2008 SRX turn signal/DRL light

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
kevm14

2008 SRX turn signal/DRL light

Post by kevm14 »

Yup, another bulb. Noticed it when Jamie pulled in the driveway yesterday. Right front DRL/turn signal. It uses a 3757 dual filament bulb but I am not sure if the low wattage filament is even used. GM has a history with burnt out DRLs in such vehicles as the GMT-800 trucks. They are turn signals but on constantly when driving during the day as a DRL. I disabled the DRLs on my CTS-V, FWIW. It puts a lot of hours on the filament. Compounding the problem, I think these newer vehicles run with more volts off the alternator than what I am used to, so the bulbs are getting driven harder. That might be a factor in many of the later model car chronic bulb burn out issues.

Replacing this bulb is more or less the same procedure as the headlight. You have to slide the bumper away from the front of the car. I elected to service it on the vehicle which was kind of a pain. You have to remove 6 torx screws and pull the back cover off the DRL/fog assembly. Then the bulb twists out.

Oh yeah, it needs another TPMS sensor. Guess I'll order that up from RockAuto again. I should have replaced all of them (or the remaining 3) when I had the tires installed a little while back. At least it is only $35 for OEM.
WP_20170507_16_38_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20170507_16_38_45_Pro.jpg
WP_20170507_16_38_52_Pro.jpg
WP_20170507_16_39_00_Pro.jpg
kevm14

Re: 2008 SRX turn signal/DRL light

Post by kevm14 »

Jamie told me the left turn signal is blinking rapidly. 2 years later, the left one has burned out. I ordered a long life bulb. Fortunately it was just inspected but this is kind of a safety issue so I will fix promptly.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Did this. I think like 5 of the 6 plastic threads for the small screws that hold the rear cover onto the lamp housing broke. This really pisses me off. I would guess they were previously over torqued but who knows. Point is, this is most likely going to leak now. And I don't think it is easily fixable which means a new housing is required. The bulb works so I'll run it for now but goddamn that makes me mad...

RockAuto has aftermarket ones for $110. I guess that isn't the end of the world. Though who knows if it looks 100% like OEM. Just kills me because there was nothing wrong with this at all. It was nice and clear and not leaky. I could have like siliconed it into place but that seems like I'd just be screwing over future me.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I ordered a new housing (aftermarket). I may still RTV the housing together and save the replacement. Not sure yet. The bulb still works. Jamie never uses the fogs and I should test them but they probably still work, too.

I peeked down from the top and the back cover is definitely hanging on by a thread so I need to do something with it. I figure I may attempt to seal it together with RTV and I have a replacement housing if that plan goes wrong.