Wife's old car (2008 Cadillac SRX)

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Wife's new car (2008 Cadillac SRX)

Post by kevm14 »

Just did the rear anti-roll bar bushings because they are super easy. Most of the clunking on bumps is gone. That was very satisfying.

I am curious about attacking the fronts from the top for undoing the bolts, which was a huge struggle on the STS when I tried it from the wheel well. But since it seems to drive pretty nice now I'll put this off for another time.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Detailed the interior of the SRX. It took all afternoon. It was so bad. I also lubricated the Ultraview roof since I last did it 3 years ago.

Unfortunately when I went to start it to move it back into the garage, the starter clicked and that was it. Dead battery. Sigh. I have no idea how old the battery is but I know I haven't touched it since I've owned it. It's probably due.

So I jump started it with the Roadmaster since I had the urge to drive it anyway.

I took pics of the detailed interior. I should have taken before pics...but it came out decent at least.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I wrote some words and they went away.

There was food garbage all over the place. Ian had spilled a box of Nilla Wafers on the floor and they were all mashed into the carpet. I asked when this happened. She said "October." OCTOBER!

Also there was stuff on the seats and between the seats (the 2nd row). I was able to do combinations of flipping the seats down and sliding them forward to get most of it. I did not shampoo anything. Products used:
- Shop vac with brush attachment and one that is made for doing automotive carpets (kind of like a crevice tool)
- Armor-All brand cleaning wipes for all non-leather surfaces
- Meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner for seats w/ microfiber rags
DSC_6057.JPG
DSC_6058.JPG
DSC_6059.JPG
DSC_6060.JPG
DSC_6061.JPG
DSC_6062.JPG
DSC_6063.JPG
DSC_6064.JPG
DSC_6065.JPG
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:Unfortunately when I went to start it to move it back into the garage, the starter clicked and that was it. Dead battery. Sigh. I have no idea how old the battery is but I know I haven't touched it since I've owned it. It's probably due.
I did the charge routine but just decided that for Jamie's car I should just do a battery. It's not worth the "my car won't start" phone call.

This car takes an updated Group 48 top terminal battery, as opposed to the Group 101 side terminal of the earlier cars (like my STS and CTS-V).

I looked around at some of the usual sources. I ended up with an AGM battery from Advance Auto.
AutoCraft Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H6, 760 CCA
Part No H6-AGM
Regular price $179. Website had a 25% off coupon code. So after core, I paid $143.xx. Supposedly this battery should last a lot longer than a regular battery. It is made in Germany.

The old battery tested "marginal" at the store.
WP_20180402_18_31_13_Pro.jpg
WP_20180402_18_33_30_Pro.jpg
The top terminals are fancy. They have this spring mechanism that you can release by hand, no tools required. Of course, that didn't make up for how tightly the battery is crammed under the cowl but I figured it out. It has to go out and back in from the center, over the passenger side valve cover. I also had to remove a screw from the cowl cover.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Forgot to mention that when it didn't start, after I jump started it, a bunch of systems were all pissed off. Like stabilitrack, ABS, traction control, power steering, etc. I looked at it with my Tech 2 today and like 7 modules had codes, some multiple. They were all low voltage related. I reset them and test drove. All is well.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Decided to check the oil before she takes a fairly long highway trip to CT. Shockingly it is still on the dipstick. Maybe 3/4 of the way down the crosshatch. I did an oil change back in June 2017 at 119,500 or so and it now has 124,400 or so and I don't believe I added any. Almost 5,000 miles. That is awesome. I'm trying to think of what changed...other than the Italian tune-up.

The coils have been fine. I replaced #5, then #7, then #3. I would think #1 is next but no reports yet. According to my order history I think I have one new in a box somewhere...

The headlight has not leaked.

Overall, knock wood, I must say this has been a pretty decent used car. The suspension still seems tight, the steering is the tightest on center of all my vehicles (ratio is slow and feel is numb though). Other than my CTS-V I am sure it is the cleanest underneath.

I need to schedule diff and transfer case fluid changes for both the SRX and STS. One of the few items remaining.

According to the owner's manual:
- Air filter every 50k
- Cabin air every 25k
- For severe duty usage (towing, mountainous terrain, taxi/police/delivery) transfer case fluid every 50k
- For severe duty usage transmission fluid every 50k
- Trans fluid every 100k (normal usage)
- Spark plugs every 100k
- Coolant every 150k or 5 years (whichever comes FIRST)
- "Inspect" serpentine belts every 150k (yeah these are much better than they used to be - in most cases they are probably life of vehicle)
- This one is interesting. If using DOT-4 brake fluid, change every 2 years. How about that? Never noticed that before. The wet boiling point of DOT-4 may be lower than DOT-3, while the dry boiling point is higher. I think.
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Wow, I would have assumed the battery was an engine out job on that car! The interior looks great. I know the feeling of finding mouldering snacks in the back. At least it wasn't yogurt...

What do you use to lube the sunroof? The astra needs that too...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oil change. 8,925 miles and 35% life remaining. Found some leaking power steering lines and will replace soon.
They are short. Might be able to use bulk hose unless it really needs to be molded. Rotated tires. They are wearing pretty nicely. Did also inspect brakes and they looked good as well.

Needs a TPMS sensor. Ordered another Schrader 20153 for $36.53 shipped.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

$26.50 to install.

Programmed all 4 sensors. Fixed. I don't know why people complain about TPMS. I have had no issues other than sensor battery failures due to age, across 3 cars.

According to Schrader:
Battery Life – Estimated life of 5 to 10 years or 100k miles
And that makes sense. When the car sits, the sensors go into a standby mode and transmit pressure very infrequently, but they do transmit. When driving, it is much more often. So, there is a time limit (just sheer standby, and 5-10 years of even 10k miles may deplete the battery - plus the unit may have some battery self-discharge or other parasitic load), or if you drove 100k in a year or two, that would be nearly constant use which would also deplete the battery. This all makes sense to me.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Realized the SRX was due for inspection this month. So I brought it in. I did mention that the front right and left rear tires have slow leaks, like on the order of 5 psi every week or two.

While Ian and I waited we saw some vehicles. I think these are employees (mechanics) cars.
20190330_113134.jpg
20190330_113152.jpg
Assortment of 'Murica.
20190330_113505.jpg
Mock euro license plate GR8PUMPKIN. lol
20190330_113645.jpg
Cheapest car I've seen with a dealer price sign in probably 10 or more years.
20190330_114816.jpg
Took this for Bob.
20190330_114425.jpg
Anyway, SRX passed with no issues. And they found a puncture in one tire and a nail in the other. So glad I brought it up. They also put me in their rewards program which is something.