Daylight Saving Time

Tell me about my awesome forum
kevm14

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Post by kevm14 »

Which requires active development. Which is why phpBB requires manual DST entry per user.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Now I get it, time on the forum. If they let you update your host OS, this wouldn't be a problem because you would get time zone updates. Also, maybe check and see if the NTP daemon is running.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Why does the server time matter? The server could be anywhere in the world.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Linux system time is in UTC. Each user (even root) can set a local time zone. If system time is correct and your time zone data (for DST) is up to date, you can tell what the local time is.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Perhaps you are still confused. phpBB user != Linux user.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

DST is stupid. Done.

I am so pissed that last week, it was dark on my way to work, and some light when I get home.

Now, Bright at 6:30 AM, like I really need that, and pitch black when I get home. Now thanks to daylight savings time, I can't do anything outside during the week.

Why do we do this archaic ritual again? (Which is funny, because the Dark Ages was before the Archaic Period, but that is what it feels like we are seeing.)
Adam

Post by Adam »

I mean the user that runs the phpBB daemon.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That doesn't help anything. What matters is what time it is where the forum user is.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

I think the time stamp on the post is from the server's date/time, not the guy at home's date time on their PC. When I did web design, we used a company that had servers in California, 3 hour difference. When we posted with a date/time stamp in RI, it used the server in California's date/time, not our PC's date/time. This made every post based on California time. Granted it does matter what scripting is used, server side or at the browser level. If the board uses server side scripting it will likely use the webserver's date time, if there is a JavaScript script that grabs a users time on their PC then sends that to the server for data to be added to the post you have a problem but I would say that that is not what happens.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Perfect example - not my time. The time on my pc for the last post was 10:03, the post says 10:58. It is getting it from the server.