Anonymous MS employee on Reddit

Tech news
kevm14

Anonymous MS employee on Reddit

Post by kevm14 »

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/5/558423 ... -and-wp8-1
• He repeatedly mentioned that there will be "a new thing" besides Windows, Windows phone, Windows Server and Xbox, that he can't talk about. So it seems like there will be some new product with its own new OS. What do you think he's talking about?
• All those OSs (including the "new" one) will be part of the "Threshold" release, which will be out in Oct-Dec.
• New update cycle for the Windows, WP, Xbox and the "new thing" is 6-8 months for major/minor updates (addessing user feedback), 12-24 months for major releases, and small fixes in between.
He repeatedly mentions that the next update to WP (8.2 or 9 or whatever it will be called) will arrive in 8-10 months and will be "major" ("you are going to pop a boner").
So if MS is speeding up (and they seem to be) then I don't need to "wait" to get a new phone. If updates happen faster then I don't need to wait for the next huge update and make sure I get phone that fully embraces all the software features (which not coincidentally enable hardware features). Word is the Verizon Lumia Icon actually comes unlocked, though the GSM performance is questionable (anecdotal). I think I will still wait for the next 5" 1080p release in the US, which may very well put me into the Fall.