The Only Reason Window 8 Is Terrible

It's that beige box on your floor. In 1999.
Adam

The Only Reason Window 8 Is Terrible

Post by Adam »

Ever been in a situation where you needed to forget a wireless network? Like if, for instance, the connection got messed up because you are using a terrible ISP-provided router and you need to forget the saved network settings and re.

How to do this in Windows 7:
1. Open the Control Panel
2. Pick "Network and Sharing Center"
3. Select "Manage wireless networks" from the left hand side
4. Highlight the profile and select "Remove"

That's pretty simple. Especially if you need to explain it to someone else. Say, for instance, someone who doesn't know about computers. Another method is to open the Start menu and type "manage wireless" and directly choose the "Manage wireless networks" entry directly.

Now, how do you do this on Windows 8? The same way? Nope. The manage networks option is suspiciously missing from the Network and Sharing Center.

Lets ask Microsoft how we should do this simple task:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... k-profiles

I'll save you some time:
Some tasks, such as deleting a profile, must be done at the command prompt. To do these tasks, open Command Prompt, and then type the appropriate command from the following table.
You're kidding, right?
At the command prompt, type:
netsh wlan delete profile name="ProfileName"
Pretend you are using a Windows 8/8.1/RT tablet for a minute and let the absurdity of this procedure sink in. Sigh...
kevm14

Re: The Only Reason Window 8 Is Terrible

Post by kevm14 »

In Network Connections you can go into your wireless adapter and click Wireless Properties. In the Security tab you can change the connection settings.

I want to say you could forget the network easily in Windows 8 and this changed in 8.1.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:I want to say you could forget the network easily in Windows 8 and this changed in 8.1.
Should I change the title of this post?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

http://helpdesk.nex-tech.com/article.php?id=756
With the update to Windows 8.1, the option to right click on a network name and choose to forget this network has been removed
Check the link for how it worked on Win 8.

I understand the removal of a direct "forget" option as it's rare you'd need it and errantly tapped. However, there should be an "advanced settings" button that takes you to a metro view of AP management (complete with delete/forget in that screen). I think it's an omission that it's not an option on that screen.

This could be filed under "the few things 8.1 does worse than 8 for power users."
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:In the Security tab you can change the connection settings.
You can only change the password. No option for forgetting it.

I suppose I could have tried the troubleshooter tool. Maybe that would have reset the connection enough for it to work.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I was going to suggest that. In fact my Vaio has started needing that (diagnose/connection reset). I don't remember if it started with 8.1 or all the aircard screwing around I did (all the radios are tied to the wireless switch and some other soft controller BS so maybe that). But it didn't have a problem in 8.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:I understand the removal of a direct "forget" option as it's rare you'd need it and errantly tapped. However, there should be an "advanced settings" button that takes you to a metro view of AP management (complete with delete/forget in that screen).
Yeah, they moved every other option in that right click menu over.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Good news everyone. The Forget Network option is back in the update. Just right click.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Best news ever.