HTC EVO 4G LTE doesn't power on

They're not just for making phone calls anymore. But they sometimes need repairing.
Adam

Re: HTC EVO 4G LTE doesn't power on

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:Yeah I guess I blame Samsung mostly. James' glossy Lumia is too slippery, also. Which is why I'd select a matte color.
I like what HTC did on the 8X with the grippy back. As long as you keep it clean, it is not slippery.
Adam

Post by Adam »

So the phone spent a week or so in some rice. Didn't start up or take a charge. It has been sitting on table since then and I thought I would try it out today. Nothing. Plugged it in for a little bit and the charge light flashed then went out. Then it wouldn't come back on. Fast forward a while and I try to bring up the boot-loader (starting up by holding the power button and the volume down button for ~10 seconds). Boot-loader comes up. I then start the phone and it boots up. It complains about recovering from some sort of error (the dropped in the toilet error?) and then it is fine.

It finally took a charge and has been fine since. Ran some benchmarks, seems fine. Hooray?

In other news, there were many app updates. All of them wanted additional permissions on top of what they already had. Google Maps wanted to be able to access the contact list as well as receive activity data (like if you were walking or driving). Twitter wanted to access the phone dialer. Drop Box wanted to access the camera. Sprint Zone wanted to access nearly everything (even though it is terrible and no one uses it, although you can't uninstall it or even disable it). Android developers seem to be in a race to see who can acquire your identity the fastest. Maybe time to go back to a dumb phone with my tin foil hat?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Or you could use Windows Phone where you can install ALL apps, including the carrier apps. And since you already use Windows Phone, you win one identity.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:Or you could use Windows Phone where you can install ALL apps
You mean uninstall all apps?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Yes.