General CTS Vsport Thread

Non-repair car talk
Bob

Re: General CTS Vsport Thread

Post by Bob »

I may need to consider tires sooner than later due to the damage to my driver's side front tire. The car doesn't have a spare so it's a bit risky. I've basically narrowed it down to two options:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S $997.26 on tirerack pre-rebate

Advantages:

Probably best in class for Max Performance Summer
Would allow me to fully exploit everything the car has to offer

Disadvantages:

Tire life not so great
A bit more expensive than the AS3+
Probably a bit sketchy in the cold and the 1-2 times a year we get frozen precipitation

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - $853.96 on tirerack pre-rebate

Advantages:

Good all around tire for all season use
This is what's on the car now and I'm generally satisfied with it
Better tread life than the 4S and cheaper so significantly lower $/mile driven

Disadvantages:

I'll never find out the car's full potential
Bob

Post by Bob »

I ordered a HMI version 2.5 and radio module from some dude on the Vsport Facebook group. Putting this video here for when it comes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YS7rdLZZvk
Bob

Post by Bob »

Scheduled another appointment on Thursday at the dealer for the sunroof creak. Also on the agenda: exhaust rattle and whining under acceleration (will duplicate for tech), creaky driver's seat and driver's door. I have about 1,000 miles left of the CPO so this is the final push. Really hoping I can turn the exhaust rattle into getting the second turbo / wastegate replaced (one was done already under warranty). I'll feel a lot better about getting to 150k+ with both turbos having been replaced recently. 150k is my estimated mileage at the time I'll be allowed to replace the car in 2025. By that time, it will be a sub-$10k CL special, whereas a high mileage stock 6-speed manual SS will probably be worth $50k :)
Bob

Post by Bob »

Got the call today that the dealer is approving turbo replacement for the wastegate rattle issue. I only have around 1,000 miles left on the CPO warranty. Good for Cadillac for standing behind their stuff.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I ended up going with the AS3+s for new tires. I just don't have enough situations where I can really make proper use of the PS4Ss and there's always the question of cold or moderately inclement weather. I'm getting the tires mounted today. I ended up pulling this purchase ahead a little since the front tire wear / loss of chunks of rubber was starting to look dangerous. I don't think the car would have passed inspection in August with the front tires the way they are now and I was also getting a bit nervous about the summer driving season with no spare.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I installed HMI 2.5 on Friday. It’s great to have CarPlay and a less frustrating Cue overall.
Attachments
344FA9FA-DE98-496E-8BC0-958AA7609369.jpeg
Bob

Post by Bob »

Also, I think I may have finally resolved the issue with intermittent CarPlay connectivity. I was having this problem where CarPlay wouldn’t always connect the first time I plugged in my phone. I have also experienced this in rental cars, especially other GM products. I went in to the CarPlay preferences in my phone and deleted what must have been 50 saved cars. After doing that, it has always connected the first time.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Bob wrote:I was having this problem where CarPlay wouldn’t always connect the first time I plugged in my phone. I have also experienced this in rental cars, especially other GM products.
I've had the same problem with Android Auto, but with Chrysler rental cars. Not sure what that means, the Fords and GMs usually work fine.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I also have this weird issue where the speedometer in Waze reads 50% of my actual speed when plugged in to CarPlay. Other people have reported this though there does not seem to be a clear solution.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Bob wrote:I also have this weird issue where the speedometer in Waze reads 50% of my actual speed when plugged in to CarPlay. Other people have reported this though there does not seem to be a clear solution.
The Waze speed issue appears to have corrected itself. Perhaps this was an issue Waze fixed silently in their latest revision.