Mercedes GL/GLS test drives

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Mercedes GL/GLS test drives

Post by kevm14 »

Info on the musty smelling HVAC issue and class action, which led to an extended 10 year warranty. It was a settlement, not a court-ordered decision.
The Plaintiffs allege that the HVAC systems in certain Mercedes-Benz vehicles are defectively designed such that they
accumulate mold or mildew and emit related odors.
The Court did not decide in favor of Plaintiffs or Defendants. Instead, both sides agreed to a Settlement they believe is
adequate, after considering the risks and costs of continued litigation. The Plaintiffs and Class Counsel believe the
proposed Settlement confers substantial benefits on the Class and represents a fair, reasonable, and adequate resolution
of the lawsuit.
Defendants deny the claims in the lawsuit; deny all allegations of wrongdoing, fault, liability, or damage to the Plaintiffs
and the Class; and deny that the HVAC systems in the covered vehicles are defective; and deny that they acted
improperly or wrongfully in any way. Defendants nevertheless recognize the expense and time that would be required to
defend the lawsuit through trial and have taken this into account in agreeing to this Settlement.
Only 50% coverage for vehicles up to 125k. Seemingly no coverage beyond that or 10 years from the in-service date (whichever is sooner).
A past repair is a repair that occurs before December 7, 2020 relates to a customer complaint of moldy, mildew-y, or
similar odor emanating from the vehicle’s HVAC system, including cleaning the evaporator (flushing, Wynn, Contra-Sept, and any other cleaning methods or services) and replacing the filter. Evaporator replacement is included as a past repair only if the replacement was done at an Authorized Service Center.
A future repair is any repair to clean the vehicle’s evaporator and/or replace the filter that is performed at an Authorized
Service Center on or after December 7, 2020. You do not need to bring your vehicle in for a future repair until and
unless you experience moldy, mildew-y odors emanating from the HVAC System. Only current owners and lessees are
eligible for future repairs. For more details on how to receive a future repair, see question 13
You do not need to take any action now to qualify for coverage for future repairs.

If and when a moldy, mildew-y HVAC odor arises, you simply bring your vehicle to an Authorized Service Center to
receive a future repair. All covered vehicles are eligible for unlimited future repairs until 10 years after their in-service
date or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first.

To determine coverage, a technician will perform an odor diagnostic test and verify that the source of the odor in the
vehicle is mold or mildew odors originating from the HVAC system. To qualify for coverage, you must present the
following items of proof to the Authorized Service Center at the time that coverage is requested:

(a) Proof that the vehicle’s currently installed filter is a Mercedes-Benz brand or other approved filter. Such proof
includes, but is not limited to, an Authorized Service Center employee examining the filter and determining
whether it is an approved filter, a service center invoice indicating installation of an approved filter in the
vehicle, or a receipt of purchase of an approved filter that was self-installed.

(b) Proof that the vehicle timely received proper service in reasonable compliance with the vehicle’s maintenance
schedule for the two service intervals immediately prior to the requested repair. Such proof includes, but is not
limited to, documentation from an Authorized Service Center or Independent Service Provider indicating the
vehicle’s maintenance history, information found in the Authorized Service Center’s own service records for the
vehicle, or receipts of parts and materials used for maintenance that you performed on the vehicle.
Attachments
Mercedes HVAC warranty extension info.pdf
(235.88 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

FCP Euro sells a kit for the transmission but I DO NOT recommend running this fluid. It is not approved.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/merced ... escription

Linking to see overall price to set expectations as well as it lists the OEM P/Ns for cross shopping.

Here is the pan at MB Warwick:
https://www.mercedesbenzpartsshop.com/o ... 7252703707

Pricey fluid
https://www.mercedesbenzpartsshop.com/o ... A2LTAzLTA5
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Transfer case takes 236.12. 236.14 seems to be backwards compatible and 236.14 is otherwise known as ATF134. Pentosin would be my go-to but Shell also makes it.

https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/236.12
https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/236.14
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Some docs from WIS. I have additional evap system instructions I can post if needed.
Attachments
X166 use of wiring diagrams.pdf
(355.63 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
X166 facelift search aid for all electrical components.pdf
(405.19 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
X166 facelift retrofit trailer hitch.pdf
(379.05 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
X166 location of line and plug connectors right side.pdf
(749.2 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
X166 remove install blower motor.pdf
(283.83 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
X166 remove install lower instrument panel cover.pdf
(287.42 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
X166 evaporator cleaning.pdf
(332.65 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Door panel does NOT need to be removed to replace power window switches. That's a pleasant surprise.
Attachments
X166 front door power window switch group remove install.pdf
(313.16 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
X166 front door panel removal.pdf
(323.54 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
rpaoness

Post by rpaoness »

Ordered a trailer hitch from Uhaul/CURT - they had one for $219.95+tax, $233ish total. Seemed like I wouldn't find anything cheaper. I really hope it looks stock, which shouldn't be hard because those were not refined or "nice" looking anyhow. It's a CURT CMF13190, seemed like it was $400+ everywhere else I looked. Need to find the wiring harnesses cheaply also now...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yeah I agree it can't really be less integrated than stock. It might be a bit of a task to pull together the rest of the towing package though.

Hopefully my list is accurate:
viewtopic.php?p=23432#p23432

I guess I'm also wondering if a Curt hitch can really take the place of the $1936.57 worth of (new OEM) hardware. If it can that's a big win.

IF the Curt hitch is a complete (and safe/legit) hardware solution, then you would need the following items:

Wiring harness which I think goes inside the vehicle: https://www.mercedesbenzpartsshop.com/o ... 1664408434

Towing module: https://www.mercedesbenzpartsshop.com/o ... 2469003518

Trailer connection harness: https://www.mercedesbenzpartsshop.com/o ... 1665401403

I think for the wiring you are going to have to buy from dealer given what I've seen on eBay (mostly way more expensive). However, for the module, you can do a lot better than $200. Such as: https://www.ebay.com/itm/296167902491?i ... BM_MDUs8Rj

So again IF the Curt hitch is a complete hardware solution and no additional bracing or whatever is needed, then you'll have to spend an additional ~$189 on two new harnesses and a used module.

Then I guess I can help guide the integration especially wrt software integration. I think I will need to enlist the services of the BenzNinja for that. I am not positive but I think it's just coding. But he can see if there might be software updates necessary (and then perform them) to complete the installation and have the best experience.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Finally decided to look into the cylinder liner fiasco.

There is an active thread on this here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212 ... nders.html

And right at the top (and can be verified with the PDF attachment), the engine breakpoint for switching the M278 to cast iron liners is engine serial 2789xx 30 266191, also as of March 16th 2015 date of manufacture.

According to VIN decoderz, this GLS550 has engine serial 278928 30 330896278.928.

So that is WAY past the breakpoint and as expected, is a pretty late production M278. While the internet speculates that cast iron is "the best," I am not convinced it is immune to scoring. I still think injector failure/clogging is a root cause.
rpaoness

Post by rpaoness »

Hitch received weeks ago, but still in the box in the garage. Hopefully I can install at my first 5k service, which should also include tire rotation and reinspection/harness ordering for the cam sensors if oil intrusion is noticeable. I should just order the trailer wiring harnesses and module - $130 for used vs. $195 for new makes me wonder if I should just buy new.

After I order those, I should consider finding some smaller diameter wheels for winter tires or possibly cheaper summer tires since the 21's are awfully pricey and I'm afraid a little damage prone due to limited sidewall height/flex/cushion. Looks like 18" rims were no longer offered after 2008 on GL's, I wonder what the minimum rim diameter and offset is needed for a 2017 GLS550. There appeared to be a lot of options on the Mercedes parts website, but I'm not sure if it "knows" which ones have adequate brake clearance. I wonder if the dealer would be able to look at at least offset details.