CTS-V impressions after driving the STS almost exclusively

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

CTS-V impressions after driving the STS almost exclusively

Post by kevm14 »

I haven't driven the CTS-V since getting the STS, and further I haven't driven the CTS-V since April, which is around when I put it back on insurance. I thought it would be interesting to compare the STS to the CTS-V. I suppose a better comparison would have been FE3 to FE3 but that's not the comparison I have.

Interior
There is a definite lower class feel to the CTS-V, and I don't know if the 3-series vs 5-series does the same thing or not. But the interior of the CTS-V definitely feels lower grade. I don't really have a problem with this. I still don't think it feels markedly smaller inside, though I should compare back seats side to side and really answer that. The nav screen is hilariously small and hilariously low res. It works fine. My head brushes the headliner. The seats are significantly softer than either the STS or SRX and I still think that is odd. They are comfortable. More road noise, and not just from the engine.

Chassis
This car feels lighter and more direct. Interestingly at first it didn't even feel that much firmer but some crappier pavement revealed the truth. Still, all of these Sigma cars have, according to what I have read, a class leading amount of wheel travel, which is why the suspension can control ride and be compliant at the same time. I like the feel. More tramline. Brake feel is in another universe. It's just not even close. The CTS-V has real brakes and real brake pedal feel.

Powertrain
Lots of NVH from the engine but this is acceptable. Probably didn't go above 3500 or maybe 4000 rpm because I didn't need to. I didn't find the manual to be like "omg, this is way better" because the 5L50 in the STS does such a great job and is calibrated very well. Most automatic transmissions do a worse job and that factors.

Final thoughts
I don't know if my experience is truly representative but the CTS-V is fun to drive, so much more simple than cars like the STS, and I don't know why I wouldn't recommend one. You may still need to do a few things depending on the previous owner's maintenance standards. But I mean, I just get in and drive and it never has any issues. No climate control actuator issues. No Northstar or AWD concerns. It's what you'd want in an occasional driver (though people have driven these to 200k and I'm sure that's fun, too). I like the STS for daily duties, which is why I bought it. But the CTS-V fills a niche for me as the fun/special car.
kevm14

Re: CTS-V impressions after driving the STS almost exclusive

Post by kevm14 »

I forgot to mention: on the way in I saw an E90 328i with a definitely blown right rear shock. Fail.

More thoughts from the drive home:
- This engine sounds awesome.
- These tires are way better than all season Continentals
- This car has legit handling
- Did I mention the brakes?

Also I just randomly decided to get in the back seat without even adjusting the seat. I was able to sit behind myself. My knees touched the seat and my head touched the roof. But it was usable. Again I really don't think the STS is leagues better. Not at all. Video idea?
bill25

Post by bill25 »

- This engine sounds awesome.
Translation: The gen 1 CTS-V is better than a 2017 Camaro ZL1. Maybe not a better than a 2016 Camaro SS, or 2017 ZL11LE but definitely better than a 2017 ZL1. No track data or performance specs necessary, it is that obvious.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Haha. I would like to drive an LT1. Or an LT4. But I love my humble LS6. Discounting the LS7, I think the LS6 is the peak of naturally aspirated small blocks, especially the spirit of small blocks. No variable valve timing, direct injection or displacement on demand necessary. Just horsepower, torque and respectable fuel economy in a very durable, light and compact package. 'Murica.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

This thread is perhaps even more applicable now as it has been an even longer gap between driving the STS pretty much exclusively and putting the CTS-V back on the road for the season. Drove it in today. I don't know when I last drove it but I know my last Fuelly was 9/15/17 (and I have probably 3/4 of a tank or more) and I took it off insurance mid-December.

It started in like 2 cranks as if I had just driven it the previous day. Because LS6. Yes I have a battery tender but that just keeps the battery fresh.

As I said before the interior is definitely cheaper feeling than the STS. The feel of the steering wheel feels cheaper, the switchgear feels cheaper, and even like the turn signal clicking noise sounds cheaper. This is all fine. I know people don't like the interior but there are plenty of quality materials (ok, mostly plastic, but with good texture and soft touch). There are like zero rattles though so I feel like functionally it is as nice as I would need it to be for what the car is. Ridicule me all you want: I missed the keyless ignition/entry of the STS.

Missed driving a stick. Though again the shifter feel and heavy flywheel take some of the fun out of it. Still, the overall feel of the stick plus the big V8 is something you kind of can't get anywhere else. I just sort of took it easy on the drive in. Probably didn't get above 3,000 rpm. And I watched someone get pulled over in Jamestown just in front of me (no other cars around).

The brake pedal feels just as good as any brand new car with high end brakes. Almost no dead travel, and the brake feel is just top notch. Everything is by pressure rather than by displacement. The STS brakes feel like any regular car by comparison. And really, they are just regular brakes. These are excellent. To think the STS-V and some other 06+ STSs with the right option came with these brakes....I really long for them on my STS. I will overhaul the STS brakes eventually and probably try to get the Hawk HPS pads which will help.

The ride is very controlled but also firm. It is not harsh but there is a lot of shock damping. The chassis feels incredibly tight on this car - tightest of my fleet by far (should come as no real surprise). Nothing feels worn out, there's no clunking or any other noises. The suspension works in silence. It is impressive. This car has 120k on it.

Steering feel is better in the STS. However, this is completely forgivable because of how good this car feels in corners. I thought the STS handled well, and it does. But this is just another big step up. As much as the STS feels lighter than it is, this is another huge step better than that. It just turns in effortlessly, grips, feels solid and planted and just great. Some credit goes to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, which, aside from the CTS-V itself, was probably one of my best purchases ever. I still envision, in my mind, that a gen 5 Camaro SS 1LE must have similar chassis control, rigitity and general feel. Who knows.

The stereo is....kind of bad, compared to the STS (comparing line-in quality). This is partly due to my line in hack through the XM radio input lines. The bass is so thin even with the control cranked up. I am disappointed. I may see if there are better line-in options because I think even though this audio system is nowhere near as good as the STS, I don't think it is being used to its full capability with the setup I have now.

Overall I just love this car and I'm glad I keep hanging onto it. As much as I could use the extra $10k or whatever for my kitchen, I don't know that the $10k in my pocket in general would give me more joy than just keeping the car. So again, while it is really no one's dream car, is a better overall package really available for what it's worth on the open market? I say no.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Was the last time you drove it when I was there with the Charger R/T in October?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It is possible. I really don't remember. I know my "150" was on 9/15 based on text history...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Audio is better than initial impression but this isn't fully good news. With the engine off, cranked up, it actually isn't bad. Problem is it can't really handle the exhaust note when driving.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Took it yesterday and today.

Don't have too much to add to what I have already posted. I will say that what the STS does over the Roadmaster as far as being a good fit for my (aggressive) driving style, the CTS-V does over the STS. That goes for basically all aspects, like brakes, chassis, etc. Everything is so effortless and never feels strained whether it is turning, accelerating or stopping. Just a fun vehicle to drive.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

This is the most recent general CTS-V thread I could find. I guess I don't have a true "general" thread. Anyway, CTS-V was due for inspection in September. So this is November. Moving on.

Brought it into Tire Pros as usual. Asked to have the 3 leaky tires resealed. The right rear is the worst but the left rear and right front also leak. The only one that is actually sealed is the left front which Tire Pros sealed some years ago and has not leaked since. Wish they could do that to the others. Rears were at 18, and the only reason the right rear wasn't lower is because I recently aired that up to nearly 50 psi. Front right was around 24.

1pm appointment, waiting for it. This isn't a car you drop off...axle hop. Need I say more?

But they took it in like 8 minutes after I came in, no one in the waiting room so this will be fast.

Guy starts it up....revs it up a little bit and pulls forward to the back. Back there, I hear him step on it...hopefully it was just a neutral rev. But then he keeps revving it. It sounded good (obviously). Then he really revs it. Eventually, after some more revving (lol) he pulls in and revs some more in the shop, which also sounds good. He shuts it off and some techs crowd around it to check it out. Must be fun after servicing mainly boring FWD-based crossovers.

Up in the air now...