1994 Lexus SC400 Introduciton

Non-repair car talk
Adam

1994 Lexus SC400 Introduciton

Post by Adam »

This 1994 model year car had an original MSRP of ~$45,000. Now it needs some repair.

Here it is. It has the "Gold Edition" package which gives you fancy gold accents everywhere. The gold BBS wheels are not part of the package. Someone thought this was cool back in the day.
DSC_0269.JPG
Sweet BS wheels.
DSC_0272.JPG
Rear 3/4 view.
DSC_0277.JPG
Rust on the passenger side rocker panel. It is actually worse than it looks. No too bad though.
DSC_0284.JPG
The driver's seat has a small tear on it. Overall the interior is in pretty good shape, just really dirty.
DSC_0286.JPG
Rust around the antenna aerial. The antenna is actually from a Saab. Hooray.
DSC_0291.JPG
Rust under the trunk emblem.
DSC_0303.JPG
4-cam V8. That's so many camshafts! Also has optional traction control.
DSC_0312.JPG
Another interior shot. Electronic climate control. Optional Nakamichi sound system (mostly functional). Includes 12-dic CD changer in the trunk. Totally 90's. The steering column has power tilt. Also automatic tilt away.
DSC_0388.JPG
Needs a windshield.
DSC_0394.JPG
There are many cosmetic issues and a lot of human slime. It should clean up pretty nice. Stay tuned for more posts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kevm14

Re: 1994 Lexus SC400 Introduciton

Post by kevm14 »

This has some good info on original price and options: http://www.cars.com/lexus/sc-400/1994/s ... equipment/

The rust surprises me actually, but I suppose not if this car wasn't garaged for much of its life. The gold is awful but par for the course for 90s luxury.

I suppose the traction control would have seemed extra fancy if you didn't happen to own a 1994 model year car with it.

I asked Ed if it was the Nakamichi. He shrugged. So it is. It was renowned in its day. Probably worth rehabilitating within a reasonable price. If you aim to sell, filling that dash with ANYTHING aftermarket will look like ass, period. And if you kept it, I think keeping the stock audio is still better, since it should be pretty good.

That engine looks as big as a small block 350, with less HP, less torque, less vehicle weight, and similar mileage, on premium. And check out those hoses - reminds me of my Maxima. Japan. And I see a mechanical fan shroud.

I would enjoy the TLC process on this, but I guess you need to figure out what you want to do with it. Knowing me, I would want to keep it (though for the same level of complexity, I would probably prefer the LS400). Which is why I'm glad I didn't buy it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote: And I see a mechanical fan shroud.
Yes. It actually is a hydraulic fan. That's right. Hydraulic. Probably for noise or something. It is really quiet. Also, the idle is very, very smooth. Even in its "needs restoration" state.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:The rust surprises me actually, but I suppose not if this car wasn't garaged for much of its life.
I don't think it was garaged much. The underneath is undercoated and looks pretty good. Need to get it into the garage to fully check it out.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:This has some good info on original price and options: http://www.cars.com/lexus/sc-400/1994/s ... equipment/
It has every option except for heated seats. Unless it does, but I don't remember seeing a button for it. The leather on the seats is very dry. Probably never conditioned. I am going to try to bring it back, but it might need the covers replaced. Probably cost $300 from Lexus.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Adam wrote:It has every option except for heated seats. Unless it does, but I don't remember seeing a button for it.
I'm wrong. It does have at least a heated seat on the driver's side according to a photo that I didn't post.
Adam

Post by Adam »

After paying more attention, it has heated driver and passenger seats. It also has a feature where when the seat is folded forward to allow passengers to get in the back, the power seat moves all the way forward. When you recline the seat, it returns to its previous position.

In other news, I took it for a brief test drive today. The transmission shifts smoothly and the engine produces enough power to lose traction in first gear on a wet road. The automatic climate control is functional (minus A/C) and the stereo plays out of 4 of the 7 speakers. Also, the car has figured out that there is a brake problem and the brake and traction control lights are now illuminated.
Last edited by Adam on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Sounds similar to your first test drive in your Fleetwood, amusingly.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Yup. They are both similar in other ways too. Both 1994 model year cars. Both black. Both have V8s with 4-speed autos and traction control. Both have tons of 90's features. Both were very expensive when new. Both were purchased for very little money.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

You're doing it right.

When can I drive it? I want to sample my first Lexus from back when they still had something to prove.

Also the cars are polar opposites in other ways. The Fleetwood was the very last of traditional American luxury, while the Lexus was an up-and-comer.