General STS thread

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: General STS thread

Post by kevm14 »

Why don't you list this info here instead of sending emails?
Cadillac STS radio with RPO YQ4
1. The website depends on the model year of the Cadillac STS.
1.A. For navigation radio in 2008 STS with RPO YQ4, go to website
https://tis2web.akamai.gm.com/radio/STS ... 08_Fix.zip
1.B. For navigation radio in 2009-2011 STS with RPO YQ4, go to website
https://tis2web.akamai.gm.com/radio/STS ... 11_Fix.zip
2. Burn the LOADING.KWI to the root of a CD-R or DVD-R (CD-RW has not been tested). Other files can be on the
CD, but it is not advised.
– Root
– —> LOADING.KWI
3. Make sure the vehicle is outside and the engine is running.
4. Eject the map disc by pressing DVD Map Database Eject Key (A). Insert the Software Update Disc in the DVD Map
Database Slot (B).
5. The update will start automatically. You will see a progress bar on the screen. The update takes about 5 minutes.
The vehicle logo will be seen once the update is completed.
6. Eject the update disc and insert the map disc into the DVD Map Database Slot.
Well there go any realistic concerns. Apparently the file is hosted by GM. Not sure why these guys were e-mailing it around, but I have a few theories.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

And that would be the reason.
I am merely following what has been done previously here by experienced and not so experienced members since posting the actual sites could cause a problem if GM decides to change the link. Dealers want to charge you to fix something you can do yourself. By posting all of that, it could cause them to disable the links or change them. But since you put it up, we will have to see.

I am just helping others as other members have done for me without possibly causing future issues. If the links go down, then only members or someone with the actual files would be able to assist
Interesting.
We were advised to not share publicly until GM had started doing it essentially (we were authorized to share it between us privately). Now that the new TSB is available it should be fine To be just posted.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

OMG.
I loaded the 08 file on my 06 STS-V and the clock began to work minutes later.
He risked bricking his nav. And there is a chance his nav is an 08+. But...wow, need more info!!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Holy shit.
I lost the ability to change the cd tracks( just loads the next cd) on my steering wheel as well voice commands. Probably due to the fact it was designed for the newer 08+ steering wheel controls. It shows the correct date and time.
Prerequisite seems to be the nav map firmware update, which my car does have. I'd lose voice command and steering wheel track controls. I use neither. That would be fantastic if this works even though my clock still works because I never lost power to the system even when I changed my battery.

Ian likes the voice commands but they are pretty useless anyway...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Ran the 2008 update on my 2006. Clock came back instantly but the voice recognition button was killed...Oh well. The ride control settings are now on the 1st screen of the config menu now too.

I'll take this as a win as I have my clock back after almost a year!!!

Date is correct too.
Seems confirmed. I guess I can actually use this should the need arise. After all this time....damn.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 am Prerequisite seems to be the nav map firmware update, which my car does have.
Scratch that. May not even be a prerequisite??
2006 STS (original firmware w/ no update) w/ 2008 clock update firmware - function validation rundown;

Clock/date - Validated
GPS signal took a few minutes to lock (red slash) but still tracked fine - Validated
GPS destination entry and turn by turn - Validated
XM, FM, AM, WX, MP3, CD, DVD-A, DTS encoded audio (surround sound), and all DSP options - Validated
Adaptive cruise control and gap steering wheel button - Validated
Volume steering wheel button - Validated
Bluetooth connectivity for phone calls - Validated (had to delete and re-add devices)
AUX input - Validated

New additions/issues noticed;

Voice recognition steering wheel button no longer functions
Turn by turn added to HUD
Audio timestamp recalled for disc sources (audio starts where you left off if source changed or car restarted)
Next/Previous steering wheel button will seek radio stations but will change the disc if playing a disc, next track no longer functions
Magnetic ride control settings (Touring/Performance) are now on the main config menu
Anything else anyone is curious about?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Evidently Denso tried it in a 07 and it didn't work which is why they said 05-07 is not covered. Hmm.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Uh oh.
Heard back from the guy with the 2005. It took the 2008 firmware and ran successfully as the VR button is dead and the config menu updated, however as of now the clock has not returned and he no longer gets a signal from any of the 12 satellites. I recommended a battery disconnect and reconnect to see if that kicks it in aside from just giving it a little more time to re-sync. I warned him it was a BIG maybe as to my knowledge he's the 1st 2005 to give it a try. To be continued....
Yay?
2005 tester reported back, the clock has appeared! No battery disconnect required. Looks like the 2008 firmware update will work on a 2005 as well.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So I revisited the thread and ended up with a private message from the good Samaritan at Denso who helped put all this together.

He asked for pictures of some secret nav screens so he could get some version information. According to him, someone with an 06 with the same system version as mine successfully installed the 2008 nav firmware and fixed their GPS.

Here is what he had to say:
Here is a draft version of the service bulletin, in there are instructions on how to update the radio and links to the SW. GM Service Bulletin PIT5652.pdf

The most common problem is people are having trouble burning their disc correctly. I'm attaching a link on how I burnt my disc but I think some people have tried the same method and it didn't work. It may be the disc they purchased or the burner. I'm not sure. Some users have had issues using a CD-RW. A CD-R is recommended.
Burn a Disc with Windows 10
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P6W ... sp=sharing

Here are the issues predicted when loading MY05-07 vehicle with MY08 SW.
ISSUE:
DENSO can't locate SW for MY05-07 STS US (Bucket 1).

SOLUTION:
Use MY08 STS US SW (Bucket 2) in MY05-07 (Bucket 1) STS US vehicles.

Changes for MY08 STS US:
SWC was changed. LDW, SBZA, and Stab 3.0 interface were added. Paint changed from Ebony to Dark Argent.
DENSO has a note in some old documents that indicate the MY07 SWC were implemented in the MY08 SW but this will need to be confirmed.

DRAWBACK:
This may cause the VR and PRESET NEXT buttons not to work. The user will still have VR function by pressing the MUTE button. The PRESET NEXT button is only in the STS-V. I don't think there will be a negative effect on LDW, SBZA, and Stab 3.0.
I probably should download the software at least just in case the links don't work someday (but I could always get it from the forum I guess).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The Denso guy sent me the GMX295 diagnostic screen guidance. And here is a GM Service Bulletin.
Attachments
GM Service Bulletin PIT5652.pdf
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
GMX295 Diagnostic Screen.pdf
(475.2 KiB) Downloaded 31 times