Wife's old car (2008 Cadillac SRX)

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Wife's new car (2008 Cadillac SRX)

Post by kevm14 »

So back on the tires for a second. I drove the SRX to the car wash yesterday and did a little performance driving to dry it off afterwards. These tires are a very clear step down in performance from the RS-As it used to have. The compound, high tread and probably softer sidewall just did not have the grip and I found their limit. To the car's credit it is fairly balanced as I felt the rear begin to rotate as the front lost traction (which was a little unsettling since I wasn't expecting it and this is FE1). But yeah, these tires are perfect for Jamie and NOT for me.

However, one of these on the 18s (the 20s raise the CG) and FE3/MR with good tires - they are very athletic crossovers indeed, and probably don't feel that much different than my STS. But Jamie's configuration vs my STS is a pretty big difference.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Since Ed is considering an SRX I decided to organize my maintenance and repairs into a single spreadsheet, with cost and labor.

Here is my summary of the repair statistics, which is just a copy and paste from an e-mail I wrote to Ed:
For repairs, total cost: $763.04 or $254.35/yr (been exactly 3). Per month that is $21.20.
Total time for repairs: 22.85 hours or 7.6/yr. Per month that is 38 minutes.

It doesn’t mean the repairs come at the most convenient time or that it’s super fun but overall the time/labor sacrifice seems quite manageable. When you consider that people willingly pay several hundred per month so they don’t have a repair bill, $21 seems totally reasonable.

Of the 15 repairs, only two were more than $100, which were the rear wheel bearing and power steering pump. Each other one was $70 or less.
Here are the repairs:
SRX repairs.png
And here is the maintenance, which is much more of a wash as you compare to other vehicles (I guess you could subtract it if you lease):
SRX maintenance.png
SRX maintenance.png (11.3 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Since Ed is considering an SRX
when did he decide to downgrade from a Suburban?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

When my brother in law decided to put his 04 SRX up for sale.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Oh...
Fast_Ed

Post by Fast_Ed »

Well, I'm still not sure the srx trunk is big enough for the dogs plus two suitcases like the roadmaster usually carries.

I just measured the roadmaster:
Depth= 51" (82" to back of drivers seat in my comfortable position.)
Height= 27" at threshold (limiting factor for taking appliances to the dump)
Width= 48"

You measured the srx:
D= 51" (3rd row folded down) 73" (2nd rw folded down)
H=31" (not as much taller as I expected )
W=44" (no problem)

What this says to me is that everything would have to fit in the roof box if we're transporting dogs.

That is probably ok, because it means that it's the right car for our family when we're not carrying the dogs. A suburban is huge, so we probably never need the roof box when we drive to see grandparents. But it stays huge for all trips.. to school or the library, etc, we're parking that huge thing.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I just measured again.

Depth: 37-42" to 2nd row depending on if you measure at the top or bottom of seat backs. That's with 2nd row all the way back. Depth to front of driver's seat in my position is about 73", at the top of the driver's seat back.

Height: 31" from floor to center of hatch opening. Inside height grows to 33" but back down to 30" over the 2nd row. The floor is high due to 3rd row and the RWD-ness of the platform.

Width is more like 40" min but widens above wheel wells to 43" and grows the further forward you go.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Comments from commuting in the SRX:

- The throttle tip in response is much better in the SRX. Past that, the STS is much more aggressive but I think the SRX is more linear.

- The trans shift calibration is so different. It is constantly upshifting and locking up the torque converter. It is not uncommon to look down and see the engine below 1500 rpm even when accelerating. I much prefer the STS 5L50 calibration for my driving style. The SRX probably works well for Jamie.

- This car definitely needs anti-roll bar bushings, front and rear. I have them. The rear is easy and I should make a point to change them. The front ones on my STS were awful. However, I need to take a look about reaching the bolts from the top with a long extension rather than from the side. That could potentially save a bunch of hassle.

- The steering is tighter but overall feel is definitely worse. There is more assist and the ratio seems slower. But with the tightness on center, it is such a delight to pilot on the highway. No tramline from the 255s.

- I don't like FE1. I'm sure it would benefit from a shock replacement, but nothing seems broken, just aged.

- The stereo is definitely worse than the STS. The nav screen is tiny and low res.

- I like the ability to heat my lower back but not my butt. I'd use that in the STS but the other position on the rocker switch is ventilation so meh.

- I do like the more upright driving position from a highway miles standpoint. Though the headliner is often in the way for traffic lights which is kind of a GM thing it would seem.

- I saw somewhere like 75% oil life remaining even though the last oil change was late July.

- The amount of crap that has accumulated inside (due to children) was just horrible. The spilled box of Nilla Wafers in the rear was even worse, especially when Jamie told me that had been there since October. Shop vac time this weekend. I don't think the car is ruined but it needs a thorough cleaning.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

- The trans shift calibration is so different. It is constantly upshifting and locking up the torque converter. It is not uncommon to look down and see the engine below 1500 rpm even when accelerating. I much prefer the STS 5L50 calibration for my driving style. The SRX probably works well for Jamie.
Do those transmissions "learn" shifting based on driving style? I am not sure if this is real or urban legend but I always hear that a car trans shifts based on the driving style of the driver to an extent.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I have heard that, too. I am not sure how much that applies to GM transmissions. I did think about this when driving the car, like "is this like this because Jamie drives....uh, not like me?"

Also, it's not just an SRX thing. Apparently the 07+ STS with 6L50 is the same thing. I think I actually prefer the older trans. I like the way it shifts better, too.