Chrysler on chopping block??

Car/truck/automotive news and discussion
kevm14

Chrysler on chopping block??

Post by kevm14 »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/cou ... ?ocid=iehp

Man, Chrysler has such a pitiful history. And present.
In addition, Marchionne could detail plans to pull Fiat out of the United States and China, according to Automotive News. The brand would re-focus on building vehicles for Europe, Brazil, and emerging markets.

FCA's big strategic pivot would free up money to invest even more into Jeep, which is already the corporation's most profitable division. Among the new products reportedly on the way, there would be an even smaller SUV below the Renegade and the luxurious Grand Wagoneer for challenging the upper end of the segment.
Gee I don't see how that could backfire.
bill25

Re: Chrysler on chopping block??

Post by bill25 »

So they are taking Ford's approach to get rid of all of it's economical cars, and just make SUV's...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

They were already doing that. The only Chryslers left are apparently the 300 and Pacifica. The Pacifica is actually very good at least (remember it is now a minivan and not like the old crossover).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

http://www.motortrend.com/news/fca-five ... 731FEA6DA9
Marchionne made it clear FCA’s product push over the next five years will center around four key brands: Jeep, Ram, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo. “These four are our global brands,” he said bluntly. “They account for about 80 percent of earnings.”

Chrysler, Dodge, and Fiat scarcely received mention during the daylong presentation. Virtually every reference to the 62,000 minivans FCA will supply to self-driving technology developer Waymo described them simply as Pacifica Hybrids; only Marchionne used the “C” word when talking about the Pacifica. Once.

Dodge wasn’t mentioned at all, until the post-presentation Q&A session, when someone asked the inevitable question. Marchionne’s response? “Dodge is a North American brand.” He also hinted that to save money future Dodge vehicles might be developed off a heavily re-engineered version of the current LX architecture rather than move to the premium Giorgio platform than underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia sedan and Stelvio SUV. Marchionne notes that although Chrysler will be a “people-mover” brand, Dodge will be a performance-oriented brand. Marchionne also confirmed a new Viper is not in the plan.
Maybe I will go out on a limb and suggest that Jeep and Ram really account for 80% of the earnings, propping up even Maserati and Alfa? Or is that too cynical? If true that is actually really bad...and not just because "Fiat Chrysler" is not making money on Fiats or Chryslers...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Jeep boss Mike Manley
Hell of a name for the head of Jeep. lol
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

If you read through all of the new product discussion, there is basically nothing at all I'd ever be interested in.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Marchionne also confirmed a new Viper is not in the plan.
Weird. So his plan is for Dodge to only make the Charger and Challenger, on a unique platform. Chrysler will sell 1 vehicle, and it will be a minivan, if you don't count the Charger copy. I get Jeep must be a huge profit monster since everything they sell is over-priced, which I think is where the statement about 80% of profits comes from. It might not have to do with sales numbers, just that they sell $18K Wranglers for $36K. Don't get me wrong, I like the Wrangler a lot, but it seems pretty stripped down for the money. It is a strange collection of brands to have overall.

It is going to be tough. Look at the little jeep based off the Fiat. Nobody considers that a real jeep, so Dodge would have the same problem trying to sell a small Fiat car as a sporty Dodge. Maybe they will revive Eagle... LOL