Power out late 10/29

Power out? How about an inverter connected to your car?
kevm14

Re: Power out late 10/29

Post by kevm14 »

Also doesn't help that the governor doesn't hold a perfect RPM across the different loads. I can tell by looking at the frequency output (Hz). When it is more unloaded (<15%) I get 62Hz. When the big burner kicks on, it drops to 58.5Hz, because RPM drops a little. Quick math suggests about a 200 rpm drop. That explains some of the voltage drop. Ideally it would run exactly at 3,600 rpm and output exactly 60Hz as a result (and because it is unregulated, the output voltage is what it is). Seems like it runs more like 3,750 unloaded and drops to 3,500 with some load. Not totally unreasonable.

Not sure if that is anything I can adjust - or what "brand new" performance is of this fully mechanical governor. Probably not worth replacing springs and stuff.

Most hour meters also have a tach mode...another reason to get one.
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Power is back!

My PowerBack started chirping which was odd. It is usually a continuous alarm. Turns out the battery is low. I still heard it so it worked. Flipped the gen breaker off, and the main on and, yup, back in business. Shut down the gen...she did well!
kevm14

Post by kevm14 »

Here's some sweet nerdery: I printed out my phase table for my breaker box so I could quickly reference it and make a judgement about simultaneous operation of certain high draw items.
WP_20171031_19_58_32_Pro.jpg
I referenced this diagram on my phone or computer probably like 10 times before realizing I could just print it out. I would say it helped me exercise good judgement because I had no issues even as I got more bold with loads and appliances.