Mazda3 Replacement

Non-repair car talk
bill25

Mazda3 Replacement

Post by bill25 »

So... Nothing has happened yet but I like to look at cars so I am starting a thread about what I could get next to replace the Mazda3.

Looking for something
1. Interesting
2. Something I can drive year-round
3. Not a crossover (see #1)
4. Not super expensive, cheap would be nice

I have some secondary things that could help prioritize
Stupid driveway - Something that could help in the snow, or at least get out if I had to
Racecar - still want to do a crazy turbo LS build someday, not thinking for the daily, but maybe for when the daily is retired.
Cars - I like cars so something cool/different would be a possibility - but it needs to be a reliable daily.
bill25

Re: Mazda3 Replacement

Post by bill25 »

Some initial ideas:

Panther platform car - Lincoln, Marauder, Crown Vic
These last forever, and could be a lemons car down the road, or LS swap down the road for a cool sleeper (Lincoln)

2010-2013 Camaro - Probably a V6, probably auto
This could be the future racecar, which is why I said auto even though for right now I would prefer the manual to help for driving the good Camaro.
V6 auto is getting cheaper - like 8-9K. I could drive for like 5 years then strip down and upgrade everything. SS's are still like an extra 10K, and if you are going to swap everything off that too, not sure it is worth the extra initial investment, but I need to look at that more.

GTO

Mazdaspeed3 - I like my car, so if I could get one of these cheap, it would help with the manual stuff, and be a pretty quick, nice daily. These are getting older though and not sure the reliability of the turbo 2.3. (I would only be looking at the 1st gen)

V8 Challenger/Magnum/Charger/300 - Realistically, I like the Challenger, but they will not be cheap in V8 form. These are something I would drive as a daily, but that is about it. They are listed in order of preference. Maybe AWD V8???

AWD V6 Fusion or Taurus (Police Package or even SHO???) - Looks like they never did offer this in manual... too bad.

Caprice PPV

Other stuff I like but probably wouldn't be serious about as I really wouldn't want to drive as a daily: Tahoe, Jeep Cherokee, Silverado, Avalanche
bill25

Post by bill25 »

For the Ford stuff, I think it was the 3.5 L Duratec V6 that was bad. Both the Fusion and Taurus got this...

Also looks like it was the AWD Fusion that got this, and is the quickest, so I'd have to get a slower, FWD Fusion if that were the choice. That may come off the list.

-Edit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fusion_(Americas)

This would be ok: for 2013–present, 2.0 Ecoboost Turbocharged I4, 240 hp (179 kW) @ 5500 RPM, 270 lb⋅ft (366 N⋅m) @ 3000 RPM, 20/29/23 (AWD) (6F 6-Speed Automatic)

Even better, but only offered 2017-19 so too new to be cheap, and not sure about AWD but probably:
2.7 Ecoboost Turbocharged V6, 325 hp (242 kW) @ 5500 RPM, 380 lb⋅ft (515 N⋅m) @ 3000 RPM, 17/26/20 (6F55 6-Speed Automatic)
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It would be easier (for me) if you narrowed down your preferences first. I understand things are more wide open since this is the first you're really considering. But as I have said in the past. a jump to a Mazdaspeed 3 makes sense to me. You get the platform you like, factory HID headlights, actual performance, and a manual trans. In fact, the only reason I think you'd consider something else is because of the need for LS swap potential. Is that about right?

And if so, I would push you pretty heavily toward a turn key, quick daily driver, over an LS swap that will never happen. Getting stuck driving a stock Crown Vic is a high price to pay for an LS swap never performed, vs a Speed 3. Don't you think?
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

bill25 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:52 am For the Ford stuff, I think it was the 3.5 L Duratec V6 that was bad. Both the Fusion and Taurus got this...

Even better, but only offered 2017-19 so too new to be cheap, and not sure about AWD but probably:
2.7 Ecoboost Turbocharged V6, 325 hp (242 kW) @ 5500 RPM, 380 lb⋅ft (515 N⋅m) @ 3000 RPM, 17/26/20 (6F55 6-Speed Automatic)
The Ecoboost also uses the 3.5 but not sure if the water pump design is different. Also not sure why the 2.7 and 3.5 would use completely different water pump designs. Worth looking into.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

Well, I wanted to get a good set of options. I was actually hoping I missed some good ones.

I think the Panther platform is out because it is probably the lowest performer on the list. It is also old. I figured it would be considered since they are cheap. I don't think I would actually get one.

The rest of the cars on the list are probably options. I will say the Caprice is at the lower end also as it's interior is really not very nice. I could get over that if it were something I really liked, like a Camaro, but I really just like it because it is cheap power.

The Mazdaspeed3 is a good choice as it is an upgrade of everything from my car.
Negatives:
It is on the older end of the spectrum as they are only 07-09. Mine is an 09, and is starting to get rough.
Not sure the mileage these powertrains average
It is a hatchback, which I don't really like but would deal with
FWD

The V6 Camaro is a pretty serious option. I was thinking, Why buy a 8000 Camry or Corolla with like 80K+ miles when I could get a V6 Camaro for close to the same price?

For the Dodge/Chrysler stuff, realistically, the only possibilities are maybe an AWD V8 Charger or a Magnum.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The Caprice is cool because it has substantially more out of the box performance than the Crown Vic. They also are prone to the DoD lifter fiasco so you can try to use that to your advantage by getting a better deal (general resale may be impacted for example) and of course finding one that has been deleted is an interesting option. Or drive as is, keep clean oil in it, and just roll the dice. Big time LS swap/turbo candidate because it already comes with a 6L80 trans and obviously already shipped with an LS under the hood. There is like a 9C3 you can find for the pre-refresh ones that has a decent interior. The later straight police spec ones are not nice at all, I agree.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The Caprice PPV was offered with a 9C3 package from 2011 to 2013. Denoting unmarked/"detective" examples, the 9C3 PPV sourced its trim from the Chevrolet Caprice LS (Middle East export, base trim), except for 18-inch steel wheels, AM/FM radio, and fixed-back rear seat. The 9C3 retained the stock gear shifter and hand brake sourced from the Holden Caprice. For 2014 all Caprice PPVs adopted the 9C1 package, regardless of exterior design.
Replacing the Impala, the Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) was manufactured by Holden in Australia, a left-hand drive version of the Holden WM/WN Caprice exported to North America. Introduced for 2011, the PPV was offered exclusively for sale to law enforcement. The 9C1 package made its return, denoting patrol-ready versions, deleting the standard center console (for police computers), handbrake (for a footbrake), and vinyl flooring. In 2012, a 3.6L V6 was introduced as a standard engine, with the 6.0L V8 becoming an option (the first time since 1990 that a V6 was offered in a Caprice).

Following the introduction of the WN Caprice for 2014, all PPVs adopted the 9C1 package, with the update including a column-mounted transmission shifter. Coinciding with the closure of Australian manufacturing operations by General Motors after the 2017 model year, the Holden/Chevrolet Caprice ended production without a successor.
So the WM 2011-2013 would be the ones with the nicest interior option (9C3s I believe). Let me find pics.
Attachments
24-2012-chevrolet-caprice-ppv-9c3.jpg
26-2012-chevrolet-caprice-ppv-9c3.jpg
bill25

Post by bill25 »

It is a little open because it just has to be:
Reliable
Probably 5-10 grand (guessing ballpark, less is better)
Something I like because I will be driving it every day - trying to not get an "appliance" if I don't have to. Which is why I am starting to decide now.
More than 2 seats

I don't want a crossover, truck, van, minivan, and most likely not an SUV.

So, a car, 2 or 4 door, preferably not a hatch (exception for the Mazdaspeed3), some performance would be nice. Probably under 100K miles. Probably not much more than 10 years old. I could go a little older if the miles are low and it isn't a rust bucket.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Some real enthusiasts out there...

https://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2020

He put a G8 center console into his PPV.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png