Chromebooks have 1% of the PC market

Tech news
kevm14

Chromebooks have 1% of the PC market

Post by kevm14 »

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/24/7057 ... l-pc-sales

Comments of interest:
Oof. So Microsoft is now selling as many Surfaces as all companies are selling Chromebooks?
it’s even worse than that, lol. Chromebook sold like 4million this year. Microsoft sold 9.3 million Lumia phone in a quarter. Apple sold like 5.5million macs in the quarter. There are as many Macs out there as Lumia phones, but of course, one is considered a roaring success, and the other should quit the market according to some "analysts".
Just for a sense of scale – because Lumia is often deemed as a colossal failure even when its installed base today is equivalent to the number of Macs out there. In midst of all this, people are still surprisingly optimistic about the Chromebook. It started selling in 2011, and after 4 years, it barely registers. Chrome OS isn’t going places.

Looking at the numbers, a logical person will say that people are not buying Chromebooks. At least, not yet. But of course it’s not cool to point out facts when it comes to industry darlings, so people don’t do it.
The OS X argument is always "well, Apple has several times the profits from the market as they do marketshare." The reason I always laugh when I read that argument is because I find it highly suspicious that regular people suddenly care about what the P&L statement looks like at a Fortune 500 company (unless they're invested).