GM cars to potentially be axed

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
bill25

GM cars to potentially be axed

Post by bill25 »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companie ... spartanntp
Reuters has learned from sources familiar with GM’s plans that the company is mulling whether to phase out U.S. production of at least six passenger cars after 2020, including the Chevrolet Volt hybrid, which could be replaced in 2022 with a new gasoline-electric crossover model.
Other GM cars that could land on the chopping block, the sources said, include Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6, Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala and Chevrolet Sonic.
I am a little surprised about the Volt, CT6 and Impala. I am not surprised about the Sonic, XTS (I thought this was already axed...) and the Buick Lacrosse.

I am not sure about a new Hybrid Crossover. I think I am like: "either get an electric car, or get a gasoline car". The over complexity and cost of the hybrid just doesn't make sense to me. Especially if the new electrics have a range of over 200 miles.

From Google:
The Bolt EV has a combined EPA-rated range of 238 mi (383 km). For city driving, the EPA rated the Bolt range at 255 mi (410 km), and due to its relative high drag coefficient, its range for highway driving is 217 mi (349 km).
bill25

Re: GM cars to potentially be axed

Post by bill25 »

Interesting article. Not sure if this is the best post for it...

http://www.lsxmag.com/news/cadillac-ct6 ... -vi-lt-v8/

Says ATS and CTS are on the chopping block after 2019. Wonder if it is real, or if they will just be called CT2 and CT4...
Bob

Post by Bob »

The ATS and CTS are supposed to be combined into a single model after 2019.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Sounds like the first and second gen CTS...which probably sold more than the ATS and CTS so there's that.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

So CT3?

LOL
Bob

Post by Bob »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The existing CT6 will sit at the top and continue to split the difference between the 5-series and the 7-series, while the CT5 will be a rear-wheel-drive-based sports sedan fitting in between the 3-series and 5-series, size-wise. An impending CT4, said to be related to the current ATS, will battle Audi’s A3 and Mercedes-Benz’s CLA. (The front-wheel-drive XTS is not long for this world, despite continued strong sales.)
The CT5 is more or less the formula of the CTS gen 1 and 2. Sales were probably stronger then even though the Alpha CTS is the better car.

Sounds like they are resigning themselves to compete between spaces since they can't compete directly. Kind of interesting that they are reverting to a 15 year old playbook.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Cadillacs are not exactly unaffordable.
Estimated Arrival and Price: With the current ATS and CTS nearing the end of their life cycles, the CT5 should be revealed early next year before going on sale sometime in late 2019 as a 2020 model. Pricing probably will start just under $40,000, splitting the difference between the $36,490 and $47,490 Cadillac asks for the base ATS and CTS.
I assume the CT4 would be even cheaper.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The comments are interesting.
Bringing up the 3-Series as the benchmark seems a bit passe'
Agreed.

Yet if you had to name a benchmark for sports sedans, what is it now? The Alfa Romeo Giulia? (It's almost as if they are hoping BMW will fix the steering issues, etc. and reclaim the crown...meanwhile the title is being kept on shelf waiting for them.)
So true. The world has gotten complicated. GM built a E46 killer in a world where the best selling thing is tall cars.
This. Or E92 killer.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Actually, it has worked for Cadillac with the 1st and 2nd gen of the CTS.

What hasn't worked is the ATS - which shrunk Cadillac's entry-level/compact offering so much that it wasn't competitive with the Germans when it came to passenger space.

The CT6 will be repositioned to compete against the 5 Series, E Class, etc. and further down the road, don't be surprised if Cadillac announces the CT7.
That is what I said.