Laptop vs. 2-in-1

Don't lose those screws...
dochielomn

Laptop vs. 2-in-1

Post by dochielomn »

So my laptop is starting to slow down a bit and I'm at least considering that it may be time for an upgrade (the one I have now I purchased in November/December 2009), any suggestions/comments on buying another laptop or moving into a direction of a 2 in 1 tablet/laptop type of device?
kevm14

Re: Laptop vs. 2-in-1

Post by kevm14 »

Do you want a tablet? Do you have a use for one? There is a whole continuum of devices with windows 10 from a regular laptop to a laptop with touch, convertible laptops, tablets with some laptop functionality, and tablets that are mostly tablets.

So you need to figure out your use case and then choose a device in that category.

Whatever you get, I would get touch at least.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I would install Linux on your current H/W to get a few more years of use out of it, but no one should listen to me.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I don't know if a fresh Linux install (which you would use for basic tasks like web browsing) would work any better than a fresh install of Win 10 (used for the exact same tasks).
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:I don't know if a fresh Linux install (which you would use for basic tasks like web browsing) would work any better than a fresh install of Win 10 (used for the exact same tasks).
I do. It does*.

* Provided you use a modern distribution
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I don't think that difference matters, especially to Berman. My argument is he can get a similar performance increase from a reset of the OS. But then i also think he is fine to get a new device and not do either of the things we mentioned.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:I don't think that Linux matters, especially to Berman.
That's correct.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I was in the same situation a couple months ago and went with this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspir ... Id=5216700

I got it for $750 with a student deal (you can sign up for student deals through the best buy site). It is awesome. 12 Gig RAM, 512 Gig SSD, i7, backlit keyboard, and touch. It is a 2 in 1, but I just use it as a laptop. It is light, and the 13 inch screen makes it pretty portable. (You can get the same thing in a 15 inch screen).

So far, no regrets. The power connection is a little small so I am careful with it while plugged in but other than that is it really good.

Here are some reviews:
https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-insp ... 00-2-in-1/
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817% ... 5%2c00.asp
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptop ... on-13-7000
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

"Do you want a tablet? Do you have a use for one? There is a whole continuum of devices with windows 10 from a regular laptop to a laptop with touch, convertible laptops, tablets with some laptop functionality, and tablets that are mostly tablets."

I'm probably thinking more of a laptop with touch but still having a keyboard to type. Wouldn't mind it being a flip type scenario where I can make the laptop into a tablet.

As for Linux, my experience dealing with that is very limited so the chances of me doing that to my current laptop is not really going to happen.

I'll have to do some more reading into the laptop that Bill mentioned. Or specifically, I'd ask what the battery life is for it (in general)? I'd also probably want a HD to be closer to 1 TB.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I'd pay extra for an SSD whatever you do.