General 96 Roadmaster thread

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Caprice engine swap?

Post by kevm14 »

Here's a real Roadmaster candidate.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/cto/d ... 84270.html
1996 Buick Roadmaster Sedan, Collectors Edition - $3995 (Bourne)
Clean, runs excellent, very well maintained, no rust, everything works. LT1 engine with gran touring suspension and tow package. 2nd owner. I did not plan to sell but circumstances changed. Tons of new parts over the years. Fluids changed frequently. Recent major service at 169,000 miles: transmission full flush, fluid and filter; differential oil change (synthetic); cooling system flush and fill; brake system flush and fill; new thermostat, radiator hoses, AC spark plugs, knock sensors, pcv valve, fuel and air filter. Other recent work includes new steering box, front brakes (complete), new bearings, new brake lines, new tires. Upgraded parts include heavy duty front end, police shocks, cargo springs, etc. Recent engine oil analysis stated the LT1 engine is in great shape. Lots of miles left on this good looking, strong running classic.
00w0w_12Edx8rzWZ2_1200x900.jpg
01010_3ftg6Xs3k4G_1200x900.jpg
00u0u_d3yMYO21sFu_1200x900.jpg
00J0J_jFTy2VI64P4_1200x900.jpg
00w0w_fzjTm0YZdRp_1200x900.jpg
00S0S_dp7MTMLlESN_1200x900.jpg
00P0P_4VRL6ixgiWR_1200x900.jpg
00k0k_kmDUbam10XT_1200x900.jpg
00M0M_60sAdpk046s_1200x900.jpg
Of note: V92 tow pack with V08 cooling and FE2 suspension. Has keyless entry. Black. Really looks damn nice actually. The miles don't really bother me and it sounds like it was really maintained well. And it is in Mass. New steering box. I mean this was a real enthusiast vehicle (oil change analysis!). And no landau!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The underhood pic is not perfect but I think this is most definitely on the cleaner side for where it is. But is "cleaner" clean enough? I'd have to get up close and examine it. I wouldn't settle for "cleanest in New England" if that was still too rusty to want to commit to owning it for another 10 years. It can't just be less rusty than my Caprice.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:I would want to start with a much nicer car, which will cost more money. The ideal candidate would probably be high mileage but rust free, good paint and good interior.
So that's this Roadmaster. Pending full rust evaluation.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I e-mailed him.
Good morning,

I am interested. I am looking for a clean example to replace my rusting 93 Caprice (originally from NC but time caught up) that now has 312k on it. I am curious about the area under the B-pillars, frame, especially in the rear, the floors, the area behind the gas tank, brake lines, etc. It does look clean for the age, especially if it was used in New England all of its life, but I'm trying to turn back the clock and get back into a very clean example.

I guess I am curious what your response would be to that. I'd also like some additional pictures (any under carriage stuff but also the dash, steering wheel, front carpet areas, etc.

Thanks,
And his response:
Thank you for your interest. This is not an Arizona car and has been exposed to NE winters, although recently it has been taken off the road in the winter. It has always been garaged. The b pillars and rear lower fenders were repaired (with steel) about 6 years ago, and the car was also repainted black. There is some road rash on the hood paint. The left rear wheel well was expoxied to fill a rusted area. Under the car it looks good. All brake lines replaced. Mechanically the car is in very good shape. The 96 LT1 engine is far superior to the 93 engine with a lot more HP and torque. If you are still interested I can take some more pictures in a day or two. You will see some rust, but it will be surface rust. This is NOT a southern car.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

He responded to his response.
Also although the interior is good there is some wear. The dash had faded with some brown showing through. I dyed it and it looks much better, another application and it will look great. The steering wheel has a spot where the dye is worn, again I have the dye to cover it. The carpet is good with some minor wear on the drivers side.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Another reply:
No holes or weak spots in body. Rust repair was high quality by Brockton body shop. B pillar repair was caught early with a high quality repair. All done under my supervision. Door Panels, dash good. Load leveling replaced with cargo springs and HD Monroe shocks. Close to rusting through? Don't think so but if you run it in the winter the salt will take its toll.
It sounds like it probably drives like a 9C1 with the way it is configured. That's not a bad thing.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Latest reply.
You are correct about the excellent handling. There is nothing soft or floaty about it. And I have Firestone Destination LE2s on it which work well. The LT1 engine and 4l60E transmission would be a big upgrade for you..
Hate to give it up but I am retired and moving in a couple weeks.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I asked if he was heading west at any point in the near future (to be closer to me for a potential rendezvous). He replied:
Unlikely I will be heading that way soon. Next time will be heading to NC in a couple weeks and by then the car will be gone.
My first thought is, I don't want 6 cars. However, I commited to that by buying the STS first. So regardless of when I do this, that is going to be the temporary situation. Waiting another year or even two isn't going to change anything except perhaps make me more desperate as I will have to endure another safety inspection.

What do you guys think the market value for this car is? I think 4 is high, though I acknowledge the above average body and mechanicals. Basically I am saying I don't want to pay more than I could get for it if I turned around and sold it. It's a 96 Roadmaster with 182k. Who would really even pay more than $2500? Right? No?
Adam

Post by Adam »

kevm14 wrote:Latest reply.
And I have Firestone Destination LE2s on it which work well.
I have those on my Fleetwood. They work well.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It looks like a Class II hitch on there. Do you see that?