phpBB updated to 3.0.13

Tell me about my awesome forum
admin_repair
Site Admin

phpBB updated to 3.0.13

Post by admin_repair »

All seems fine. This was a security and bug fix build. The real upgrade is 3.1.x which I am currently looking into. It will require some kind of database conversion.
kevm14

Re: phpBB updated to 3.0.13

Post by kevm14 »

Lol. It took me nearly 5 years to get off 3.0.x.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

And another 1.5 years went by. It is on 3.3.4. It was a bit of effort but possibly because of mistakes I made.

There was an upgrade path from 3.2.8 to 3.3.4. They make it fairly easy. The steps from memory go something like this:
- Backup DB (this is done from within the board but could be done from the MySQL environment)
- It's a good idea to backup the phpBB install folder on the server. WinSCP makes this annoying. I should have used the Linux command prompt. I thought the "Duplicate" comment would have issued a server side command but it timed out and I'm not sure it completed which means....it was useless. This is key because the actual folder contains all of the actual forum data (I think the posts go into the DB and maybe some other things)
- Download and extract onto your PC the correct ZIP file
- Delete certain files and folders from the install (it is a complete vanilla install so you want to keep your config.php for example and not use the new one)
- Delete everything on your forum folder except for the stuff that actually makes it yours (like the /store folder and a few others, plus your config.php)
- Upload the extracted files to the server
- Go to the forum /install path and follow the instructions.

This is where I went wrong. I accidentally selected "update files and DB" and it turns out I was supposed to select "update just DB." I didn't actually update the files but did the scan and decided to read the instructions before I just did it. But it wouldn't let me reset it!! I posted a question to the forum and someone told me to delete two files which evidently store the state. That worked.

I did the DB update which reached 100% with no errors.

But the forum was broken. I tried the whole process again and I got HTTP 500.

The forum guy thought I had an issue uploading the files so I raised the file transfer mode priority to binary (it was on text) and told Windows to show all hidden files and folders.

I reuploaded, and then skipped the install step. It then worked again. Which brings us up to date. Curious what 3.3.4 brings.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2593816

This is the phpBB post I made when I did the initial oopsie.
admin_repair
Site Admin

Post by admin_repair »

Upgraded to 3.3.10. Dreamhost did an automatic php 8.1 update. It broke one thing (that I noticed) on my forum. When you post, it is supposed to send the browser back to the thread to view the new post. But it caused an error (maybe HTTP 500). The post worked but the thread had to be refreshed manually. Annoying. The update fixed it.