HDMI to Composite Converter (yes, you read this correctly)

It's that beige box on your floor. In 1999.
kevm14

Re: HDMI to Composite Converter (yes, you read this correctl

Post by kevm14 »

Well here's an easy rule of thumb: if you want analog output of copy protected content, you'll have to pony up for the HD Fury.

For their TV, I maintain you should investigate if you can do HDMI to DVI and maintain HDCP and audio.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:For that, I would have HDMI output available (covers most situations these days) - this is probably fairly cheap. And I would see if I could go HDMI to DVI as the TV supports HDCP over DVI (and possibly audio, too), which may just require an HDMI to DVI adapter. Then you'd have everything covered. HD outputs when it is supported and composite for all other situations.
Wait, the TV supports DVI-in?
Also, DVI input does not guarantee HDCP support. Case in point is my two desktop monitors. Both have DVI-I inputs, but only the HP supports HDCP.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Didn't we both look at the manual? It specifically supports HDCP over DVI. It probably supports audio over DVI since I suspect that the encryption works on the whole content, so if it supports HDCP, you'll get video and audio.

I have some concerns about this, too. First, it doesn't seem to accept a 1080p signal. There is no way an iPad is going to output 1080i. But it may be able to output 720p. Or 480p. If you think the iPad can be set for HDMI output to 720p, then it may work. I have no clue. You'd take the HDMI output and run it through an HDMI to DVI adapter. But I'm not even sure this is an HDCP compliant path, even though both ends WOULD be HDCP compliant. More research needed.

The thing is, though, you could just get an HDMI cable for the iPad, the HDMI to DVI adapter, and a DVI cable (to go from the adapter to the TV) and simply try it.
Attachments
Toshiba 51H83 HDCP over DVI.png
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Kevin, you and I were the ones looking at the manual, not Mulligan. So yes, their tv does have a DVI input which I'm guessing nothing is plugged in to. Still looking for an HDMI to Composite converter that supports HDCP. I found a few on amazon but they appear to be out of China and say for standard shipping, it would take 17-28 business days so I'm not doing that.

On a side note, with regards to the Apple VGA cable that I purchased it does not support HDCP. How stupid is this? Apple makes a cable that uses a VGA port and connects to their new lightning port but you can't use this cable for anything related to iTunes (Netflix works). I connected the VGA right cable right into a tv that has a VGA port and it still wouldn't work. Just thought this was idiotic that Apple makes a cable that doesn't even work with their main piece of software.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I spaced. Forgot "Adam" wasn't you.

Apple doesn't make the HDCP rules. DRM.

Things that allow you to turn HDCP into an unprotected analog output are a huge grey area, and probably illegal in the US. HD Fury is made somewhere else...though they let you import it, apparently.

EDIT: My reading skills need improvement. The manual clearly indicates the DVI HDCP connection is for video only, as it shows a separate analog connection.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Ok, I'm bringing this back up but only this time, I am thinking of utilizing their DVI input on the back of the tv in question (I checked, nothing is connected to the DVI input). Any suggestions on a HDMI to DVI adapter/converter I should target to buy?

And remember, the objective here is to be able to connect a device like an ipad to a TV in order to stream Netflix to the tv or play a video that was rented via iTunes on the TV as well. Sarah's family already has a cable that goes from the ipad to a tv that has HDMI input. This works. Now I finally came around to using the DVI on their big TV and getting a HDMI to DVI converter/adapter using a female HDMI interface and a female DVI interface and then using a male to male DVI cable. Although, I would also need to figure out the audio portion of this interface if the DVI on the TV is only for video. The cable they have for the iPad is just the HDMI part, there are no extra audio cables coming out of it as well.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It is possible that a cheap HDMI to DVI-D cable would actually work and maintain the HDCP path all the way to the TV. But you wouldn't have audio. So you'll need something fancier to strip off the stereo PCM audio and convert it to analog. I'll see if I can find something.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Yeah, that's what I was guessing. I bought a HDMI to DVI adapter at radioshack (for test purposes only, I plan to return it tomorrow) and the video transmitted perfectly to the tv but there was no audio. Was going to search around a bit and see if I can find an adapter/converter that also has an audio out part of the cable as well.

Doing some quick research, thoughts on this- http://www.svideo.com/dviaudio2hdmi.html

If that worked, then I would just need to get a female to female HDMI cable/connector to connect both sides (the ipad with a male and this cable with a male).
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Ok, so final report. I'm an idiot. Sarah reminded me that the iPad has an audio out port on it so all we had to do was connect the audio cables that I already had for another setup to the iPad and tada, audio worked perfectly in sync with the video. So using the adapter that I purchased, I've proven that the video and audio from the ipad cable (which is an HDMI out) to the DVI input on the tv and the audio inputs on the receiver work great now. So now, they should be all set.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I forgot about that, too. I wonder if it works because it wasn't outputting audio on HDMI or if the iPad just always sends analog audio out. I don't think that trick would work on a Windows machine with Vista or newer (only 1 audio output at a time).