1994 Lexus SC400 Introduciton

Non-repair car talk
Adam

Re: 1994 Lexus SC400 Introduciton

Post by Adam »

We'll be playing Lexus all weekend, so that might be a good time. Also, we are playing Lexus all weekend, want to come check it out? We have a long list of things to do, but we will start with identifying (and fixing?) the brake problem, identifying other issues, cleaning, and installing whatever parts show up by then.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I dunno if I will be able to. My parents are coming this weekend since we won't see them on Christmas. My Dad doesn't really like cars.

I didn't realize it had only 120k on it.

Though it's hard to beat my FWB for $1300 w/ 71k on it :shock:
It's hard to believe the market allowed that car to be sold that cheaply to me, but I guess it was a different market in early 2008. Anyway, I enjoyed the TLC experience.
Adam

Post by Adam »

So after a weekend of doing stuff and overworking my back, we have found the following additional issues/accomplishments:
1. Brake leak is a steel line over the rear axle. Easy access will involve removing the LH axle. (IRS!)
2. There are factory steel line unions that bolt to the body in several places. The connectors to most of these are very rusty and will probably need replacement soon.
3. Factory undercoating is in great shape.
4. Trunk leak was caused by: flattened weather-stripping, excessive debris in drain channel, and missing grommet behind tail light. Need to find a replacement grommet, but some tape and a new trunk seal and some cleaning fixed the leak. Some surface rust in the bottom of the spare tire hole but minimal. Treating with rust converter.
5. Interior leaks. The passenger side from carpet area's foam was (is) soaked. Sunroof drains seem functional (not blocked and draining into the interior). Still need to check the A/C drain. If that checks out it was probably left out in the rain a lot with everything open. The carpet foam will hold water forever if not properly dried out. Hosing down the exterior resulted in no leaks into the cabin. There is a tear in the driver's side door weather-stripping on the body which seems to have added some moisture to the carpet foam on that side (and some dirt). No leaks after I installing some tape. Need to find a new seal. Also need to take the carpet the rest of the way out to properly dry and remove some mildew scent. Sigh....
6. Radar detector! Fancy radar detector was previously installed but was not attached to power. The main module was driven off a fuse tap, but wiring was disconnected and stuck in the kick panel. This system had a detector in the front bumper, behind the rearview mirror, and in the rear window. Almost completely removed. Need to take out one more piece of trim to get the wire from the rear window (which was mysteriously hanging w/o a detector).
7. Located power antenna control module tucked behind trunk liner. Needs a new motor, previous owner installed a fixed antenna.
8. Leather is cleaning up pretty good. When we first looked at the car, the leather was dirty and rock hard. It also appeared to have shrunk in some places as the stitching seemed stretched. After substantial leather cleaning and treatment, it is much softer now. Needs at least one more round of the same.
9. Cleaned the exterior. Very dirty. Needs to be washed again and have some clay bar action. Paint will probably clean up pretty good after addressing dings and scratches.
10. All power options work. Except for the stereo where only some of the speakers work. More investigation needed.
11. The rest of the tune-up parts arrived today, so installation can start soon.
12. Gold BBS wheels actually look OK when cleaned up.

Picks to follow in posts for specific jobs.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I talked to the previous owner over the holiday. Apparently, a few years before it was parked its sunroof drains were clogged. They had it cleaned out and it was fine after that. It is very possible that the water on the floor was just left over water from that job, even after 5+ years.

It has mostly dried out and the mildew smell has pretty much gone away. I plan to pull the carpet the rest of the way out next weekend and patch the brake line. After that I can start on the rest of the mechanical work as all the parts have arrived.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It has fancy door hinges. The doors are the heaviest Japanese car doors I've ever felt, right on par with something old school American. Also the hinge design is interesting and it lets the door open away from the car so you have plenty of ingress/egress room without the door having to open as wide (i.e. into the car next to you, because it's a stupid coupe).
20190601_142128.jpg
20190601_142130.jpg
20190601_142140.jpg
Also I made a video.
https://youtu.be/mnKL_WN5m5g
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Here is everyone working on it. Crank, no-start. No fuel pressure test port because...Toyota?
20190601_145100.jpg
Adam replaced the fuel pump and it started.

Video of it starting.
https://youtu.be/mHJXTXK5wv8