General 96 Roadmaster thread

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: General 96 Roadmaster thread

Post by kevm14 »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's covered in salt.....sigh.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Not only is it covered in salt, but it didn't start this morning. Just clicked. I don't fully fault it as it could probably use a battery terminal cleaning and a good charge on the battery from all the sitting it does (despite driving it all week). See the STS thread for the rest.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Started this morning. Shut it off, cleaned cables (not that bad) and added dielectric grease before reasssmebly. Then it started again. Shut it off, connected battery Tender. Fixed?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The charger indicated fully charged by 5:30pm so not exactly a dead battery situation. Between that and cleaning the battery cables, I assume it's about as good as it will get until I replace parts (i.e. better cables, newer battery, etc.). No need to do any of that right now.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

This is going on my list. The mod becomes kind of permanent since some of the dash area needs to be cut for fitment. But I can't stand not having a tach. I do find the Z28 cluster to be on the smaller side with small font but it's not like I can't see...

https://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin ... sters.html
http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forum ... gon.16876/

This was the hot ticket since forever on the Caprices and stuff. But it's now been adapted to the Roadmaster.
For the ’94-’96 Buick Roadmasters (sedan and wagons):
I take one of my Z28 Clusters, build my own custom harness so it plugs into your dash connectors, check and clean all of the bulbs, check the calibration of all the needles, and set the odometer to whatever you want. I assemble it all with one of my custom faceplates in matte black. I include a tach signal wire with the correct PCM pin, and a used polished lens. I can also paint the faceplate whatever color you can provide me, or cover the faceplate with (stick-on) carbon fiber or woodgrain (to closely match the Roadmaster interior woodgrain). In keeping with the Buick factory gauge look, I can also install white needles in place of the red needles as an option.

Please note that you lose the Low Washer Fluid, Change Oil, CRUISE, Door Open, Gate Open and Low Fuel lamps. You also no longer have a PRNDL with the Z28 Cluster (perfect for floor shift conversions or 6-speed cars). Also, to allow the Z28 Cluster’s oil pressure gauge to display actual oil pressure, you will need to replace the oil pressure switch with a 9C1 oil pressure sending unit (no additional wiring involved in the Buicks).

Matte black painted

Gray (stick-on) carbon fiber

Red (stick-on) carbon fiber

Bill Crovo’s installation… check out the woodgrain match

Mockup of PRNDL and CRUISE indicator on a ’93 Z28 Cluster

The pricing for the Buicks is as follows:
’94-’96 Buick Roadmaster (Sedan or Wagon) with matte black faceplate for $385 shipped (within the 48 States).
Other (than matte black) painted color faceplate adds $15.
(Stick-on) Woodgrain or Carbon Fiber faceplate adds $35. (Stick-on carbon fiber has very limited availability).
White needles (or any other color needle) instead or red needles $25.
PRNDL installed $65.
CRUISE indicator $50.
9C1 oil pressure sending unit $30

You can save $50 off the above pricing if you already have your own Z28 Cluster and send it to me, I will complete the above listed modifications and ship it back to you.
If you can send me a ’94-’96 Roadmaster cluster (or the connectors from a ’91-’96 Roadmaster cluster) you can save an additional $25.

PLEASE email me at gmparts@nycap.rr.com with any questions or to place an order.
As far as options I think I'd want:
- White needles
- PRNDL
- Cruise indicator probably not worth $50...
- Something about clear 194 bulbs being brighter...
- Need to use AC Delco 9C1 oil pressure sender (duh), though the gauge goes to 80psi so maybe a different sender is recommended?

I would also have to install the 9C1 oil pressure sender, which would give me a real oil pressure gauge (yay). I'd also have to run a wire and install a pin in the PCM harness for the tach signal. So it's a little bit of a project but probably well worth it.

It is possible that I have actually met Gary Meier way back in the 2002 timeframe. In fact I know I did. He had the first LS1 swapped B-body that I had ever seen (and I haven't seen many actually).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Stock cluster.
Fishingroadtrip061.jpg
Gary Meier Z28 cluster
dash8.jpg
dash6.jpg
dash2.jpg
dash1.jpg
I like that very much.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Damn, that's like a $500 mod. Someday though he will stop making them...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Here is the RMW those pics came from. Wanted to show this to Ed. Apparently he did this in Dec 2011...
Fishingroadtrip008.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Oh the rigors of daily driving. Driver's window tilted into the door at the front this morning...I had to help it back up to shut. Needs rollers.

Also, I feel an occasional light misfire under load at low RPM, like up a hill in 4th lockup. If my experience is correct, it COULD be that there is oil all over the opti area, likely caused by a leaky WP driveshaft seal or something similar. I did find my seal installer tool at least. I guess the idea would be, maybe I can save everything, clean off the oil and just replace the seals. Not sure how realistic that is. I mean if it is an ignition misfire from oil on the front area of the engine, it's either soaked plug wires or opti...

It also needs a trunk seal. I think it has needed one. I better get on that before it rusts out. Sheesh.

I would also like to get a better aux-in solution, or at least fix the tape deck.
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote: I would also like to get a better aux-in solution, or at least fix the tape deck.
I have many GM radios that are probably compatible with that car that you can use for parts, but all the tape players are failed.