SRX rapid turn signal on left side

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
kevm14

SRX rapid turn signal on left side

Post by kevm14 »

Except no bulbs appear to be burnt out. Well the left license plate light is burned out but those don't flash with the turn signals.

Quick research reveals that I may want to look at the driver's side turn signal/DRL bulb or socket for bad connections. But the bulb looks to be working normally. I should compare brightness with the other side and maybe that would help diagnose. Not shockingly, replacing those bulbs is not a 10 minute job. This is not a real emergency as everything works, it just flashes fast after 3 blinks.

Fun fact: the turn signal click noise seems to actually come from the driver's side door speaker. Fancy.
kevm14

Re: SRX rapid turn signal on left side

Post by kevm14 »

Drove it today. Everything was normal. Fixed!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Today Jamie reported that the turn signals worked except there was no blinking sound.

I went out to the car and took a look myself. The blinking sound was there but it started doing the fast blinking on the left turn signal again. I left it on and went to the back of the car to mess around with the tail light. While I was back there, it went in and out of blinking rapidly. I did this for another few minutes with no real connection to anything I was doing. Then I shut the ignition off completely, turned the key back to on (I did not start the engine at any point as it was in the garage) and everything was operating normally.

So....I don't know. Bad ground on the rear light assembly is a thing. I don't know what controls the turn signals - probably not a discrete module as the sound is through the audio system (driver's door speaker only).

A search turned up plenty of related things, though less specific to the SRX. I did find other later model GM stuff like this (a Gen 2 CTS and an Equinox) - they may share a common and faulty thing. Although on those, the lack of blinker noise was also connected to complete mute of radio noise as well. Jamie said that was not the case today so I may be barking up the wrong tree with the CTS and Equinox threads.

Like the misfire thing, this is far too infrequent to diagnose so I am going to do the correct thing and ignore it completely until something actually stops working.

None of these problems have cost me any money yet (I did buy plugs and a coil I guess, but it is due for plugs anyway) at least. By the way, the AC Delco coil is made in Japan and it is REALLY nice. Like the finish quality is amazing. I will bring in so Bill can make fun of me. The AC Delco plugs are made in Japan, too. I bet they are made by NGK.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:Today Jamie reported that the turn signals worked except there was no blinking sound.
Happened again and this time I was able to correlate this happening with really bad sound from the stereo. The front speakers did not work and I think the sub as well. Only the front center channel and rear door speakers and nothing sounded very good. Also no turn signal clicking noise. We drove to a birthday party tonight and when we left 2 hours later, it was fine. Did some research and I think I found the culprit:
#08-08-44-031A: No Audio from Radio, Door Ajar Chime and Turn Signal Click Clack Inoperative During Key Cycle - Audio Returns After Vehicle is Turn Off for Several Minutes (Reprogram Audio Amplifier) - (Mar 24, 2009)

Subject: No Audio from Radio, Door Ajar Chime and Turn Signal Click Clack Inoperative During a Key Cycle -- Audio Returns After Vehicle is Turned Off For Several Minutes (Reprogram Audio Amplifier)

Models: 2008-2009 Cadillac CTS, Escalade Models, SRX
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban LTZ
2008-2009 GMC Sierra Denali, Yukon Denali Models
2009 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2008-2009 HUMMER H2 Models
with Luxury Edition Package (RPO Y91) or Premium Audio Speaker System with Surround Amplifier (RPO UQS)

Attention: This bulletin only applies to vehicles with amplifier part numbers 25921142, 25924299, 25926541, 25939528 and 25939529.

This bulletin is being revised to update models, model years and the service procedure. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-44-031 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on the following concerns during a key cycle. The audio returns after the vehicle is turned off for several minutes (10 minutes or more). This allows the amplifier to shut down completely and reset.

• No audio from the radio.
• Door ajar chime inoperative.
• Turn signal click clack sound inoperative.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by a software anomaly.

Correction
Reprogram the audio amplifier with the latest software available on TIS2WEB.
Do not replace the audio amplifier or radio for these conditions.

A revised calibration has been developed to address these conditions. Technicians are to reprogram the audio amplifier using TIS2WEB and selecting " Amplifier Software Update (RPO STZ or Y91 only)". Refer to the Audio Amplifier Programming and Setup procedure in SI for more information. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
R9737*
Audio Amplifier Reprogramming with SPS
0.4 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
I think we have a winner. It does have RPO UQS. Now this is pretty cool, CTS, from the Cadillac forum:
Just FYI. I wanted to bump this thread to say that I had this TSB done last week. I experienced the No Audio/No Turn Signal Click Clack/No Door Chime symptoms a couple of times since buying the car (it is an EXTREMELY intermittent problem -- like once every three months), and since my b2b warranty is up in a few days, asked to have the TSB done. The dealer was kind enough to oblige. Anyway, since the amp was reprogrammed, I've noticed that the bass hits MUCH harder -- before I was disappointed in the sound of the bass. WAY better now.

Worth having the TSB done if you can sweet talk your dealer into it and are still under warranty.
Better bass, too?

Only issue is I will have to pay, but at 0.4hr I would like to think it would be like $100 or less.

I have a feeling the fast blinking is not related and is perhaps a more traditional cause (poor ground at tail light, that kind of thing).
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Called Herb Chambers (the only Cadillac dealer in this state I believe). They can either do a diagnostic thing or just apply the TSB reprogramming at my request. That is a flat rate of $139. A little pricey for 0.4 hr but at least it can be done - I've heard so many stories over the years about TSBs and dealers. A nice bonus is they are open on Sat until 3pm so that might actually work on some future weekend.

I know I am a dealer service department's worst nightmare - I walk in knowing what I want and never come back even if it goes well.

But on the other hand, in the grand scheme, it makes no sense for them to be anything but accommodating and cordial.
bill25

Post by bill25 »

But on the other hand, in the grand scheme, it makes no sense for them to be anything but accommodating and cordial.

Um... yeah, they are getting $135 for less than a half hour of work. They better be cordial.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

This problem is back.

I'd like to attempt reprogramming the amplifier firmware with the Tech 2.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53fho7l7yxI

I already bought the recommended Tripp Lite USB to RS-232 converter for a whole $30. Then I can pay GM $40 to have access to program ALL modules on the SRX for 24 months. This should work with my clone Tech 2, and I think I can just use my Surface Laptop. So I shouldn't need to install any of the sketchy software that came with the tool (like probably a pirated version of TIS2000 which may well not even have the amp firmware update I need).

But that does mean that I am at 50% of the cost for the dealer to do it which may not reach the threshold for some people. But I look at it as a learning experience. Always wanted to try this.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I have recorded many clips of video intending to make a complete video of the flashing process. Yet it never completed. I have tried 20+ times to reprogram the amplifier module and it never finishes. It fails at random times. The closest I got was 21 seconds remaining. Generally people say that power spikes/dips cause programming failure so I took that into account and tried switching the following variables:
- Tried my Surface Laptop as well as wife's Motile.
- Left battery tender on SRX
- Fully charged battery and removed battery tender
- Jumper cables to my STS while running and charging at 14.0V
- Jumper cables to my STS while off, voltage around 12.6V
- Disconnected AC adapter to Tech 2 and just ran off battery (while connected to STS)
- Cleared RTC failure by changing time by 1 minute (it's actually a bug in the original firmware that was likely cloned)
- Fooled around a little with serial to USB converter settings
- Ran IE in administrator mode

NONE of these things changed anything at all - same random results. So I guess it's the Tech 2?

Asked Ivan (PHAD) and he says:
Use Tech2WIN with an approved pass through. Remember the Astra from Hell? Tech 2 clones are often junk.
I use the Bosch MasterTech M-VCI. It's discontinued, but if you can find one it works flawlessly.
Great. So what would that setup entail?

Well for starters I'd have to buy a 3 day subscription to Tech2Win for $55. This would effectively replace my Tech 2 with a genuine unit but just running in Java or whatever. Then I would need a J2534 pass through module like MDI (or VCX Nano).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUMJFwMuAkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqeGnWovaic
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254634186533?h ... Y&LH_BIN=1

Video on a clone MDI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZfXuuzORZo
He even downloads the MDI drivers direct from Bosch. That's a good sign. And then he flashes the factory GM firmware onto the clone MDI. Even better.

Looks like I can get an MDI clone module for about $200 (or $220 shipped from US). There are also pirated Tech2Win options but I'm not even going to bother.

This would also be a clone but it seems like this setup should work? That would suck to have to spend another $255 (or $275) making this work as that's almost as much as the Tech 2 clone package (that I bought years ago and split with Adam). But then if I am going to pay the dealer $150 or whatever, I would rather put that $150 toward a tool and do it myself (yes, still stubborn).

Technically I think I just need to use a J2534 OBD-II to USB cable. I don't need MDI unless I am doing a GDS vehicle. 2008-2013 was the transition period for GM, depending on the platform. For example, the 2010 Camaro is GDS.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Ordered this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254634186533?h ... 1#rpdCntId

With tax it was $234.33. Hope I am not throwing good money after bad. But again I'd rather take the money I would have to spend at the dealer (or for a used amp) and put it towards a solution that actually works.