Who wants to race 24 Hours of Lemons?

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

Re: Who wants to race 24 Hours of Lemons?

Post by kevm14 »

That is absolutely amazing. A 90s Fleetwood version of the Ghost Busters ambulance. 7,200 lb GVWR is like a modern 1/2 ton (slightly more even) or a 90s light duty 3/4 ton (8,600 is the heavy duty 3/4 ton).

I have no idea why the conversion was started but I have some idea why it wasn't finished.

I believe that is the premier coach builder of the 90s also (Superior/S&S). Sadly, all they have now is the XTS which is about to depart...

https://sscoachcompany.com/

It's not QUITE as bad as I thought...

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/05/20 ... -and-more/
About The XTS Professional Lineup
The Cadillac XTS Professional Vehicles are specially engineered, designed and built to withstand the rigors of commercial use in the chauffeured transportation, hotel/resort and funeral industries. They are available in the following five configurations:

W20 Livery Package:
W30 Coachbuilder Stretch Livery
B05 Armored
B9Q Coachbuilder Funeral Coach
V4U Coachbuilder Limousine

Cadillac XTS W20 Livery Sedan
The W20 Livery Sedan is very well equipped with features designed for the livery/black car market. Standard features include:

Cadillac Professional Vehicle Protection Plan (3-year/150,000-mile coverage)
Illuminating door handles
Premium microfiber suede headliner
Rear vision camera and obstacle detection
Transmission oil cooler
Magnetic Ride Control
Rear air springs
19″ aluminum wheels and Compact spare tire

Cadillac XTS W30, V4U, BQ9, B05
The W30, V4U, BQ9 and B05 chassis are incomplete vehicles that must be completed by a certified Cadillac Master Coachbuilder or final vehicle manufacturer. They are engineered for heavy duty application and coachbuilder conversion. Features include:

Cadillac Professional Vehicle Protection Plan:
3-year/150,000-mile coverage on W30, V4U and B05
6-year/100,000-mile coverage on B9Q)
18″ 6-lug wheels and heavy-duty brake system
Reinforced body structure with unique parts for higher GVW rating
Unique front and rear suspension components
Heavy-duty steering components
Heavy-duty cooling system with high output fan/capacity radiator
Extended wiring harness and Standard inflator kit with optional full size spare

Cadillac XTS W20, W30, V4U, B05 Optional Features
Optional features on W20 Livery Sedan and W30, V4U and B05 chassis include:

Navigation system
Rear Seat Comfort Package
Luxury Level One Package
Ever seen a 3 year/150k warranty? Now you have.

I'd like to see the engineering behind this. Off hand I don't really understand how a unibody car can have a coachbuilder line. I suspect significant engineering changes...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:16 pm I'd like to see the engineering behind this. Off hand I don't really understand how a unibody car can have a coachbuilder line. I suspect significant engineering changes...
Indeed. Rockauto seems to carry all of the upgraded stuff. But check this wheel bearing/hub out. 2018 XTS V6, heavy duty brakes. They are 6 lug like the SRX and my V.
ACDELCO FW435 {#20971870, FW402} GM Original Equipment Info
Rear; Hearse; Limousine; Heavy Duty Brakes, Value Added Rear Suspension (VRN)
Front; Hearse; Limousine; Heavy Duty Brakes, Value Added Front Vertical Suspension (VRM)
Seems like a regular GM part right?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 05&jsn=498

That's because it is. Look at this part compatibility:
CADILLAC ESCALADE 2015-2019
CADILLAC XTS 2013-2019
CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500 2014-2019
CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 2015-2020
CHEVROLET TAHOE 2012-2020
GMC SIERRA 1500 2014-2018
GMC SIERRA 1500 LIMITED 2019
GMC YUKON 2015-2020
GMC YUKON XL 2015-2020
And before you ask, I checked. Front rotors, pads and calipers are all from the current 1/2 ton trucks and SUVs. Rear seems to be from the Lambda SUVs (Acadia/Enclave/Traverse, et al).

GM built these into 1/2 ton trucks, just like the body on frame Fleetwood in the 90s. That is damn cool.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Bob wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:48 pm If only this was rattier and cheaper: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... f=mentions
A little pricey, but really awesome.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Adam

Post by Adam »

Bob wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:04 am https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item ... ct_details

All the points!
You get extra points when the vacuum headlight doors work.
Bob

Post by Bob »

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/d/ ... 53115.html

Sweet! This actually doesn't seem like a terrible deal since the market on these has gone a little crazy.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That is pretty good. Could that be a BaT flip?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So before this thread completely goes to sleep, I have been meaning to mention something important: I introduced the idea of this whole ordeal to my wife a few weeks back. Result? Not a hard no. I have no plans to buy a vehicle but it's still fun to window shop.

I don't do Star Wars but:
good good.jpg
For me I think the rough plan is to just get the Roadmaster ready for the trip:
- Rear axle from Caprice, may need a complete brake overhaul but not sure. Easier option is to slap some hastily bent copper-nickel axle brake lines in and hope that doesn't cascade to overhauling the drums, which is not something I want to spend time or money on.
- Will need programming if I switch to a 3.42 axle.
- Probably should do the WP and Opti oil seals on the timing cover. MIGHT do WP as PM but need to look back at how old it is. EDIT: history says this:
10/1/2011 119,000 Steering box, PS hoses, water pump, thermostat, opti spark, wires, pinion seal, brakes, trans fluid and filter, oil filter seal, wp belt (??), gear oil
- Ideally I'd tighten up the steering linkage. Options include bolting on the Caprice's steering box, center link, idler arm and tie rods. Or mixing/matching with that and new stuff. Or none of that.

I think that's really it. WP has 64k on it. I might just leave it. But while I am in there I should get the correct WP bolts and delete the fan bracket.

At some point we should get more serious about hotel/motel reservations. I don't know if I'll have Ian with me or not, so I need to figure that out, as well.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I would also like to go to this. It may require some maneuvering on my part to get approval. I would either have to bring a rental car or hitch a ride.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 am So before this thread completely goes to sleep, I have been meaning to mention something important: I introduced the idea of this whole ordeal to my wife a few weeks back. Result? Not a hard no. I have no plans to buy a vehicle but it's still fun to window shop.

I don't do Star Wars but:
good good.jpg

For me I think the rough plan is to just get the Roadmaster ready for the trip:
- Rear axle from Caprice, may need a complete brake overhaul but not sure. Easier option is to slap some hastily bent copper-nickel axle brake lines in and hope that doesn't cascade to overhauling the drums, which is not something I want to spend time or money on.
- Will need programming if I switch to a 3.42 axle.
- Probably should do the WP and Opti oil seals on the timing cover. MIGHT do WP as PM but need to look back at how old it is. EDIT: history says this:
10/1/2011 119,000 Steering box, PS hoses, water pump, thermostat, opti spark, wires, pinion seal, brakes, trans fluid and filter, oil filter seal, wp belt (??), gear oil
- Ideally I'd tighten up the steering linkage. Options include bolting on the Caprice's steering box, center link, idler arm and tie rods. Or mixing/matching with that and new stuff. Or none of that.

I think that's really it. WP has 64k on it. I might just leave it. But while I am in there I should get the correct WP bolts and delete the fan bracket.

At some point we should get more serious about hotel/motel reservations. I don't know if I'll have Ian with me or not, so I need to figure that out, as well.
So Ed gave me some advice yesterday. I should just do the rear axle lines on the Roadmaster with Cu-Ni line that I probably already own - just need the right fittings and make the right flares. I need to soak the bleeders and fittings this weekend but this will get the Roadmaster back on the....road. Then I can start driving it a little bit. This seems like a good idea because it should be fairly cheap and could be quick assuming I don't need to replace the wheel cylinders. And if I do, I will probably put all of the drum hardware right back on. Wheel cylinders are cheap. I will try to get away with only bleeding the rear so I don't have to touch the front caliper bleeders.

This way I have a spare car because I need to do some work on the STS that may span a work week and why not drive the Roadmaster, especially if I am planning on taking it on a trip this fall?

After the STS is done, depending on lots of other variables, I can still take the Roadmaster down and do items from the list I quoted above. This plan makes sense and it might just work.