General STS thread

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: General STS thread

Post by kevm14 »

I downloaded the zip files from the GM website. Well, I did it on my phone and then uploaded it to Onedrive. I assume all of the bits will be in place. Ideally I would have downloaded it from my computer though that DVD burner doesn't function last I checked. I will have to burn on my Vaio!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I seem to have another coolant leak. It told me to check coolant level the other morning and it seems to be down a bit for sure. Haven't smelled or seen any puddles...

My money is on the water pump. It is at the right age and mileage. It should be a pretty easy job I think. It uses a single, large O-ring to seal to the block. So modern. Unless that's what's leaking...

GM OEM, $118.79:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 42&jsn=421

There is also an AC Delco Professional for only $30.79 which is hilariously cheap:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 42&jsn=417

I will have to take some stuff off and give it a good visual. I may elect to pressure test as well.

At a minimum I need to refill and see how fast it leaks down again to get an idea of what I am dealing with...

On second thought I need to slow down. This isn't down that far. Just a little. Don't smell anything (when cold) from the front of the engine either.
20200117_144623.jpg
20200117_144648.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I had to mix up some new 50/50 but it probably only took a cup or a cup and a half. Next test would be to get it hot and see if the cooling system is still able to build pressure. Maybe shut it off and see if it holds, too. If it does, then it is a very slow leak that I am not going to go crazy tracking down though it would still probably be a good idea to inspect around the water pump for any signs of coolant. I kind of hope it's the water pump honestly...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Finally drove the car again (to work). Shut off and checked upper hose. Definitely pressurized. I'll keep my eye on the level and see what it does.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Held pressure ~10 minutes after shut down. I will top off again tonight just to make sure.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Went out to top off. There was still a little pressure in the system at around 7:55. I got home at like 6:25 or so. That's 90 minutes. How much could this be leaking?? I guess it could be intermittent.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Apparently there are some decent Bluetooth receivers that hopefully utilize the aptX lossless codec that I could plug into my aux-in. Apparently at least with Android I can set it to send music/media to that BT connection, but also still connect to the car's BT for phone calls. That would be pretty sweet and no more dealing with the aux cable. One person complained about a buzzing (I guess ground loop due to being plugged into the 12V power plug in the console) so needs more research. If I find something good I will probably just make the jump, but only if the quality is there. Otherwise there is no point.

Here is the one used by a forum member:
https://www.amazon.com/B06-Plus-Bluetoo ... 796&sr=8-3

It does support aptX. Just need to get to the bottom of the ground loop issues. Don't want to install an audio filter.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Coolant hasn't budged since the second top off.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Finally decided to update the nav firmware. I really had no reason to...

I'll just copy my post from the Cadillac forum.
I just burned the 08 file onto a very old CD-R using a laptop from 2006 running the current version of Windows 10 (aka if it worked for me, it should work for you). I did show hidden files and delete desktop.ini before burning.

Anyway, started the car, ejected map DVD, slipped the update CD-R in, and in a few minutes I was all updated. My clock was never wrong because I've kept power to it all this time. Voice recognition button does nothing now (it did nearly nothing before...), as expected. Clock button removed from Config. I figured out it is a long press on the clock itself to open the clock settings. I had no reason to change anything because this clock has always been right down to the minute so all I ever do is toggle daylight savings. But I feel good to be up to date, so my GPS accuracy should be 100% (not that I really noticed any difference before) and I won't feel anxiety about disconnecting the battery.

I have an 05 1SG, BTW. Had the updated map firmware already from previous owner.

Thanks Denso!
So that puts an end to the nav GPS saga.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Car now has the latest map update available, version 10. Of course I got it from eBay (for $12.57) so it was super cheap because I'm sure it's been copied. The one in the car was also updated by the previous owner and looking at the label, looks to be an OEM one. But I tried the new one and it works great.
20200222_133234.jpg