W221 S550 hunt

Non-repair car talk
kevm14

W221 S550 hunt

Post by kevm14 »

Since I already have an STS thread I'll just put this here. EDIT: decided to move it.

I discussed some fleet options with Jamie yesterday evening while I was (re)-polishing the headlights on the E55. Here are some thoughts and options.

I cannot just sell the STS and then do nothing. That leaves me with no winter vehicle, and no general backup vehicle should the E55 or SRX be out of commission. Enter the first option. I COULD replace the truck with something more modern and 4WD. I could put like that notional $10k into it and I guess I could look at what the market would provide but it would theoretically provide me all the truck functions and it could also be my winter vehicle. Hell I could even get something with a plow I guess.

This option has several flaws:
- Jamie doesn't really want to drive a truck. I mean as a backup car that would be rare so maybe not a total deal breaker.
- I am not sure that $10k gets as much truck as it should. People want trucks and I'd have to bend over to find a good value that wasn't rusty. This breaks one of the rules of value car purchases: don't buy what everyone else is trying to buy.
- Frankly I don't want to daily drive a truck in the winter. And when you look at the Ram, what it is providing is transfer station runs and occasional truck stuff. I don't want to just sink $10k into it, especially if it's just going to experience wear and tear. I'm not into trucks. Seems like a waste.

So the other option should be obvious by now. Replace the STS with something similar. This is recently possible because I just got a 2 year sticker and maybe even tackled the P0430 which would increase the value. When I bought the E55, the idea was it would replace my Roadmaster and STS. But the V1 was in the picture. With that car gone, replacing the STS seems more reasonable.

Right now the most obvious choice for that notional $10k figure would be a G37X. The G37S seems to really be a step up but is RWD only and the G37XS seems like a waste as it really doesn't do any of the things the RWD S does. Since it's not really an enthusiast purchase maybe I just shrug and get the AWD since one of the functions is a winter car, and something that Jamie could drive with no caveats required.

I figure I can get like an 09-11 or so, and something around 100k maybe even less. That would make it my newest, lowest mileage vehicle if so.

But yeah here's how I feel the G37X stacks up against the STS:
- Handling is superior
- Faster (talking like 5 tenths and 5 mph in the 1/4, maybe even more)
- They are pretty reliable so probably an upgrade here, too
- Stereo should be decent if not as good as what the STS has
- As far as luxury stuff, I believe I can basically get all/most of what the STS has. I may even be able to find one with adaptive cruise.

For cons I think there's really only one thing. I think it is a little smaller than the STS in the interior department and I think I am really talking about the back seat. I mentioned this to Jamie and it doesn't seem like a big deal. I guess I'd have to check one out to see for myself. If it's really super cramped like a 3 series that might be an issue. As long as the front seat knee room is decent, then you can always move the front seats up temporarily to increase rear seat room if needed. Some cars have poor front knee room and this isn't really possible.

Anyway so the idea would be I guess I would sell my STS nowish, and then closer to winter really actively shop for a G37X. If I feel like prices for the X are inflated due to time of year I'll either buy earlier or just wait. The risk is, I get stuck driving my Ram if I can't find anything that I feel is reasonably priced. So there is some risk.

I guess the other option is I just get something at my leisure and simply sell my STS afterwards. Less risk to me but probably fetches less for my STS. In reality this may not matter as I figure the STS is probably worth $2500 (maybe $3000 with no CEL?). And so several hundred in either direction doesn't seem like it should drive the action plan here...especially when the risk is I could have no car by winter, or that I feel compelled to buy the wrong car or pay the wrong price because I put myself in this situation where "I need to buy something." That's a rule of smart car buying. Do not put yourself in that position. So even if I left a little cash on the table with the STS, I think the stress-free environment for finding a G37X would more than make up for it in terms of getting the right car at the right price.
kevm14

Infiniti G37X hunt

Post by kevm14 »

I presumptively say I am looking for the X (AWD) and I guess I probably should. Just need to start this thread because I decided to move my other post.

Here is some basic information from Edmunds from a random model year.
2012 INFINITI G Sedan models
The 2012 Infiniti G Sedan is a midsize luxury sedan available in G25, G25 Journey, G37 Journey and G37 Sport. The G25x and G37x are essentially Journey trims with all-wheel drive. The G Coupe and convertible models are addressed in separate reviews.

The base G25 comes standard with 17-inch alloy wheels, xenon headlights, foglights, keyless ignition/entry, cruise control, automatic climate control, power front seats (eight-way driver, four-way passenger), leather upholstery, a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel (with gauges that move with the tilting action) and a six-speaker sound system with a CD player, satellite radio and an auxiliary audio jack.

Stepping up to the G25 Journey adds automatic headlights, heated mirrors, dual-zone automatic climate control, one-touch up/down for all windows, heated front seats, an eight-way power passenger seat, a rearview camera, Bluetooth phone connectivity and an iPod/USB audio interface. A sunroof is optional.

The G37 Journey is identically equipped, but gets a more powerful engine and is eligible for additional options. The Premium package adds a sunroof, rear parking sensors, driver memory functions, a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel and a 10-speaker Bose sound system. The Navigation package adds a navigation system, real-time traffic and weather, voice controls and Bluetooth streaming audio. The Technology package adds adaptive cruise control, automatic wipers and an upgraded climate-control system with an air purifier.

The above options are standard on the G37 Sport, along with 18-inch wheels, high-performance tires, sport-tuned steering and suspension, a limited-slip differential, upgraded brakes, unique styling elements, front sport seats with bolster adjustment for both backrest and seat cushion and a standard six-speed manual transmission.

The G37 Journey can be equipped with the Sport package, which adds all the above performance bits without the manual. When equipped with all-wheel drive, the Sport package is really only an appearance package with 18-inch wheels, unique exterior styling and sport seats. There is also the G37 Limited Edition, which essentially adds the Premium, Navigation and Sport packages along with special black paint and a Graphite leather interior.

2012 Highlights
The Infiniti G Sedan is essentially unchanged for 2012.
So generally I want the Tech package and Premium package, and I would assume Nav package is also part of the deal, and I guess I am still unsure about the whole Sport thing (S) with AWD. Looks like I can get everything the STS has except the ventilated seats and I guess rear heated seats. Not a deal breaker.
kevm14

Re: Infiniti G37X hunt

Post by kevm14 »

Here is one random example that I found on Autotrader after a 60 second search.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
OPTION PACKAGES
PREMIUM PKG pwr tilt/sliding tinted glass moonroof w/one-touch open/close & sliding sunshade, INFINITI Studio On Wheels Bose audio system w/CD player, MP3/WMA playback capability, radio data system (RDS), (10) speakers including 10-inch door mounted woofers & parcel shelf-mounted subwoofer, drivers audio stage, 2GB Music Box, driver seat memory, exterior mirror memory, pwr tilt/telescopic steering wheel w/memory, rear sonar system, NAVIGATION PKG INFINITI hard drive based navigation system w/touch-screen, lane guidance, speed limit advisories, intelligent traffic routing, XM NavTraffic & XM NavWeather, 9.3GB Music Box hard Drive, Zagat Survey restaurant guide, voice recognition system for audio & nav, digital video playback via USB port, DVD-video playback, TECHNOLOGY PKG intelligent cruise control, brake assist w/preview braking, pre-crash front safety belts, rain sensing windshield wipers, advanced climate control system w/Plasmacluster air purifier, SPORT PKG - AWD 18 split 5-spoke aluminum alloy wheels, P225/50R18 all-season tires, solid magnesium paddle shifters, front sport bucket seats w/manual thigh extension & driver seat pwr thigh & torso support, sport front fascia & side sills, unique sport headlights, aluminum pedals & footrest, INTERIOR ACCENT PKG high-gloss maple accents on center console, instrument panel & doors.
$14k with 98k. Obviously not the pricing I want. Probably would do private anyway.

I simply searched on Adaptive Cruise and while some of the listings aren't correct, it did identify this one with the Tech package. Also, it has the Sport package. But as I said before, with AWD it seems to be mostly an appearance package. Lame but whatever. Otherwise this appears to have every option, which is want I want.

I do think I can get what I want around $10k if I simply wait and watch the market. This may actually be an easy purchase otherwise.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

First I remembered the M56 which did come in AWD also. But reading about it online reveals it's got some problems. So I'll pass on that even though they run like 13.5 @ 108 which is equivalent to my CTS-V.

Moved onto the previous gen M45X. 08-10. I'd want the Tech Package and stuff that gives me the 14 speaker BOSE and adaptive cruise. The rest of the stuff seems to just come on them. This is much slower running more like a low 14 @ 99 or something. It's the size I prefer and I believe these are reliable. I found some. Prices seem to range from $8-12k depending on things. Hard to find an M45X in the south.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/sideways/
1st Place 2005 BMW 545i Even with controversial Active Steering, nothing pours performance like a Bimmer.

2nd Place 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport Japan's barroom-brawler brand is quickly aging into a fast sophisticate.

3rd Place 2005 Mercedes-Benz E500 Fast and tasteful, the middle Benz just needs crisper steering.

4th Place 2005 Cadillac STS V8 GM's premium division continues to improve, but so do the rest.
I guess it's an upgrade then. There is also the E500 4Matic. They are even a tad quicker. And I am now familiar with the platform. But it seems like it would require just as much maintenance as my E55 without the AMG performance. M45 is probably the most reliable car in this class of car so there's that.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a1 ... ve-review/

"Crossover vehicles"

I guess this term started earlier than I thought. It just took a while to become mainstream and really people still use SUV interchangeably anyway...
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

E500 wagon in Lincoln, RI.

Options: https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lo ... J44X118089

Notably, it has nav. No TPMS or keyless go. And dynamic seats. If 844 is the third row then it has it. $4,700 isn't a lot. Curious about rust, the condition and how this drives in general. Maybe I should go take a look at it.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So Adam helped clue me in on the CDI. From 05-06 only in 45 states Mercedes sold a CDI W211 called the E320 CDI. This was quickly replaced by the 50 state Bluetec which was largely garbage or at least hamstring by emissions nannys in direct opposition to Mercedes reputation for diesels up until that time. So they are kinda sought after. Here are some noteworthy things:

- The OM648 was a 3.2L inline 6, the last of that old lineage. It was pretty high tech but other than EGR contained no DPF and stuff like that. The Bluetec was a completely new V6 turbo diesel.
- It is sedan only and RWD only. Boy, a CDI 4Matic wagon would have been one hell of a unicorn as a used car and probably worth a boatload.
- Despite all non-AMG RWD cars shifting to the 7G trans in 2004, the CDI kept the old 5G from 05-06 (just like the E55 incidentally). Frankly this is a good thing as it makes the powertrain that much more robust.
- The cars tended to come less fully optioned. Fortunately the one I found still has some decent stuff on it such as nav, sunshade, pulse seats and the H/K audio.
- Again, notably, I don't think Airmatic was possible to configure on the CDI, or it was incredibly rare. From a complexity standpoint this makes the CDI an interesting option. RWD only, steel springs, 5G trans. Not too shabby for a daily driver type vehicle.
- With rear folding seats maybe I could live without the wagon. RWD sedan doesn't sound too good from a snow perspective though.
- The CDI is kind of quick. I think 0-60 is in the 6.6 range? The E500 is like 5.9. So while the CDI is slower than my STS, the torque and fuel economy offer something different and interesting. It is rated at 201 hp but based on the performance it probably has more than that. 369 lb-ft which is nice, as well. Again, considering the E500 is rated at a full 101 HP more than the CDI, the performance gap is nowhere near as large as you'd expect.
- Fuel economy ratings were 27/37 and reportedly beating the 37 is pretty easy. I don't necessarily care about fuel economy (above 20 is still acceptable for me) but that's "interesting."

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/c45b ... n=atempest

https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lo ... JX5A633942

Fortunately this is also local. I could drive a CDI sedan and E500 wagon in the same state. I should try to do that.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

That wagon is gone already.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://providence.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 92666.html

And here is a screenshot of the local market on CL FSBO. Not too bad really. These cars are pretty easy to find.
G37X local market CL survey.PNG
Contacted the NK one.