05 STS level control diagnosis

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
kevm14

Re: 05 STS level control diagnosis

Post by kevm14 »

Yup I am getting somewhere. It is confirmed defective. Here is the spec. Apparently they didn't test mine...
Dorman leveling compressor solenoid spec.jpg
I asked if he can do anything for me as Rockauto no longer carries this part. I just want to exchange the compressor for another Dorman.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Bummer.
Unfortunately we are unable to swap it out directly, it will have to go through Rock auto, if they do not carry the item they will most likely do a vendor direct order or a drop ship to get you a replacement product, sorry sir,

Nicholas Paris
Asst. Product Manager/Tech-Line
Dorman Products
215-712-5012-Desk
215-712-5512-Fax
Toll Free 1-800-868-5777 EXT-5012
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Rockauto will warranty it and provide another Dorman unit even though they don't sell them anymore.

Also, proof.
WP_20171007_11_04_02_Pro.jpg
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So I have to pay return shipping. But I can use their rates and buy a label through them. As a result, it is only going to cost $5.63 to return via FedEx. Can't really complain...

And they pay return shipping for the replacement item. So I think that is pretty fair - the auto parts store doesn't pay for my gas when I bring something back to them for replacement (or when I buy it the first time).

I initiated the process through the website and everything is easy and normal. I did have some questions where were answered via their service@rockauto.com e-mail address, though I can't say they were happy to answer my questions after the initial message...

The problem with their return process centers around when they send the wrong part (either mis-boxed or their cross-reference/applicability database is just wrong). That's when things can get messy.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Now the Dorman is back but is $234.79 instead of $214. I should have it on the way today.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Rockauto shipped my replacement. They didn't see the old one yet - they just shipped based on tracking info.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Rockauto received my old one yesterday (per FedEx) and I just received my new one. I am actually going to check the resistance on that coil...I hope it was just a bad solenoid and not a bad batch of them.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I measured the resistance. Unfortunately it measures the same 4.3 ohms as the other one did. I would say I am dealing with a bad batch situation here rather than just an oddball bum solenoid coil.

I have reached out to both Dorman and Rockauto on how to go forward here. This is disappointing.

Also, this will be a good test for how good Rockauto really is as far as customer service is concerned.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Catherine,

As you indicated I had no difficulties with the return process via the website.

However, I have bad news. I just received the replacement compressor. I checked the resistance of the exhaust solenoid coil and it is the same ~4.3 ohms as the original Dorman part. I believe we are looking at a bad batch here, rather than just a bad part.

I have already had an open discussion with Dorman about this and I don't mind working with them and you to resolve this but I do want this resolved.

At this point I don't think I should initiate a return of this part without further discussion and some assurances that a known good/tested part is shipped to me. I also hope I do not continue to incur return shipping charges as this is not my fault - I won't even install the new one on my car as I know it won't work just as the original one did.

Please let me know what our next steps are.
I got a very quick reply (from a different CSR):
Dear Kevin,

I'm sorry there was an issue with your order. Since this is the second defective unit you received, you are right we cannot continue replacing it hoping for a different result. We will take this part back for a refund of the part cost and the original shipping paid. You can view and print your return instructions through our Order Status & Returns page. You will find a prepaid shipping label at the bottom of the return instructions. You will receive your refund within 3 business days after tracking information shows our warehouse has received your return. We will email you when the refund is issued.

For further information, please see our Help pages.

Thank you,

Devin
RockAuto Customer Service
And my reply:
Devin,

That is a very fair offer, thank you.

However, since my ultimate goal and desire is to restore load leveling to my car, I want to end up with a working compressor at the end of this process. Therefore, I am open to working with you (and Dorman if necessary) to make that happen, even if it takes longer to get to the end. Are there any options for doing this? Dorman provided their spec for this solenoid and the design spec is correct - I think they just had a bad batch of solenoids when assembling the unit.

It looks like my only other option is the A1 Cardone reman, though it is more expensive and I selected the Dorman part because it was brand new (and a bit less expensive). I have been a RockAuto customer for a very long time and would like to continue that, so I am hoping we can come to some kind of resolution, as long as I end up with a working air compressor!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Hmm.
Dear Kevin,

I am sorry but we are not able to continue replacing an item that has shown to be defective twice. We will need to process a refund for this part. If you want to place a new order for a different brand, you are welcome to do so on our website.

Thank you,

Devin
RockAuto Customer Service
Shucks. Well it's not like Napa would have done any better. Or Amazon. A return is usually considered the path of lease resistance to the customer. Except in my case, because I still want a functional compressor.

What I am considering is to just return it and get the A1 Cardone reman which will most likely be guaranteed to work since it is a reman. But I want to give Dorman a chance to reply. I think they would be interested in this QC issue, especially when they have a patient customer on the other end willing to work with them. We'll see.