SUV suggestions

Non-repair car talk
dochielomn

SUV suggestions

Post by dochielomn »

Looking for car suggestions to purchase. Will soon be in the market for a new car, looking to get an SUV. Probably looking for something comparable or similar to a Subaru Outback. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Basically, need something that can hold a fair amount of stuff due to a child and if we decided to expand our family. Probably willing to spend in the 30's but don't really want to cross over into the 40's. Thoughts/suggestions?
kevm14

Re: SUV suggestions

Post by kevm14 »

I would ask:
- I assume you want AWD?
- Do you want or need a third row?

The good and bad news is the market is literally flooded with options for your needs. So a genuine look at the pros and cons of each is going to be pretty exhausting. I don't really like Subaru but they seem popular, are practical, reasonably priced, reliable, and hold their value. So I can't really argue with that as an option.

You could also look at the new Toyota RAV4. There may be some ridiculous discounts on some other options so you may let that be your guide and see what comes up. For that reason I would consider non-Japanese options, as well.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

I'd say, I don't think we need a 3rd row (at least, not at this time). Or basically, i'd rather have a larger trunk area than a 3rd row that can be collapsed. I'd really have to look at the dimensions and such but that's just my gut instinct. And yes, looking for AWD as well. I think ultimately, we'll end up getting a full size SUV or regular size one and then get a compact one later. Also, I don't have any strong feelings towards the "I have to get a hybrid one". If a hybrid made more sense, then sure but not going out of way to buy one just yet.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Put the Kia Telluride on your list.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Weren't Kia's in general known for breaking down a lot? Or was that specifically tied to a certain model, like the Hyundai or Elantra? I thought when I was originally in the market for cars, someone advised me to steer clear of Kia because of reliability concerns (even though they had all the options I was looking for and they seemed pretty reasonably priced).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

They fixed that and their reputation lags reality. That's the way it goes with the auto market. I have OQE in other threads. The Telluride (and Hyundai/Kia products in general) are solid.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

Ok, good to know. I think Sarah was also eyeing the Forester as a potential SUV.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

So, we finally bought an SUV yesterday. Ending up buying a 2020 Subaru Outback Touring. We basically ended up with a Subaru because they had 0% financing for up to 60 or 72 months I think. Then, ended up on the Touring because of some of the extra features such as 180 degree front camera. Sarah will probably be the primary driver of this car and then we'll wait another month or so to see if 2021 models of other cars hit the market and see what's out there. We did test drive a CRV and enjoyed it. So we'll see how the 2021 model comes out.
dochielomn

Post by dochielomn »

And not that anyone will really care, but we ended up getting a 2nd SUV. Got a 2020 RAV 4 Hybrid Limited Edition. Technically bought it used as it had just over 2000 miles on it. This is be primarily my car to drive. My biggest comment on it thus far is how quiet it is when starting. I don't hear the engine start up at all. It's basically dead quiet. I assume that's how it's designed. One small concern I have is after purchasing and downloading the Toyota app, I did find out that just before 2000 miles, this car was brought into maintenance for "customer states had to jump start twice towed in check and report". Really hoping this was a fluke as for a brand new car, jump starting shouldn't be necessary. We did look at the Carfax before buying but we couldn't get a detailed of what it was brought in for until I found it on the app. But so far, so good so have to remain positive/optimistic as usually Toyota's are reliable.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

It happens when they sit a lot as that one probably did. The battery probably won't last as long as a result unless it was replaced. Not really a big deal in the long run.