08 SRX door not unlocking

Wiring, DIY, lighting, etc.
kevm14

08 SRX door not unlocking

Post by kevm14 »

I typed some stuff and then I lost it.

SRX needs a left rear door lock actuator, at least according to my diagnosis. P/N 25876522 and is discontinued but found NOS on eBay for like $60. GM seems to be among the worst for maintaining availability of replacement parts. This is my newest vehicle. Rockauto does not have it, before you ask.

Side note: This and the Roadmaster driver's door are the only intermittent power lock actuators that I've ever had if you don't count the ziptie fix for my Camaro.

There is also a "without theft deterrent" and "with theft deterrent.". I got the theft deterrent one - didn't realize they made such a base model of these but I guess a RWD V6 or something awful like that...

This is still intermittent and Jamie had complained about it. But now I saw it for myself. It just sometimes does not unlock the left rear door. It always opens from the inside with no issues or from the outside after pulling up the lock. I am assuming a new actuator will solve it. The lock manually moves up and down perfectly freely and normally so I don't think anything mechanical is binding.
kevm14

Re: 08 SRX door not unlocking

Post by kevm14 »

Got the part. They really centralized the LRU here. It is literally everything related to the door latch. Makes assembly easier but I prefer the old school multiple component approach...no wonder why this was so expensive.
20190812_172131.jpg
Also I tested the lock. It is not currently even locking that door. Not great...need to tackle this next weekend. Hopefully not too bad.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

I kind of procrastinated on this one. The door not locking didn't bother me too much and the kids just opened it from inside which worked fine. So I put it off. Finally decided to tackle this. Wasn't too bad. The hardest part was taking the door panel off which I guess I expected. There are 9 retainers that attach it. It was very tight to the door so it was hard to get a tool in there. Also, I found it odd that the speaker is attached to the door panel rather than the door itself. There is also an electrical connector that just pushes together as the door panel reattaches which is like the STS. Modern assembly. The number of components inside is actually fairly low, at least from an LRU standpoint. There seems to be less going on than a B-body door because more stuff is integrated together instead of having discrete components all over the place.

Anyway, the steps went something like this:
- Remove door panel. 1 screw under the interior door latch release lever (pop the cover off). And 2 screws under a cover behind the main door pull. I struggled with this one trying not to scratch up the door panel. Release retainers. Pull up and out. Oh, release the door latch lever cable which is the only thing holding the door panel to the door.
- Remove the upper corner portion of the water shield. Just sort of pull it back and let the glue release.
- Pop open the clip that holds a rod that goes to the exterior door handle and pull that rod out of the way.
- Remove 3 torx bolts that hold the whole latch assembly to the door. Work it out by pulling the manual door lock through an access hole, get the assembly out, and disconnect the wiring harness.
- Transfer the manual door lock and rod over to the new latch assembly.
- Assembly is the reverse of removal.

Here is the old one.
20190928_162657.jpg
Water shield pulled back. This is heavier stuff than what they used on the B-bodies in the 90s. You can see the main door panel electrical connector as well as the lock assembly harness.
20190928_162709.jpg
Empty latch holes.
20190928_162716.jpg
Close up of the main connector.
20190928_162723.jpg
The exterior door handle has "CTS" written in paint pen....the 1st gen CTS used entirely different handles. Maybe these are the same as the 2nd gen CTS and this is actually a replacement?
20190928_162731_HDR.jpg
This is a GMT-265 according to the water shield.
20190928_162751.jpg
Some stuff inside the door panel. Is Draxlmaier a supplier? Also I presume non-smoker means no ashtray though I am not sure that is even available.
20190928_164324.jpg
20190928_164328.jpg
Speaker. 134mm seems to translate to 5-1/4. The magnet is a decent size but the cone doesn't look all that special. Not sure about the acoustics of having the speaker attached to the door panel...also note the date is only a month older than the door panel which is not even made in the same continent. Supply chain stuff.
20190928_164333.jpg
And the whole back side of the door panel for some reason.
20190928_164342.jpg
Overall this wasn't too bad. Works perfectly. I even adjusted the striker up finally so the door closes smoothly. Fairly satisfying and NOT one of those jobs that I finish and think "I hope I never have to do that again, that was awful." Always good.

I think this car has around 131k. Should have plenty of years left.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

kevm14 wrote:The exterior door handle has "CTS" written in paint pen....the 1st gen CTS used entirely different handles. Maybe these are the same as the 2nd gen CTS and this is actually a replacement?
Looks like the rear handles are common between the SRX, STS and 2nd gen CTS.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dräxlmaier_Group

This is the only part that mentions Cadillac.
1998-2007
In 1998 Dräxlmaier obtained control of HIB Holzindustrie Bruchsal GmbH.[19] The acquisition allows Dräxlmaier to add premium wood trim to its product lineup. The Dräxlmaier Technology Vilsbiburg in Center opened its doors the same year. The ultramodern architecture supports the entire process chain and houses modeling, tool and die, prototype facilities and SEP. The following year Dräxlmaier got to be the first system supplier to manufacture a full leather interior for the Mercedes-Benz CL Coupe. In 2000 the Dräxlmaier Group receives the "Formula Q"[20] quality prize from Volkswagen, awarded to the 20 best suppliers for absolute reliability, high quality and zero defects, etc. This follows on the heels of various other prizes awarded by different OEM partners. In the same year, Dräxlmaier designed and manufactured the complete Interior for the BMW Z8, the first order of this magnitude from BMW. Porsche, Jaguar and Cadillac are won over as new customers. In 2002 Dräxlmaier supplies interiors for the Maybach luxury limousine. Dräxlmaier was responsible for the entire electrical system, the interior and the fine wood trim.[21] During the years 98 – 08 new facilities and plants opened in Germany (Landau an der Isar and Achim), China (Shenyang), and Mexico (San Luis Potosí) ), South Africa, Spain, Thailand and Moldova[22]