Malibu: mysterious clunk

It's pronounced "chassy." Brakes, suspension...things that make the car fun or a death trap
kevm14

Malibu: mysterious clunk

Post by kevm14 »

This car hasn't asked for much in the 10 years I've known it but that doesn't mean I like working on it. The latest is a clunk from the front end, usually when turning the wheel. First I feared ball joints. As I drove it tonight (looking at houses again, for some reason), it seemed worse. Jamie was going to drive to CT tomorrow so I decided I should figure out what it is and if it's serious. While driving, I did my diagnosis. Conclusion: something anti-roll bar related, probably end links.

When I got home, I cut the wheel and knelt down to look at the end links. This car uses bushings, not those joints. Uh oh. Just like I did on the Maxima (when it WAS end links), I bounced the car up and down while looking at the end links, bar, ball joint and other components. I thought my eyes deceived me but no.
DSC_3645.JPG
The bar is, in fact, cracked. The other side is fine but it will need a new bar. Rust and fatigue will do that.

Not coincidentally, the car DID feel like it was leaning more than I remember, but that's much like when my Fleetwood broke an end link and was swaying more than usual. After driving my Caprice, it's hard to tell if it's broken or just....you know, luxurious. Kind of the same thing with the Malibu. Well, the evidence is clear. Now to find out about the R&R process. It MAY just slide out from the side. I hope I don't have to pull the steering rack or anything stupid like that.
Bob

Re: Malibu: mysterious clunk

Post by Bob »

Just looking at that makes me never want to live up north again.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Most of the material is there. I'm not sure exactly what caused this, but I assume rust played a role. But, maybe not.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Must have been the high G cornering with racing slicks.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I am sending her down to CT like this. I said just take it easy. It's not like a wheel is going to fly off or something. In an evasive maneuver, it would technically have inferior handling (and possibly lift throttle over steer). I'll get a new bar on there soon enough.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Well, it's not going to be that easy. Awesome. Looks like I have to drop the front crossmember down a few inches for it to clear.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid ... pp=WordPdf

In other news, Word Online now apparently supports PDF viewing, which is pretty fancy.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Looks like quite a job! Maybe it's time to upgrade to the Maxx.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Dropping the front crosmember for that one eh? I have an engine load bar I would be happy to lend you for that one. Keeps you from having to put a jack under it, which is nice.

Are you sure it's not just luxurious though? Seems pretty sweet!
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Wow, those instructions have you removing the tie rod ends.. and the control arms?!

I'd take a close look at that before I removed any tie rod ends... Otherwise you're in for an alignment too, obviously.

Of course, I'd probably try to get the ARB loose first then yank on it after each step of removal of the other components, hoping it came free before I completely disassembled the car.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I think that's probably the plan. I still need to pick up a bar. My local yard gets $75 but if I drive to West Warwick I can pay $40.