water pump pulley and that did not work. Eventually I tried vice grips across the pulley. That worked great. The nut loosened right up.

Once I got the clutch off the water pump pulley I had a new problem. There was no way to get the fan and clutch out of there. Not enough room. I find this dumb as this was not an issue when my Caprice had the mechanical fan. What I ended up doing was manipulating the fan and clutch and just barely having enough room to shove my cordless impact down there. I removed the bolts holding the fan to the clutch with it sitting basically in the shroud. Kind of a pain. But it worked. I just needed a little pry bar action to pop the fan free from the clutch.

Then I could easily pull the clutch out and left the fan in place.

First thing I did was compare old vs new.
Different length. The fan clutch that was on the truck (not original to the truck by the way) put the fan blades halfway out of the shroud. I don't know if that was correct.
WP_20170430_16_31_00_Pro.jpg
Both made in the USA. I guess that's something.
WP_20170430_16_31_08_Pro.jpg
I slipped the new clutch in from the bottom. Then I slipped the fan onto the clutch shaft and got the big nut started. After that I was able to fasten the fan to the clutch with the clutch mounted on the water pump pulley. This actually wasn't terrible. Then I snugged up the big nut with the vice grips stopping the pulley from turning again.

The new clutch extends further into the shroud and the blades sit more or less completely inside of the shroud. This means the blades are farther away from the front of the engine which doesn't seem like a bad thing.
WP_20170430_16_38_20_Pro.jpg
Some observations:
- The new clutch, out of the box, turned a LOT easier than the old clutch. This was a good sign.
- After starting the truck I revved it up and it was already a lot better than the old clutch. After not very long (i.e. the normal amount of time) it settled right down.
- I shut the truck off and noticed the blades almost free wheeled. I'm like...uh oh, am I going to have the opposite problem now? So I started it back up and I could actually hear it clutch in a little to move more air. I revved it up and it relaxed again. After idling, I could hear it clutch in more and move more air. It is doing EXACTLY what a good fan clutch is supposed to do. This is marvelous.
- Test drive was a success as well. Drives great and made a big difference. No more roaring fan and the power is up for sure.