Wireless Headphones

Non-car discussion, now for everyone
dochielomn

Wireless Headphones

Post by dochielomn »

So I'm looking to purchase some wireless over the ear headphones for my ipod. What I'm trying to look for is a small portable transmitter that can be plugged into the ipod and use the ipod as its power source (as oppose to needing to be plugged into a wall) (basically how a wireless mouse now has a very small transmitter, nub like, plug into the usb port). I'm not sure if this exists yet for headphones or if it does, not sure if it will be reasonably priced yet. Thus, perhaps, getting regular headphones might be the way for me to ultimately go. But figured one of you might know of something first. Thanks.
Adam

Re: Wireless Headphones

Post by Adam »

The Sony MDR-V6 is a nice set of wired over the ear headphones. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monit ... 00001WRSJ/
I don't have any experience with wireless headphones. Or iPods. Maybe this post isn't very helpful...
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Is this the same one that Kevin has? I know he brought them into work one day to show me whatever ones he's got. Still, I need a little more research for wireless and see if what I want even exists for a relatively affordable price.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Do Ipods still not have bluetooth?

If they do, I would go for a good pair of over the ear bluetooth headphones.... I always liked my Motorola HT-820's, but they are no longer made. And they were a bit heavy... And I broke a couple pairs. Other than that, they were fine. Maybe this isn't too much help either.

The motorola S9's I have are a bit tight around my head... for some reason. Not as comfortable for regular use.

If they dont have bluetooth, you can get a bluetooth transmitter and a set of headphones.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

As an aside, and not that Adam will care, but I recently was reading some Edmunds long term vehicle post. It was about infotainment smartphone connections in vehicles (aux-in vs Bluetooth particularly). I was pleased (or relieved) that multiple people complained about the quality of Bluetooth audio.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I care. About aux-in.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I meant Berman.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

My ipod does accept bluetooth connection (or so it at least claims). I went to Best Buy a few weeks back just to look at some of the headphones that they had there (to guage what I thought about them, get a feel for the size and comfort of wearing them) and ultimately I started to look at Bose AE2w http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... /index.jsp which has wireless via bluetooth and would be compatible with an ipod functions (volume control and pause/unpause) and came with a backup audio cable so if the wireless battery life ran out, you could just plug it in. However i ran into 2 problems. 1) Price- $250- a bit more than what I would a typical person to spend on me for a gift (now, if it was someone like Uncle Bill Gates, then perhaps, he could open up the piggy bank and splurge a little on a gift but this is not the case) and 2) the bluetooth connectivity only works with a later generation of ipod (mine is an ipod touch 3rd generation and this one wants to connect to a 4th generation and i'm not buying a new ipod just so i can get these). So ultimately, my decision came down to the the Bose AE2i http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... headphones which is compatible with my ipod but isn't wirless and isn't too pricey (or at least, i'd be willing to chip in some money if price was becoming an issue) or go for Sennheiser 160 http://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-au ... tal-rs-160 which is wireless (not bluetooth) and has a portable transmitter but perhaps isn't compatible with the ipod functions other than volume (and yes, the pause/unpause function is a factor in my decision because it it something i use constantly while at work or traveling about and such). So ultimately, I'm choosin the ipod functions compatibility over the wireless feature and leaning more towards the Bose AE2i.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Not sure if iPod is different (It probably is.. somehow) but bluetooth has universal standards for streaming "high quality" audio and audio/video remote controls. As long as the headphones and music player are compatible with bluetooth A2DP (HQ Audio) and AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile) the headphones should be able to perform the streaming and remote control functions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-HT820- ... 175wt_1105

Those are the ones I used to have.. Cheap enough to perform a test, I would think.