05 STS level control diagnosis

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
kevm14

Re: 05 STS level control diagnosis

Post by kevm14 »

I'm not entirely sure which end is the problem.

On the drive in I kind of visualized sticking a drill bit into the air bag nipple and turning it by hand to see if there's anything restricting the orifice. Turns out that didn't fix it - I'll actually have to do something other than visualize.

I am bothered by the fact that I put 120 psi of shop air into the dryer of the compressor, triggered the exhaust relay and heard exactly nothing being released. This was the case with both the Dorman and A1 Cardone.

I think I saw another guy with an A1 Cardone pump say his rear end sits high and he thought that was normal (it's not). Maybe what I really need is to get a GM compressor, which more than one poster suggested. Price on GM Parts Direct: $435.33. I'm not in a hurry to spend that kind of money right now so I'll live with it at this time.

Eventually I might try to take the solenoid off and take a look at it on a bench. Again, not in a hurry.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

So as I said in the level sensor thread, my air compressor is riding on my muffler due to weld failure where Adam tried to reattach a bracket that rusted off. Yeah, New England is great.

Well the last few weeks I've noticed my low beams are definitely aimed higher than they used to be. I've been scratching my head but it may mean that something has failed in the air compressor system. The car looks totally level but with the air compressor not exhausting the way it was, it ended up with a little bit of a rake, which it seems to have lost. So this may mean that something isn't working.

Not a big deal. Hopefully an air line didn't melt on the muffler or something. That's probably what happened....sigh. I guess I'll find out the next time there is enough weight in the rear to require the compressor...it will either not turn on, or it will run and not do anything. Maybe I should have just left the whole thing alone from the beginning. I rarely carry enough stuff to need the compressor anyway.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

The compressor runs normally during its short diagnostic run time shortly after startup. So I guess I probably have a melted plastic line? I'll check....at some point.