Adam

Re: Rental Car Reviews

Post by Adam »

Car: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Date Rented: 2/25/18
Location Rented: BWI
Rental Company: Avis
Powertrain: 290 HP / 260 lb-ft 3.6L NA V6 with 8A
Highs: Excellent seats, adjustable lumbar. Good sound system. Power ports and USB plugs everywhere. Customizable center section of the gauge cluster. Rides like a car. "SAT-NAV".
Lows: Mediocre engine performance. Needed to be wound out for acceleration/no low-end torque (needs more V8). 8-speed automatic is very unrefined in this example. Electronic throttle calibration is terrible. U-connect. Fuel economy? (21 MPG indicated).
Fun facts: You can change from KPH to MPH in a menu in the cluster. This does not change the fuel economy readout. That is done through a buried menu in the info-tainment system. 6 stereo-related buttons on the rear of the steering wheel with no clear indication as to what they do w/o trial and error.
Other notable cars available: Didn't check.
Would I rent again? Yes, this SUV carried three of us and all our luggage and tools from BWI to PVD in the recent storm after our flights were cancelled.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Adam wrote:Car: 2017 Hyundai Elantra
Date Rented: 1/30/18
Powertrain: Lame
Highs: Good gas mileage? Driving from BWI to Bethesda and back had me at 38+ MPG indicated in medium-density traffic. I valet parked it at the fancy hotel I stayed at.
Lows: Everything else. Everything about this car feels cheap.
Other notable cars available: None. They told me I could have the Hyundai or wait for whatever it is I should have had. I opted to not wait. Lesson learned?
Would I rent again? Not on purpose.
I should note that during some of the extended at-speed highway sections the instantaneous fuel economy gauge stayed in the high 40's. This car kinda makes sense as an inexpensive (I hope) commuter which has enough space for rear-facing child seats in the back. It had power windows, A/C and AUX-in. Everything a commuter car needs? FYI the internet says this car starts at $20K. Seems like a lot to me, but normal people might think that is a great deal.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I think the Elantra could be an acceptable used car buy for many people since Hyundai/Kia resale value and market perception is still lagging their actual quality / usefulness as cars.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Car: 2018 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Date Rented: 4/1/18
Location Rented: JAX
Powertrain: Some hybrid garbage with CVT, see Kevin's review.
Highs: Fuel economy? Over several hundred miles I averaged 38mpg. That's carrying 3-4 people plus equipment with Eco mode off driving 85mph. Not terrible.
Lows: Base interior, base Sync infotainment system, mediocre straight line performance, reduced trunk room compared to the non-hybrid model, Eco mode ruins throttle response and shift calibration.
Fun facts: It actually drives pretty good when not in Eco mode, but is quickly let down by the Michelin Eco X Green tires. Depending on speed, the gas engine can shut down on the highway resulting in EV operation at highway speed.
Other notable cars available: Hyundai Sonata
Would I rent again? The non-hybrid Platinum version perhaps.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I was in Jacksonville a couple weeks ago and I was fortunate enough to score a Hemi Challenger at National. I think the National employee could sense the disappointment on my face when I saw what was available on the Executive Aisle. He quickly said, "Hey, do you want to drive something fun?" and directed me towards a black Challenger R/T. I have rented the Hemi Charger/Challenger many times in the past so I'll spare you the review, but it was still a lot of fun. I particularly like how it gets off the line. Roll on acceleration is a little bit disappointing, but it sounds great.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That Charger R/T did have some of the most satisfying modern car throttle response.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes, I felt like it really snapped off the line.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

More specifically, it reminded me the most of my Caprice in terms of the tip-in feel. None of my other stuff has that kind of direct link. It almost feels like the throttle is directly connected to the rear axle. I don't know that it makes up for other reasons that I don't like the Charger but it is a big accomplishment nonetheless. In an alternate universe I could have replaced my Caprice with a Charger R/T (no STS or Roadmaster). Not this universe though.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Car: 2018 Nissan Frontier SV
Date Rented: 6/4/18
Powertrain: 261hp 4.0L V6 w/5A
Highs: Got me to the places I was going.
Lows: Turning radius, power-train makes a lot of noise, no features, terrible fuel economy (~17mpg in Beltway traffic).
Fun facts: This car has no keyless entry. Also, like all Nissans, the Bluetooth performance is terrible.
Other notable cars available: Nothing good.
Would I rent again? Not on purpose.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The Frontier is old as hell.