Family vehicles for Bill

Non-repair car talk
bill25

Re: Family vehicles for Bill

Post by bill25 »

Update.

Test drove the CX-5. It is definitely way nicer than our current RAV4 (but also more money...). The newer RAVs look nicer but not as nice as the Mazda. Both are around 32K new if you want leather. Looking at used CX-5s, but there are a lot of rentals to sift through. The one we went to look at today ended up being a rental.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

For $32k you could have a barely used and 2019 CPO Grand Touring Reserve with the new 2.5L turbo:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

1,877 miles, black. As a reminder the turbo comes on the 2019+ Grand Touring Reserve or Signature which are high trims and will be good values used.
**CALL LIBERTY MAZDA FOR AVAILIBILITY 860-920-7696 **, Mazda Factory Certified Warranty, Clean Carfax- NO accidents, Great miles- only 1,800 !!, Great winter vehicle-AWD, Loaded with Safety features and amentities including, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, ABS brakes, Alloy wheels, Auto-dimming Rear-View mirror, Blind spot sensor: Blind Spot Monitoring warning, Bose 10-Speaker Audio Sound System, Brake assist, Distance pacing cruise control: Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC), Dual front impact airbags, Dual front side impact airbags, Electronic Stability Control, Emergency communication system, Exterior Parking Camera Rear, Four wheel independent suspension, Front anti-roll bar, Garage door transmitter: HomeLink, Heads-Up Display, Heated door mirrors, Heated steering wheel, Heated/Ventilated Front Sport Seats, Illuminated entry, Leather Seat Trim, Leather Shift Knob, Low tire pressure warning, Mazda Navigation System, Memory seat, Navigation system: MAZDA CONNECT, Occupant sensing airbag, Overhead airbag, Power door mirrors, Power driver seat, Power Liftgate, Power moonroof, Power passenger seat, Power steering, Rain sensing wipers, Rear anti-roll bar, Rear window wiper, Remote keyless entry, Speed-sensing steering, Split folding rear seat, Spoiler, Steering wheel mounted audio controls, Telescoping steering wheel, Turn signal indicator mirrors, Variably intermittent wipers, Ventilated front seats. 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve Jet Black CARFAX One-Owner. Clean CARFAX. Certified. AWD 6-Speed Automatic 2.5L 4-Cylinder Turbocharged
Hartford, CT. Like I said before, these will be below $30k in no time. Hate to see you spend over $30k on the regular 4 cylinder.

Unfortunately engines are not Mazda's specialty. Your options all suck in some way. The base 2.5L is 187 horsepower and 185 lb-ft of torque and I'd guess not really any faster than your RAV4 (maybe a little?). But then the turbo is still only 250 hp and even then it's only on 93 octane. It makes 227 hp on 87 so you'd have to figure out if that impacts mileage or just peak power. At least the torque is good at 300 lb-ft. The turbo also gets the fuel economy of a V6 sedan from the 90s. But it still seems like the engine to get.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I don't think we are looking at the turbo. We test drove today to make sure. There isn't enough of a difference to make it worth it (added cost, complexity, strain on the engine, premium gas etc.). Also, the 2.5 had an average MPG of 18.6 (we later found out it was a rental). Can't imagine how bad the turbo would be. LOL

If we go with the CX-5, we're looking at a Grand Touring. It is pretty well equipped and has leather.

We're not looking new, that was just an example that they are priced almost identically.

CPO Grand Touring seem around low to mid 20's.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

The difference is, the CX-5 came out in 2017 in the style we like, and the RAV4 is 2019 and newer, so there aren't really any used RAV4s yet. The CX-5 seems nicer.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah that makes sense. Your options used get quite affordable last time I looked. Is Grand Touring the highest trim before the turbo?
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Yeah. It goes Sport, Touring, Grand Touring, Grand Touring Reserve, and Signature. I think Signature only comes with a brownish leather. Toyota does that too, oddly.

So it is a Mazda CX-5 GT??? LOL.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yes. You can give people a hint. "It starts with M and ends with GT." And it has exactly one half of a Mustang 5.0...except half of a Mustang 5.0 would make similar power to the 2.5L turbo, sort of exposing how lame that is. In fact, GM, a company not known for their 4 cylinders, has had a 2.5L at the 200 hp level since 2013. It is in my parents' 2014 Malibu. But like I said, Mazda is not known for....engines.

It probably drives a lot better than the RAV4, thanks in part to the 6-speed automatic. I can't believe it but the RAV4 used a 4 speed until MY13.