This forum is awesome!

Tell me about my awesome forum
Adam

This forum is awesome!

Post by Adam »

Well, at least it is more organized than email....

Did the server hardware get updated recently? This forum feels pretty snappy, but the photo gallery seems greatly improved.
Last edited by kevm14 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made a sticky
Adam

Re: This forum is awesome!

Post by Adam »

Also, no secure login? (SSL). Sigh. At least the PHP code is not sending the username/password in the clear, it is obfuscating it into a token in a cookie.

See if you can easily add a certificate. Even a self-signed one (free) will provide the ability to have encryption during the login process.

Some Linux commands:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/lin ... -crt-file/
FixItFelix

Post by FixItFelix »

Should have avatars for users!

This will be my avatar:
http://images.wikia.com/scratchpad/imag ... ero%29.jpg
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

I also want an avatar.

And a general forum.

And a hotdog. No, a hamburger.

I'm hungry.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Adam wrote:Well, at least it is more organized than email....

Did the server hardware get updated recently? This forum feels pretty snappy, but the photo gallery seems greatly improved.
Hardware, no I doubt it. The Dreamhost stuff is shared unless you pay bigger bucks for a dedicated server. But I did update Gallery to 2.3.2. It's still ancient. Gallery 3 is supposed to be a lot more modern, but there's no one click install for it.

Yeah this forum is snappy. I think Gallery is slow more due to optimization issues with how it uses the MySQL. I don't think the web space is terrible or something. Also this has no users yet.
FixItFelix

Post by FixItFelix »

I haz an avatar now.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So we need to prepopulate this forum with some content. Perhaps some existing repair tales? I think we can populate quite a few of the sub-forums with stuff.

I was also thinking we could make stickies (I'm assuming phpBB supports that), maybe general type guidelines on how to even start troubleshooting something (before you start the actual repair process).

EDIT: Figured out the stickies. Kind of confusing permissions stuff but now I can make stickies or announcements.
Last edited by kevm14 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Figured out stickies
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:So we need to prepopulate this forum with some content. Perhaps some existing repair tales?
There is a lot of email text that could be copied into here.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yes.

Also may I also mention that this forum does seem quite snappy. Sweet. It's because there are no users, and it's not saddled with garbage ads/flash all over the place.

I better learn how to do backups so I don't have the great Repair-It forum crash like the SS forum.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:I better learn how to do backups so I don't have the great Repair-It forum crash like the SS forum.
rsync is your friend. You could add a cron job to automatically do it at some interval. Not sure what the storage layout on the server is.