08 SRX: Coolant leak

It's your engine, transmission, driveline
kevm14

08 SRX: Coolant leak

Post by kevm14 »

Sigh.

Haven't been able to isolate source yet but assuming either water pump or that plenum plate that connects the throttle body to the tube that goes to the intake manifold.

I may purchase both a pump and those gaskets so the car doesn't have to be down an additional week. I do have a pressure test apparatus so I should be able to isolate the issue next time I have a chance.
kevm14

Re: 08 SRX: Coolant leak

Post by kevm14 »

It was the water pump. The bearing had play in it and I could feel it with the belt attached. So that's what I did. I left the water outlet gaskets alone.

First, I broke this emissions hose. I would call this the clean air side of the crankcase breather system. I cannot locate the P/N of this hose so I just shoved some rubber hose on it and clamped it. Should be ok. One of the tabs broke that holds it into the intake boot but the other one seems to be holding OK. Then I broke the MAF sensor plug so I had to ziptie that back together.

Also decided to flush the P/S because it felt kinda jerky on the cold start. I also douched the transmission cooler lines with my preferred rust inhibitor. Hope that helps them. I had to do that job on the STS and it sucked. Also confirmed the front right wheel bearing definitely has some play. It will be interesting to see if it passes for that and the rust underneath. Fun times.

Swapped the old pulley and bolts. The new WP came with little studs but I didn't see any nuts so that is pointless. The bolts were fine.
20230219_115532.jpg
Also cleaned the TB while I was there.
20230219_115539.jpg

Old pump. Held on by 5 bolts. Seals with one O-ring. Not all that hard to access. Left the cooling fan in place. Just slipped the belt off. More coolant came out when I pulled the WP out so maybe my previous coolant services were less complete than I thought. Well it has to be pretty fresh at this point since I just did it last year.
20230219_115548.jpg
20230219_115554.jpg

Some broken stuff and the way I fixed it. Things are going downhill over here.
20230219_115605.jpg
20230219_115608.jpg
20230219_161321.jpg
20230219_161327.jpg
20230219_161335.jpg
20230219_161354.jpg

So that's all back together. I reset the 3 codes it had. Well, two were from running the engine with the MAF unplugged. The third seemed to be the gas cap code history. Then I hammered on it around the area in sport mode and stopped for gas. When I started it again, the CEL was on AGAIN. But it was this.
20230219_174109.jpg

Need a Tech 2 to check the TCM but I just reset it with my generic tool. Either it was something related to hammering on it in sport mode (I wound out some gears, it held the RPMs up and I did some max G cornering), or it was shutting off the car and starting it with my generic tool connected and on. Maybe a low fluid level code, if it even has the capability to do that?? So many exciting possibilities and presumably none of them good. We'll see if it comes back in normal driving I guess. And I do need to do some normal driving to reset all the readiness monitors for next month...

Oh, the good news is the steering feels better, so that's something.